Sprint now offers shared, capped data plans for small business subs

WiWavelength

Consumers want what they are sold, if they are sold unlimited, then that is what they expect.

You can neither buy nor sell infinity.

;)

AJ

No doubting that. When my cable modem went to tiered data caps I check it a couple of times during the month. Then when I notice I have tons of data left in my cap I fire up some legal Linux torrents and contribute to the cause for several days to burn up my cap. Have to get what I pay for and find I use even more data than used to before the caps.

Honestly, digiblur, I find that attitude disgusting. Some of you refuse to accept that a shared resource has to be managed and that maybe, just maybe providers institute caps to manage supply and demand, not to soak your wallet.

You guys should find an all you can eat restaurant. Then, when closing time hits before you have pigged out enough, you should burn down the restaurant out of revenge.

AJ

• Like 2

Honestly, digiblur, I find that attitude disgusting. Some of you refuse to accept that a shared resource has to be managed and that maybe, just maybe providers institute caps to manage supply and demand, not to soak your wallet.

You guys should find an all you can eat restaurant. Then, when closing time hits before you have pigged out enough, you should burn down the restaurant out of revenge.

AJ

LMAO, I used to wait to the end of my billing cycle and use all my cell minutes years ago.

• Like 1

[...]You guys should find an all you can eat restaurant. Then, when closing time hits before you have pigged out enough, you should burn down the restaurant out of revenge.

AJ

I would never...I love food too much. :D

There's always fiber if you want an dedicated home internet connect(Google, FiOS and the likes).

• Like 1

AJ

If only people would do that to smorgasbords!!! LMAO

AJ

The attitude of the data cap to speeds ratio is disgusting. 30 megabits can mow down 200 gig and 100 megabit can mow down the 400gb cap in no time. What's the point of those speeds?

The provider backed me into this corner of basically giving me a bucket of data for my money. I am not going to let it go to waste.

Same thing would happen if the buffet down the street changed from all you can eat to a 5lbs limit. I would line the wife's purse with a ziploc and bring my 5lbs home with me since that's what I paid for.

Little different subject.. But when I get stuck on Channel 100 and finally auth after 10 reboots downtown, I fire up a Linux torrent on my phone and let it eat. The download doesn't do much though with only 30 kilobit speeds but I do my part in maybe getting more people to open tickets on the site so Sprint would fix the issue that have been going on for many months. Probably just putting more distaste in people's mind about Sprint though as people probably don't have time to sit at work on the phone with Sprint for an hour.

Sent from my little Note2

• Like 2

I would never...I love food too much. :D

There's always fiber if you want an dedicated home internet connect(Google, FiOS and the likes).

I wish. 1.5mbit ATT DSL or 4 or so cable modem tiers to pick out of.

The cell companies advertise it though. :(

Joe, you seem like just the guy to buy my oceanfront property in Arizona. I will give you a great deal...

AJ

• Like 1

Same thing would happen if the buffet down the street changed from all you can eat to a 5lbs limit. I would line the wife's purse with a ziploc and bring my 5lbs home with me since that's what I paid for.

I've seen too many times where people feel they should use as much unlimited data as possible because that's what they feel they paid for. Some confuse unlimited with infinity.

My tenants in the home behind me also found out that even though I included electricity in their rent, it didn't mean they could use as much as they physically could possibly muster. When I put them on their own meter, their consumption dropped 75%. Go figure.

Robert via LG Optimus G using Tapatalk

• Like 3

For the record, the reason why hard speed limits were adopted for highways in the US can mostly be traced back to the 1970s oil crisis. The only state since the NMSL was repealed to adopt a "reasonable and prudent" limit (which was reinstated due to the end of the NMSL) didn't have to go back to a hard limit due to driver behavior, but instead because the state courts ruled that the R&P standard was too arbitrary to enforce, so speeding tickets were impossible to issue.

I also think digiblur reflects some basic human psychology: if you feel like you're paying for X, you either want to use most of it or feel hosed by paying for X when you get 50% of X, but it doesn't work that way for unlimited. For example, I'm annoyed with Sprint that the basic 2-line unlimited plan has 1500 minutes I'll never use 40% of, even though I'd probably end up paying around the same price for 750 minutes.

In any event, I think unlimited is likely to stick around on consumer plans for the foreseeable future. That said a lower-rate, capped plan might be introduced as a "teaser" for competitive purposes and to drive up-sells.

I am sure that the state you are referring to is Montana. But that court challenge was predicated on a citation due to the ambiguity of what is "reasonable." So, my point holds: human nature requires stated limits to know what is reasonable.

AJ

• Like 2

If you advertise unlimited, then they can't redefine unlimited to miean 2.5Gb or 3 or 5. Now, they can throttle your speed to enforce fairness but total consumption caps are deceitful when your are promised unlimited.

The Sprint plans are nothing to write home about. At this stage I would definitely go with Verizon since they have the better coverage.

• Like 1

I would have to say that I am the same way. When I put gas in my car I dont pay for 11 gallons and only put 5 in the tank. if I was paying for 2 gigs of data then i would utilize 2 gigs, compared to the less than 100meg i typically use now.

I also understand that many people confuse unlimited with infinite. Im not one of those people thankfully.

