Sprint offers open enrollment for device protection in March

kckid

"Sprint customers who opted against device insurance and are now regretting their decision have a small window of opportunity to right their wrongs: during the month of March, Sprint is offering open enrollment for device protection, regardless of when the device was purchased."

http://www.pocketables.com/2013/03/sprint-offers-open-enrollment-for-device-protection-in-march.html

Honestly many don't think it's worth it, but I had a phone that was broken in the past and happened to call Sprint during one of these windows. Signed up, replaced my OG Evo, and canceled. It was way cheaper than buying a new or used device. So while it may not be worth it to many, those with phones limping along just got a breath of fresh air. :)

Its odd to me how sprint doubled the deductible after increasing the monthly deductible by a third.... the retail cost of android devices, on average, is no more than it was a few years ago.

If a high quality replacement device could be guaranteed, I could maybe stomach it. However, in my TEP / less reliable device days, I was given far too many poorly refurbished, heavily used, or just downright defective replacements.

I find ESRP (the first $4/month part of TEP) to be a rather good idea for your average consumer. Covers all electrical and mechanical failure due to wear and tear or manufacturer's defects. Speaker goes out? Touchscreen stops working? Charging port cuts out? Well, if you don't have it, you can pay $50 a pop.

Many, many customers I've talked to have used this benefit of TEP many, many times and never knew it was saving them money. They feel it's no problem to cancel as they've "never used the insurance". While that may be true... this isn't insurance, it's an extended warranty. $96 over 2 years, probably worth it.

I have also found that it is rare to have issues with reconditioned phones shipped out through ESRP. While it does happen, there are also just as many "horror stories" that are, in reality, customer abuse, often to try and get a different model of phone.

In store repairs doesn't always work out though.

Once upon a time, I had a EVO 4G(this was about 2 years ago). One day the LCD panel just...died. Fortunately, there was a Sprint store near my old HS. I went in to the store, gave them the phone(I had TEP at the time), and came back an hour later to pick it up.

I picked-up my phone and everything seemed to be great & didn't have to pay out-of-pocket to Asurion to get it replaced. They did, however, notate on the account that the phone was rooted(according to the rep, they did me a "favor" by repairing the phone). I was unable to flash the phone back beforehand to a stock ROM since I couldn't see what's on the screen.

Anyway, I thanked the rep and went home. Soon after arriving home, I realized that the entire lower right of the touch panel is unresponsive. Thus, I went back to the Sprint store the following day and asked them to switch out the assembly. Unfortunately, the LCD/Touch screen assembly was the only 'functioning' one they had. I asked if they can give me an replacement EVO, they declined.

The only other official Sprint repair center was pretty far away(and had no means to get there, at least via mass transit).

Thus, I was stuck with a partially-function EVO(but at least I could get back on a stock ROM, so there's that).

After a few days, I remembered reading about Sprint's Advanced Exchange program about a year back. Unfortunately, by the time I remembered, Advanced Exchange's web portal was discontinued due to abuse. However, the program is still available via calling CS directly.

Thus I did, and 24 hours later, a working, refurb EVO arrived at my doorstep & the defective EVO was sent back to Sprint. It didn't cost me a dime(but I do believe I had to pay a security deposit, which was refunded when they received the phone).

What surprises me is that the rep never mentioned this program to me, only offering the Asurion option. It was probably due to the fact that they didn't know of it, but if I didn't remember reading about Advance Exchange, I probably would've went to Asurion and paid for a refurb. In the end, bad TEP experiences do happen, they're just not common.

I have also found that it is rare to have issues with reconditioned phones shipped out through ESRP. While it does happen, there are also just as many "horror stories" that are, in reality, customer abuse, often to try and get a different model of phone.

That is good to hear as an indicator of more recent experiences.

Ages ago, I had consistently maddening experiences with the LG Musiq, LG Fusic, HTC Touch Pro and Palm Pre. Was never motivated by wanting "another phone" but just couldn't keep one in hand that didn't have some nutty defect. My least favorite TEP replacements were the ones that had scratched housings and scratched screens.

In this respect, Samsung has been a godsend for me. 3 Galaxies and a Note with no defects.

My least favorite TEP replacements were the ones that had scratched housings and scratched screens.

I've only been working with Sprint for a little over a year, but it appears that every replacement uses brand new housings and screens. I have yet to see a replacement device arrive with any kind of damage to it,

I picked-up my phone and everything seemed to be great & didn't have to pay out-of-pocket to Asurion to get it replaced. They did, however, notate on the account that the phone was rooted(according to the rep, they did me a "favor" by repairing the phone). I was unable to flash the phone back beforehand to a stock ROM since I couldn't see what's on the screen.

Yep, normally something like a bad LCD is completely covered under ESRP.

Now, I don't know if this has changed, but (and I can tell you this because the document has been leaked to the public) a phone being rooted or not has absolutely no bearing on what we can do to a phone. No idea what he was talking about.

