Samsung Galaxy S4 preview thread (was "The Galaxy S4 gets announced today, Are you excited?")

Rukin1

Welcome to the Official Galaxy S4 Preview thread.

As the MOST anticapted phone next to the note 3 is set to be released. on Sprint April 26th, At&T April 26th, Verizon May 1st, and other carriers are unknown. As we all have either figured out or are finding out now, the galaxy S4 Will not support Sprints 800MHZ. But Sprint's version supports international options. Me personally, I will be getting it. Not sure if it'll be the Next Friday after it comes out, or sometime later. I really want it, I LOVE the Galaxy series. My mother has the note2. I was not satisfied with the radio in it compared to the GS3. I had coverage where she had hardly any. I love the Galaxy s3. It impresses me alot, But I guess coming from the LG Optimus S, it's MAJOR leap LOL! at first, it was huge. But I got used to it quickly and feel as if it's perfect so the galaxy s4 with the 5"(4.99") Phone will just be as perfect, maybe a little bigger. But just right in my hands, and as we all know. Phones of this size we are all getting used to, It's perfect for watching HD video's. So I'm really ready to test out the Galaxy S4.

Here are some specs and information:

New Customers get a 100$ Discount.

It's 250$ If you are upgrading+ Activation fee's. And If you go through best buy, It'll be around 300$.

So new customers would pay 150$ and if you go through Best Buy, it'll be around 200$.

The phone will come with Android 4.2.2, androids latest and greatest OS. (For now anyways:).

13MP Camera rear and 2 MP front facing camera. The Processor will be an amazing 1.9GHz QUAD-CORE. It will have multi-window support so you can run two apps side by side(Or top and bottom). The touchwiz home app has been updated, Completely new settings menu and updated UI.

Some Detailed information.
  • Dimensions: 5.4 inches x 2.7 inches x 0.31 inches (136.6 mm x 69.8 mm x 7.9 mm)
  • Weight: 4.59 ounces (130 grams)
  • Display: 5-inch full HD (1080p) Super AMOLED™ Plus (1080×1920) touchscreen display
  • Battery: 2,600mAh Lithium-Ion battery
  • Memory: 2GB RAM, 16GB ROM and microSD™ card slot supporting up to 64GB memory card

What do you think? Are you going to get the GS4?

I want to know what you think about it all.

http://www.ibtimes.c...r-money-1125593

Im already thinking of ways to get my hands on that bad boy...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

Well meh, My phone was eligible in October. But they upgraded my airave. LOL so I'm going to use my moms upgrade because used my line 2 upgrade to the note 2.

It will be interesting to see how they improve an already great device. I just hope they don't go backwards in the RF department. I have the Note2 and too spoiled by the nice screen size to go down.

• Like 2

From the leaks, the hardware doesn't seem all that impressive.

I suppose some of the software tweaks might be interesting, but who knows how practical they will be.

The most interesting thing is that Samsung is working its way out of OLED. While Samsung does make PLS display (which is similar to IPS) for mobile devices, their recent equity purchase in Sharp gives them some options away from OLED.

So, only thing I am curious about is how the display will look. At this point, amazing IPS 1920x1080 in a ~5" phone is becoming the norm. OLED hasn't kept up, so I'll definitely want to compare displays vs. other flagship phones.

I am excited. Although I'm more interested in the HTC One, they don't seem to want to give us a release date on that one. I'm sure the S4 will be great, and if it comes out sooner, it will be tempting. Who knows, if they do the right thing with the display, maybe I'll even find it more appealing than the One.

Yes...but my wife will kill me if I get it early..but then a month later she'llbe using it all the time and I get the dumb phone to carry around all the time..that's what happened when I got the S2

Did anyone see this video? It purports to show some of the new features like the smart pause:

http://gizmodo.com/5...ure-recognition

Very interesting.

Here's purported shots:

http://gizmodo.com/5990481/here-are-the-clearest-pictures-of-whats-probably-the-samsung-galaxy-s-iv

I'm having the same feeling with the GS4 as I did when the iPhone 4S came out. What can be possibly different to make me want to part with my money to upgrade out of sequence? So far, I'm not moved by the leaks. Maybe something will change tonight.