• Like 4

If you advertise unlimited, then they can't redefine unlimited to miean 2.5Gb or 3 or 5. Now, they can throttle your speed to enforce fairness but total consumption caps are deceitful when your are promised unlimited.

The Sprint plans are nothing to write home about. At this stage I would definitely go with Verizon since they have the better coverage.

Fully agree on that one. I always reevaluate my costs/features/coverage every 2 years anyway. I already knew the sites by memory in my immediate area but the new maps on Sprint's site were an eye opener. Just kinda gets you down when you are in the middle of town with an usable phone due roaming or a broken evdo channel for 6+ months covering your daily work/play area. I will give them the chance to finish the NV project here though.

Let us hope that this evolves into a consumer plan offering, too. Unlimited data served a purpose in the past, but now it has grown dangerous due to advancing device capabilities that invite abuse and, ironically, "limited" because people increasingly want to use their data across multiple devices.

http://www.fiercewir...d-data-business

AJ

Personally I hope they do similar to what AT&T did. They didn't make you move to shared data, just that it was an option. While they did eventually kill it off, I hope Sprint is in a position where they can have a best of both worlds option. That would be ideal. I love the idea of having unlimited because is I do go using it a fair amount (I never really use more than 5-10GB) its nice to know that for that month I am not paying out the wazoo for data (yes I keep my posts clean of language...)

FYI, I split off discussion of T-Mobile's "uncarrier" strategy and its attack ads against AT&T into their own separate threads:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3359-t-mobiles-new-uncarrier-strategyplans/

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3360-t-mobile-if-att-thought-our-network-wasnt-great-why-did-they-try-to-buy-it/

AJ

I can't see Sprint getting rid of unlimited data for a long time if they wish to survive. Yeah NV is an improvement over how terrible things were before but most of the Chicago area is done other than downtown and its very disappointing. There are still lots of coverage gaps and if you stand right near a tower you get incredible speeds but IF YOU CAN get a data connection you are looking at 2ish mbps speeds when lucky.

We stayed with Sprint because of unlimited data and they would fix their network,14yr+ sprint customers, and waited upgrading to smartphones due the stupid premium data fee. Now that we have bit the bullet on the high plan prices, if sprint institutes the data caps we may likely leave. Be it to a better urban coverage network or prepaid. At the moment we use <5GB total across 5 lines but not having to worry about overages is a big deal. I think some sort of throttling is much better than capping with huge overage charges.

LTE coverage in fully deployed areas will not improve until LTE deployment on 800MHz begins. And that still 9 months out from starting.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

Posts like these from XDA make me very, very sad.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=38928321

I try not to read threads on other forums about sprints service. 99% of the time they are negative. I used to try to explain the process and what service will be like in the future but users still seem to complain.

Posts like these from XDA make me very, very sad.

http://forum.xda-dev....php?p=38928321

I hopped in and tried to be rational, but I have a sinking feeling that I'm going to regret it. XDA "Developers" is a great dev resource, but is also otherwise filled with imbeciles and fools.
  • Like 7

I hopped in and tried to be rational, but I have a sinking feeling that I'm going to regret it. XDA "Developers" is a great dev resource, but is also otherwise filled with imbeciles and fools.

Looks like you'd have been better off talking to a wall.

• Like 2

Looks like you'd have been better off talking to a wall.

Yes, as I was afraid of.

My father, who was a car salesman for many years, put it like this once:

80% of people you meet are good people. They're fine people. They're nice. They care about others. They have the capability to love.

20% are a**holes.

Of that 20%, 80% of them you can turn around by being nice back to them. They're not angry at you, they're angry that they're going through a bad divorce. They're angry that they didn't get enough coffee that morning. If you're kind to them, they'll get over it, and come around and start smiling back at you. They'll laugh with you, and their day will be brighter thanks to your unconditional kindness.

But of that 20%, 20% of them (4% of the total population) you cannot please. They will be angry, unhappy, entitled, no matter what you do. They may just hate themselves, or they may be sociopaths. They may have some kind of vendetta, or may be unable to understand emotion. Whatever the issue, they cannot be reasoned with, and you should not take it personally.

I have found that the 2-4% of people who churn from a carrier to line up almost perfectly with this, and the general population tends to follow it as well.

• Like 6

Yes, as I was afraid of.

My father, who was a car salesman for many years, put it like this once:

80% of people you meet are good people. They're fine people. They're nice. They care about others. They have the capability to love.

20% are a**holes.

Of that 20%, 80% of them you can turn around by being nice back to them. They're not angry at you, they're angry that they're going through a bad divorce. They're angry that they didn't get enough coffee that morning. If you're kind to them, they'll get over it, and come around and start smiling back at you. They'll laugh with you, and their day will be brighter thanks to your unconditional kindness.

But of that 20%, 20% of them (4% of the total population) you cannot please. They will be angry, unhappy, entitled, no matter what you do. They may just hate themselves, or they may be sociopaths. They may have some kind of vendetta, or may be unable to understand emotion. Whatever the issue, they cannot be reasoned with, and you should not take it personally.

I have found that the 2-4% of people who churn from a carrier to line up almost perfectly with this, and the general population tends to follow it as well.

That's probably true, but with a job being in Customer Service, I tend to think those numbers might be a bit off. :rolleyes:

• Like 1