Network Vision/LTE - GA/SC Coast market (including Savannah, Charleston and Hilton Head)

irwinshere

Savannah LTE is still hit or miss feast or famine. Garden City is for the most part FAST LTE along Highway 21. GREAT download speeds. Unfortunately, my house is in a 3g zone between 2 LTEs. Lots of trees, maybe it will get better this Winter like it was at the first of the year.

But, I must say that 3g speeds are much improved over a year ago. Possibly from the load going to LTE.

Overall the network upgrades have been great compared to a year ago.

Savannah LTE is still hit or miss feast or famine. Garden City is for the most part FAST LTE along Highway 21. GREAT download speeds. Unfortunately, my house is in a 3g zone between 2 LTEs. Lots of trees, maybe it will get better this Winter like it was at the first of the year.

But, I must say that 3g speeds are much improved over a year ago. Possibly from the load going to LTE.

Overall the network upgrades have been great compared to a year ago.

Strange coincidence, but LTE just kicked in at my house. Thank you Sprint.
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Anyone getting b26 or b41 in beaufort yet?

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

Drove around Beaufort today... down Boundary Street and Ribaut Road. All I was getting was b25. On Lady's Island, though, I was getting some pretty strong b26 signal. I doubt Sprint is rolling out b41 here anytime soon, given their new Spark strategy. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Edited by joecoolaug
  • Like 1

Drove around Beaufort today... down Boundary Street and Ribaut Road. All I was getting was b25. On Lady's Island, though, I was getting some pretty strong b26 signal. I doubt Sprint is rolling out b41 here anytime soon, given their new Spark strategy. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Thanks for the upate. You practically went by my future home. Well it is just an empty lot now but I hope to build this fall. I got wimax on my lot down there a couple years ago.

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Could hardly get a signal at Hilton head beach, at least where my wife dropped me off. Note, I have a fractured ankle right now and am not very mobile. Will check some more areas the next time we run down there.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well I should have upgraded phones a little sooner. I have been using a Samsung Galaxy S3 for 2 years with mixed results on LTE in Savannah. I just bought a Sprint LG G2 and activated it on Boost Mobile.

I am getting LTE almost everywhere almost all the time including my house.

Great job Sprint! This network rocks in Savannah.

Apparently there is a big difference in the radios between the two phones.

Is Triband the same as Spark? I didn't think Savannah had either one.

Well I should have upgraded phones a little sooner. I have been using a Samsung Galaxy S3 for 2 years with mixed results on LTE in Savannah. I just bought a Sprint LG G2 and activated it on Boost Mobile.

I am getting LTE almost everywhere almost all the time including my house.

Great job Sprint! This network rocks in Savannah.

Apparently there is a big difference in the radios between the two phones.

Is Triband the same as Spark? I didn't think Savannah had either one.

Yes, Triband devices=Spark Support.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

6beaf7e861dbe0a515cd379de65095d7.jpg ec00cb3d506e7b128f320ac8bb93c874.jpg This is the view from the front door of the condo I'm staying at which totally gets my nerd side going because I have fantastic service in the condo. But there are a couple of things that confuse me... 1. What's the slim antenna to the right for? 2. Why is this single antenna pointed in the direction of the coast? I don't see any others on the rooftop. I've been around this island and service isn't through the roof, it's littered with dead zones and 3G only spots. For example on the beach directly infront of this antenna I have 2-3 bars of 800 and drop to 3G after a short walk in either direction.

I'm just glad that my curiosity as to where the "tower" was has finally been fulfilled and it's also great staying with people on VZW and AT&T who have "No Service" here and I have full bars in the room and can avoid the painfully slow wifi speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

Well, I just got back from Hilton Head/Blufton and unfortunately service in the area is as bad as ever. On 278 I get good service, but not great.. but more than a mile or two off of the main highway and service is downright unreliable. My phone barely works at all on the beach in Hilton Head (near Coligny) and it's just sad. 

• Like 1

I hear you Brother. My circumstances changed where I currently have good LTE in Savannah but I now rely on Comcast Wi-Fi at home and barely use my phone data plan. A long commute was my main reason for needing fast LTE. Not an issue anymore but still sad that Sprint has taken so long. .It has improved overall but I really don't think that is a good excuse (since 2013). Right now I am content.

Edited by wyelkins

• 2 months later...

Just coming back from a few days at Hilton Head Island. Band 25 only. Pretty good signal and speeds throughout Seapines and its beaches and on main roads. Gets a lot spottier towards the north end of the island. Horrible while at Hilton Head Beach & tennis resort. Did some sensorly mapping while on seapines to update maps.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Spent the weekend in Savannah and spotted some band 41 coverage downtown along Bay Street. However, dropped to 3G around the Savannah Mall & Armstrong - that whole area seems like a coverage black hole for some reason, even though everywhere else I really didn't have any complaints.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Seems that Sprint is doing its best in the Savannah market to improve as there are still many spots outside of downtown that drop to 3G. Mobilitie is currently working to try to get approval to install Small Cells around the market for Sprint but is currently in a heated battle with the Savannah Planning commission who continues to deny Mobilitie of there Small Cell plans for Sprint. Mobilitie is currently appealing the most recent decision but if this ever gets passed it would help those black holes significantly.

http://www.thempc.org/eagenda/x/mpc/2018/january-30-2018-regular-mpc-meeting/124_1677.pdf

• Like 3

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Took a trip from Beaufort to Summerville on Christmas day. Sprint had coverage almost the entire way which was a pleasant surprise. My mum's iPhone XR was without service for a grand total of about 3 seconds. The less than pleasant surprise was how bad T-Mobile's coverage was. My T-Mobile line spent about a third of the trip without service. Luckily I had my Verizon line to pick up the slack.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 1/1/2020 at 6:14 PM, Brad The Beast said:

Took a trip from Beaufort to Summerville on Christmas day. Sprint had coverage almost the entire way which was a pleasant surprise. My mum's iPhone XR was without service for a grand total of about 3 seconds. The less than pleasant surprise was how bad T-Mobile's coverage was. My T-Mobile line spent about a third of the trip without service. Luckily I had my Verizon line to pick up the slack.

Just curious if you have noticed any difference in the Beaufort area since the merger.

I have the S20 FE 5G.  SA is not turned on for the Fan edition yet.  SCP shows a 5G signal but I do not connect to it.

On 1/1/2020 at 6:14 PM, Brad The Beast said:

Just curious if you have noticed any difference in the Beaufort area since the merger.

I have the S20 FE 5G.  SA is not turned on for the Fan edition yet.  SCP shows a 5G signal but I do not connect to it.

Screenshot_20201119-105024_SignalCheck Pro.jpg