The current roaming agreements are still mainly for voice so that people can make and receive calls in case of emergency, but i do not see there being an emergency reason that someone would need a 10Mb/s download speed... except maybe robert, to respond to this forum... but he already has verizon LTE b/c he pays for it.

I might conceivably see sprint changing their plans to charge for the ability to roam on vzw LTE in the future, but that would need a phone that had an extra antenna for the 700MHz band that verizon uses. Very slim chance, and since it would require special phones that are more expensive, so I do not really see it happening.

This reminds me of something I was talking to a few friends about... I never go over my minutes, and sometimes never use them at all! So on sprints higher billing tiers, what is the benefit? How on earth does sprint plan on convincing people that it is a good deal to opt into their higher priced plans without giving them only additional minutes that they don't need? If they included an amount of tethering or maybe calling to Canada/Mexico at least.

Maybe I'm crazy, but sprint needs something to make it seem worth it to pay more.

Besides the iPhone, do any other Sprint devices have chipsets and antennas that support 750Mhz LTE?

No other handsets. Of course, a few iPad models do. And most recently, a Sierra Wireless hotspot is the trailblazer, covering all currently active US LTE bands. Off the top of my head, I do not have the model number, but I started a thread about its FCC OET authorization docs back in December, if I recall correctly.

AJ

• Like 1

This reminds me of something I was talking to a few friends about... I never go over my minutes, and sometimes never use them at all! So on sprints higher billing tiers, what is the benefit? How on earth does sprint plan on convincing people that it is a good deal to opt into their higher priced plans without giving them only additional minutes that they don't need? If they included an amount of tethering or maybe calling to Canada/Mexico at least.

Maybe I'm crazy, but sprint needs something to make it seem worth it to pay more.

In what sense are you paying more? I'm confused. Who are you comparing Sprint's plans to?

In what sense are you paying more? I'm confused. Who are you comparing Sprint's plans to?

I was talking about the pricing tiers that sprint has on their plans for smartphones, including individual and family plans. One of the metrics that investors look to is ARPU (average revenue per user) and of course being a business they need to look at ways to increase their total revenue. One way would be to include more features for the higher tiers, giving the customers something for the increased prices. If they do successfully include extra features that make them more competitive with the duopoly of att/vzw, they will be a force to be reckoned with. (post NV)

I was talking about the pricing tiers that sprint has on their plans for smartphones, including individual and family plans. One of the metrics that investors look to is ARPU (average revenue per user) and of course being a business they need to look at ways to increase their total revenue. One way would be to include more features for the higher tiers, giving the customers something for the increased prices. If they do successfully include extra features that make them more competitive with the duopoly of att/vzw, they will be a force to be reckoned with. (post NV)

Sprint historically has had some of the best market ARPU, but part of the reason they fell by the wayside was the perks that were given away by the ladle full. At the end of the day, Sprint is cheaper than both AT&T and Verizon, so what perks would make that deal sweeter and still make good business sense?

But we've taken this topic off course enough, we can discuss Sprint's perks in another thread :)

You do have "3G" roaming. You mean EV-DO roaming.

AJ

I could honestly see more of this happening. VZW is reducing the prices it charges MVNO's to connect to its 3G network to make it more attractive and still earn money on it as VZW customers migrate to LTE. Perhaps they will charge less for EV-DO roaming to encourage its use.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• Similar Content

• By danlodish345
      Even though Sprint doesn't have the best coverage in my area. I do have lots of memories and nostalgia with the company. I wonder who else here will miss Sprint besides me?
    • By vanko987
      I'm new to this forum, and I've seen people mention cell sites with specific ID's (for example, SF33XC664). Is there any significance to these ID's, and is there a way to decode them? Also, how do I figure out what the cell site ID's are for towers near me?
      Thanks! I'm excited to start talking on this site more 😀
    • By Paynefanbro
      I figured since Verizon's 5G-NR network officially launched it would make sense for there to be a thread for it.
    • By lilotimz
      Samsung Network Vision equipment are highly distinct and fairly easy to spot compared to the equipment that other vendors are deploying. Sprint is Samsung's first extremely massive American contract (baring Clearwire) so there  should be no issues in confusing these equipment for another carrier which happens often with Ericsson NV equipment.