It makes sense for someone who didn't upgrade last year with the GS3 (or other similar device) to move up to the GS4. But digiblur makes a good point. The GS3 is such a solid RF performer, that if the GS4 reduces that any, that alone could be enough for people who spend a lot o time in marginal and weak signal areas to stick with the GS3 or Note 2.

However, if it supports LTE Band 26 or 41, where do I preorder? :hah:

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 3

Take my monies Sammy!!! 1080P!!! yep yep... although I think i might hold out for the Gnote 8.0 or just buy both :P29071_1_galaxy_note_8_0_3g_could_be_hitting_us_shelves_soon_arrives_at_fcc_for_approval.jpg

Why won't Sammy do something with that hardware though. I regret getting the EVO LTE but from a hardware point of view they kill Samsung. The One looks like it make continue that trend. I wonder how many more handsents it could sell it they would use metal instead of plastic.

...although I think i might hold out for the Gnote 8.0 or just buy both :P29071_1_galaxy_note_8_0_3g_could_be_hitting_us_shelves_soon_arrives_at_fcc_for_approval.jpg

Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0: it's a phone, as long as you are an NBA 7 footer.

AJ

• Like 2

I'm having the same feeling with the GS4 as I did when the iPhone 4S came out. What can be possibly different to make me want to part with my money to upgrade out of sequence? So far, I'm not moved by the leaks. Maybe something will change tonight.

It makes sense for someone who didn't upgrade last year with the GS3 (or other similar device) to move up to the GS4. But digiblur makes a good point. The GS3 is such a solid RF performer, that if the GS4 reduces that any, that alone could be enough for people who spend a lot o time in marginal and weak signal areas to stick with the GS3 or Note 2.

However, if it supports LTE Band 26 or 41, where do I preorder? :hah:

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

I'm in a practically identical situation. I really don't want a bigger phone than the SIII is already, and this will definitely be an out-of-sequence, full-price upgrade if I get the S IV. However all that goes out the window if it supports LTE in SMR and BRS; I'll probably be buying the first phone that supports LTE in those bands, so long as it isn't a serious RF regression from my SIII.

Why won't Sammy do something with that hardware though. I regret getting the EVO LTE but from a hardware point of view they kill Samsung. The One looks like it make continue that trend. I wonder how many more handsents it could sell it they would use metal instead of plastic.

Different strokes... I actually like the look of the Titanium Note2, downright sexy. Not so much on the white phones. My phones live in cases since I don't carry the useless insurance on them so I really don't see what they look like anyways. Most of the average population can care less about the plastic/metal thing that keeps getting brought up. I've never heard someone talk about except on tech forums.

Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0: it's a phone, as long as you are an NBA 7 footer.

AJ

That one might be a bit big for one-handed operation and typical jeans pockets. Although my son carries his Nexus7 in his front pocket of his pants and/or hoody.

• Like 1

Take my monies Sammy!!! 1080P!!! yep yep... although I think i might hold out for the Gnote 8.0 or just buy both :P29071_1_galaxy_note_8_0_3g_could_be_hitting_us_shelves_soon_arrives_at_fcc_for_approval.jpg

I'd have to laff my arse off if I saw somebody holding this up to their head talking....

Kind of off topic, but say the GS4 does have support for LTE Band 26 or 41 (or both), and when Sprint starts to deploy ... will we have a way through maybe the engineering screen to easily identify if we are connected to either LTE Band 26 or 41?

I'm excited but I think we'll be getting the same treatment that we did last year with the GS3, not that it was necessarily a bad thing but it was still a letdown nonetheless. I was hoping we in the US would get the octa but it looks like we may get the same setup as the HTC One, which isn’t bad or anything by any means. I just don’t know if it is worth getting the S4 when I can get basically the same thing in the Note 2 (besides a feature here and there). I’ll wait and see once they do unveil it but it is looking like we may get the shaft again here in the US.