Samsung Galaxy S4 preview thread (was "The Galaxy S4 gets announced today, Are you excited?")

Rukin1

looks like good rf performance but it's still ridiculous they didn't include 800 LTE

It sounds like Sprint is ditching dual band LTE phones and jumping straight for tri-band LTE phones. So unless Sprint was ready to add BC41 (2500 MHz) LTE along with BC 26 (800 MHz ESMR) LTE support, Sprint will continue to just release 1900 MHz LTE only phones.

• Like 1

Why not? Just curious as I'm not as educated on this as you are but i had hoped for 800 mhz support, too. If people usually have a phone for the standard 2 years...why wouldn't sprint and samsung think to include 800 support as they plan to offer 800 mhz lte service well inside of this time window? Thanks in advance for your input.

• Like 1

Also, Sprint is hitting all the sites in their LTE markets. The site density of Network Vision makes 5x5 less painful. See Chicago and KC as examples.

looks like good rf performance but it's still ridiculous they didn't include 800 LTE

We have no information about the 800Mhz FIT or any testing. I think the only confirmed 800Mhz LTE info is that one FIT was going to be somewhere in Montana. Sprint is skipping Dual band LTE for Triband LTE, so it will be end of the year for phones with more than PCS A-G LTE.

We have no information about the 800Mhz FIT or any testing. I think the only confirmed 800Mhz LTE info is that one FIT was going to be somewhere in Montana. Sprint is skipping Dual band LTE for Triband LTE, so it will be end of the year for phones with more than PCS A-G LTE.

From looking at the Sprint press releases from 2012, the last few high end Sprint LTE phones released late last year were the LG Optimus G on 11/11/12 and Galaxy Note 2 on 10/25/12. Hopefully this year these same 2 LTE phones will contain the tri-band LTE support that we are all hoping for with the LG Optimus G 2 and the Galaxy Note 3. I think the chances of the iPhone 5S or 6 with tri-band LTE support is less likely.

Why not? Just curious as I'm not as educated on this as you are but i had hoped for 800 mhz support, too. If people usually have a phone for the standard 2 years...why wouldn't sprint and samsung think to include 800 support as they plan to offer 800 mhz lte service well inside of this time window? Thanks in advance for your input.

yeah I don't see why they couldn't just add these bands in there to future proof the phone. I know a few phones had 1x on 800 way before Sprint started nv

yeah I don't see why they couldn't just add these bands in there to future proof the phone. I know a few phones had 1x on 800 way before Sprint started nv

It would most likely cost more to produce the phones, taking away from Sprint's bottomline on devices. Also, they can try to sell you a new device next year when the service is live. It's all about the all mighty dollar...

It would most likely cost more to produce the phones, taking away from Sprint's bottomline on devices. Also, they can try to sell you a new device next year when the service is live. It's all about the all mighty dollar...

that's what upsets me. I forgot what smaller carrier had their phone go through the fcc but it had four different bands for lte. Sprint could have done it

that's what upsets me. I forgot what smaller carrier had their phone go through the fcc but it had four different bands for lte. Sprint could have done it

That is business and it shouldn't upset you. I'm guessing if a smaller carrier had a device pass through with extra bands, it was because it was cheaper to piggy back on a larger carriers device with a small change rather than add something completely different.

No other carrier in the will have LTE in the SMR spectrum.

• 2 weeks later...

When do you guys think this phone will be released on Sprint? Now that the HTC One is being released on April 19th, I think the S4 should be released in mid to late May.

first 2 weeks of may for Sprint. Last 2 weeks of may or early june for verizon.

really if you go to sprint website you can preregister. Where did you hear may

I'm eligible for a phone upgrade come Aug 1; right now my inclination is to go from an S2 to an S3 given that the S4 will only operate in the 1900 MHz LTE band; the S3 undoubtedly will drop in price significantly between now & Aug

So with there multiband lte woth they have all three active at the towers or just shut down everything. Than just have 800

huh?

I'm eligible for a phone upgrade come Aug 1; right now my inclination is to go from an S2 to an S3 given that the S4 will only operate in the 1900 MHz LTE band; the S3 undoubtedly will drop in price significantly between now & Aug

By then the S3 might be free. Amazonwireless already has it at 49.99 upgrade and 9.99 for new lines fyi

huh?

Yea sorry it was early at work lol. I don't understand if the next galaxy s4 only does 1900 lte. Nobody wants it. Are they shutting off 1900mhz? Or is it because 800mhz will theoretically go farther and doesn't support the 2600mhz.

Yea sorry it was early at work lol. I don't understand if the next galaxy s4 only does 1900 lte. Nobody wants it. Are they shutting off 1900mhz? Or is it because 800mhz will theoretically go farther and doesn't support the 2600mhz.

Are you asking why some people are disappointed that the S4 will only support 1900 and not 800 or 2600?