Anyway, I thanked the rep and went home. Soon after arriving home, I realized that the entire lower right of the touch panel is unresponsive. Thus, I went back to the Sprint store the following day and asked them to switch out the assembly. Unfortunately, the LCD/Touch screen assembly was the only 'functioning' one they had.
And this is why Sprint has a thing called the "post repair quality product check". It's where, after you fix something, you test everything to make sure you didn't screw up. Helps stop issues like these. Bad parts happen. Mistakes happen. It's all in how you deal with it.

I asked if they can give me an replacement EVO, they declined.

The only other official Sprint repair center was pretty far away(and had no means to get there, at least via mass transit).

Thus, I was stuck with a partially-function EVO(but at least I could get back on a stock ROM, so there's that).

After a few days, I remembered reading about Sprint's Advanced Exchange program about a year back. Unfortunately, by the time I remembered, Advanced Exchange's web portal was discontinued due to abuse. However, the program is still available via calling CS directly.

Thus I did, and 24 hours later, a working, refurb EVO arrived at my doorstep & the defective EVO was sent back to Sprint. It didn't cost me a dime(but I do believe I had to pay a security deposit, which was refunded when they received the phone).

What surprises me is that the rep never mentioned this program to me, only offering the Asurion option. It was probably due to the fact that they didn't know of it, but if I didn't remember reading about Advance Exchange, I probably would've went to Asurion and paid for a refurb. In the end, bad TEP experiences do happen, they're just not common.

You see, this is what I find very strange. To my knowledge, repair centers have always been able to process Advanced Exchanges for customers. If a device issue cannot be resolved in-store, then an exchange is ordered (or, if they have seed stock, swapped out in-store). What should have been done was just what you had to do: order a replacement phone and that's that. That the rep refused over your phone being rooted/reflashed seems like he didn't know what he was talking about, or that isn't the whole story.
  • Like 1

I've only been working with Sprint for a little over a year, but it appears that every replacement uses brand new housings and screens. I have yet to see a replacement device arrive with any kind of damage to it,

Yep, normally something like a bad LCD is completely covered under ESRP.

Now, I don't know if this has changed, but (and I can tell you this because the document has been leaked to the public) a phone being rooted or not has absolutely no bearing on what we can do to a phone. No idea what he was talking about.

And this is why Sprint has a thing called the "post repair quality product check". It's where, after you fix something, you test everything to make sure you didn't screw up. Helps stop issues like these. Bad parts happen. Mistakes happen. It's all in how you deal with it.

You see, this is what I find very strange. To my knowledge, repair centers have always been able to process Advanced Exchanges for customers. If a device issue cannot be resolved in-store, then an exchange is ordered (or, if they have seed stock, swapped out in-store). What should have been done was just what you had to do: order a replacement phone and that's that. That the rep refused over your phone being rooted/reflashed seems like he didn't know what he was talking about, or that isn't the whole story.

Exactly because the sprint store I go to already knows my phone is rooted and don't care. None of the employees do

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Honestly many don't think it's worth it, but I had a phone that was broken in the past and happened to call Sprint during one of these windows. Signed up, replaced my OG Evo, and canceled. It was way cheaper than buying a new or used device. So while it may not be worth it to many, those with phones limping along just got a breath of fresh air. :)

People like you that do this is what screws the honest people like the rest of us. Just saying.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Actually a lot of people do it. Not me per say but I've seen a lot of people on here including rob if im not mistaken saying they done the same thing. Same with tethering. U can pay for the days u only tether.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

People like you that do this is what screws the honest people like the rest of us. Just saying.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Since Sprint was the one that suggested it to me when I called them, I don't see it as a problem. Just saying. ;) And honestly I decided to keep it, so in the end I don't know if it's a net benefit or not.

• Like 1

I had a phone that was broken in the past and happened to call Sprint during one of these windows. Signed up, replaced my OG Evo, and canceled.

sure didnt sound like you kept it, and doesnt matter if the rep suggested it or not, the point is, insurance you buy after the incident with intent to use it on old damage, is fraud. fraud raises prices for all of us

Ive ran a third party repair store and ill tell you why they didn't replace it in store. The techs are paid based on their repair vs exchange rate and were more interested in their wallet than helping you. They also could just be retarded. I know one third party company here where i live now is damn near worthless. I stick to corp stores now. Many are advanced exchange stores and will order a phone anytime anything happens with tep.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

The techs are paid based on their repair vs exchange rate and were more interested in their wallet than helping you.
While that's true,
They also could just be retarded.

This is more likely the root cause. Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Part of the reason I mention this is, we actually get paid on the rate of "exchange" vs "everything else vaguely related to service work". Every time you have to explain to grandpa that he turned his ringer down and his phone isn't broken, that's one "not exchange". Any rep that can't keep their exchange numbers well under Sprint's goals is either not doing their job (aka not recording the work that's actually done), or is just really, really bad at their job (doesn't know how to fix things, refuses to follow all the steps to try and resolve issues, doesn't have parts or know how to use them, etc) and should find employment elsewhere.