Below are images of Samsung equipment which includes antennas, remote radio units, base stations, and their mounting configurations. 

Samsung antenna with eSMR 800 RRU & PCS 1900 RRU

A close look at a Samsung setup

Next Generation Samsung Configuration
      RRH-P4 4T4R 1.9 GHz  | RRH-C4 4T4R 800 MHz| RRH-V3 2.5 GHz

Next Generation 8 Port Dual Band Antenna Setup 
      4 port 800 MHz RRH-C4 800

(source: dkyeager)

(source: dkyeager)
      Narrow beam setup

High Capacity Site with 2 Antennas & 3 RRUs (2x PCS & 1x SMR).
      Second antenna is PCS only for now.

Canadian IBEZ (NO SMR)

Special Case PCS Only Setup for Canadian IBEZ

Close up of standard antenna connectors 

Samsung Cabinets

Powerpoint slides from Samsung / Sprint
      *disclaimer - all  powerpoint diagrams and images were found through public municipality online databases and is by no means misappropriated through malicious means*
      *Credit goes to those whom took pictures of these equipment. You know who you are*
    • If your on an LTE device that’s correct but on a 5g device it doesn’t really matter both will be on the T-Mobile network.
    • Thanks all. SA 5G is not important to me at this point.  The aspects of a Sprint-SIM phone, including having non-keep sites as a fallback is more important to me at this point. If one gets a new SIM card with a new phone purchase (as mentioned in my original post, such as Best Buy providing on Sprint's behalf or requesting it through the My Sprint app), will it be the Sprint SIM by default? (that is, if you don't request a specific type?)  Do TNX SIM cards need to be specifically requested? (either on an existing phone or an upgrade phone that is requesting a changeover to T-Mobile)  Also, for new Sprint SIMs that are not TNX SIMs, will those need to be changed out to a New T-Mobile SIM once the Sprint network is completely decommissioned and New T-Mobile is in place?
    • I had a tech try to switch me back to TMO SIM yesterday -- well, he actually did switch temporarily...and it wouldn't activate (at my home), so he switched me back to Sprint. I'm in the 3rd week of having a non-working phone unless I'm within range of wifi that is fast enough to have wifi calling connected. I had to call the store and explain to the tech that during the screen replacement that I had 3 weeks ago, it appears that an antenna wire was not connected because wifi works fine, but cellular doesn't hardly work at all..and the way it goes is: WIfi calling connects and works. VOLTE will connect and work. LTE will pass data but no voice calls...Roaming won't connect at all. At home, in range of the Airave (B41), i show on SCP that it's on the Airave...but soon as I place a call, it goes from 4 bars, 3 bars, 2 bars, 1 bar...then 1 bar of R...then the call just drops. Same for places where VOLTE doesn't connect and it's just LTE only...has the same behavior.  It's strange that my wife has the exact same phone..and hers will work fine but mine will do the 4-3-2-1, R, then drop.  I explained to the tech in the closest store...detailed my hours-long convos with various levels of tech and online chat..and told her that i just wanted a working phone...so, over the phone, she was nice enough to just order me a replacement. I told her that I had brought the phone in to have someone take it apart and verify everything was connected..but all they did was "run tests" on it and didn't do anything to the actual internals...which doesn't solve the problem. I was forced to use my Firstnet phone for the past 3 weeks and missed a couple of job interviews because the apps I put in were a day or 2 before I had the phone screen replaced due to stuck pixels. So I'm not sure who's tried to call...but unless it's been on wifi calling...they haven't managed to get me.
    • The only thing you get with a TNX SIM is SA. Sprint-SIM phones still have TMo as the primary, with keep sites filling in just like they do on TNX, but non-keep sites are available as a fallback (high priority roaming, basically). Oh, and you get CDMA (including 1x800) as a fallback rather than H+/GSM until CDMA goes away. The benefit of a Sprint SIM will decrease over time, but for non-5G there's still a benefit. You want TNX basically for SA (if you wind up in areas where n71 can reach but B2/66 can't) and NR CA at some point where you can get n71 and n41. That's...basically it.
    • I've found a couple more recently tagged Sprint keep sites that are really close to existing T-Mobile sites. It'll be interesting to see when these get converted if they get everything or mid-band frequencies only.