Anyone know what's going on with the tower located near the m6 and 96 intersection? It has been broadcasting 4g for some time now, but the past couple days a crane had been up there and I have 0 sprint service.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

Anyone know what's going on with the tower located near the m6 and 96 intersection? It has been broadcasting 4g for some time now, but the past couple days a crane had been up there and I have 0 sprint service.

I'm hoping for some TD-LTE going up or maybe there was a problem trying to bring the SMR spectrum online.

I think there is a new tower somewhere in Lansing screaming out LTE.  I typically get -99 to -105 dBm for LTE and today am getting -91 to -95 dBm.  Need to snoop the next round of acceptance reports.

They tend to be at low power when first turned on.  The one closest to my house was steadily ramped up over two weeks.

Sorry to be digging up a rather dated post, but just wanted to clarify that this is not the case. When a site is switched on, it's switched on. There may be adjustments to downtilt, but they are not started on low power or anything like that.

• Like 1

I get a TINY amount of LTE signal around the Mason area (where I live) but it's extremely spotty and doesn't travel much beyond the Kipp Road exit. Hopefully Sprint is going to ramp up the signal soon.. ;D does anyone have any info about the 4G status of the Mason/Dansville/Jackson area?

I get a TINY amount of LTE signal around the Mason area (where I live) but it's extremely spotty and doesn't travel much beyond the Kipp Road exit. Hopefully Sprint is going to ramp up the signal soon.. ;D does anyone have any info about the 4G status of the Mason/Dansville/Jackson area?

Become a member and check out the sites complete map, along with the maps of all the Sprint towers nationwide.  The schedules that are posted in the Premier sponsor section are terribly out of date because the data is no longer provided, but regular sponsors get almost daily site acceptance reports

Sorry to be digging up a rather dated post, but just wanted to clarify that this is not the case. When a site is switched on, it's switched on. There may be adjustments to downtilt, but they are not started on low power or anything like that.

This isn't true everywhere, is it?

*Every* 4G accepted tower I've seen so far, has been switched on at low power. (Where "low power" means at least -10db lower than the equivalent EVDO service from that same site, according to Signal Check Pro)

This isn't true everywhere, is it?

*Every* 4G accepted tower I've seen so far, has been switched on at low power. (Where "low power" means at least -10db lower than the equivalent EVDO service from that same site, according to Signal Check Pro)

The difference in signal is because it is measured differently. LTE is RSRP while EVDO and 1x are RSSI.

• Like 1

The difference in signal is because it is measured differently. LTE is RSRP while EVDO and 1x are RSSI.

I should be more specific, as that's not what I'm referring to.

I know about the difference between RSRP and RSSI, but Signal Check factors that out automatically. (You'll see this if you open the app, even though LTE RSRP might be -10dbm lower than 1x/3G RSSI, the 'signal graph' will be higher, since there's a difference of 15 (+/-5) between them, based on http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-308-rssi-vs-rsrp-a-brief-lte-signal-strength-primer/

I should be more specific, as that's not what I'm referring to.

I know about the difference between RSRP and RSSI, but Signal Check factors that out automatically. (You'll see this if you open the app, even though LTE RSRP might be -10dbm lower than 1x/3G RSSI, the 'signal graph' will be higher, since there's a difference of 15 (+/-5) between them, based on http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-308-rssi-vs-rsrp-a-brief-lte-signal-strength-primer/

I don't really use the graphs, the numbers are more important.

In any case, towers do not get turned on at low power - with the exception of the IBEZ 800 1x towers going live around Cleveland. Everything else, according to everything we know, get's turned on - completely on - when it's signed off. Downtilt may get adjusted down the line, but otherwise everything is operational once it's turned on. 

• Like 1

Holy crap, they got a ton of work done on Saturday.  For as long as it took them to run the cables on Friday (which is all that was done, I thought one antenna was up), I expected one sector to be completed.  This is the most interesting NV site I've ever seen.  It is a high capacity site in the middle of downtown Lansing with the standard three sectors, but each sector has two full size Samsung NV antennas.  When ever I've seen high capacity sites, they've been a full sized antenna and a much skinnier legacy looking antenna.  I'm hoping with all the Fiber that is available in downtown Lansing, it won't be long before this sucker is lit up like a Christmas tree

9591377535_367bd09dde_c.jpg
IMG_6722 by jefbal99_, on Flickr

9594171886_84a8db3558_c.jpg
IMG_6720 by jefbal99_, on Flickr

9594172592_a89f278d24_c.jpg
IMG_6716 by jefbal99_, on Flickr
  • Like 2

Holy crap, they got a ton of work done on Saturday.  For as long as it took them to run the cables on Friday (which is all that was done, I thought one antenna was up), I expected one sector to be completed.  This is the most interesting NV site I've ever seen.  It is a high capacity site in the middle of downtown Lansing with the standard three sectors, but each sector has two full size Samsung NV antennas.  When ever I've seen high capacity sites, they've been a full sized antenna and a much skinnier legacy looking antenna.  I'm hoping with all the Fiber that is available in downtown Lansing, it won't be long before this sucker is lit up like a Christmas tree

IMG_6722 by jefbal99_, on Flickr

IMG_6720 by jefbal99_, on Flickr

IMG_6716 by jefbal99_, on Flickr

It's different because it's likely a TD-LTE setup. 

It's different because it's likely a TD-LTE setup. 

That would be very cool, but each antenna has the standard six cables on it for PCS and SMR.  I figured the BRS/EBS antennas only to have a single set of cables to the RRUs on them.

That would be very cool, but each antenna has the standard six cables on it for PCS and SMR.  I figured the BRS/EBS antennas only to have a single set of cables to the RRUs on them.

There's 4 RF ports and 4 cable connected to each of the 4 RF ports on the antenna. The two ports with the metal brackets in the back are the ACU's that control downtilt. Plus Lansing is way out of range of the Canadian IBEZ so you wouldn't get PCS only antennas either way. 

There's 4 RF ports and 4 cable connected to each of the 4 RF ports on the antenna. The two ports with the metal brackets in the back are the ACU's that control downtilt. Plus Lansing is way out of range of the Canadian IBEZ so you wouldn't get PCS only antennas either way.

Well then, it will be interesting to keep my hotspot with me looking for TD-LTE

I wish I could get on the roof of the building below that smokestack to see if I could get any better pictures of the bottom of the antennas.  Maybe I'll venture out this week and see what climbing is available.

• Like 1

So my GN2 kind of freaked out leaving the office today. Normally I reconnect to LTE quickly downtown, but it was just hanging with no data connection. I was dropping back to EvDo or 1x. Using signal check pro I started doing the rest rest connection and I somehow got connected to 1x800 for about 20 second.

Once I left Lansing, my phone returned to normal. Not sure if they were testing out that new install at the lugnut or something else.

So my GN2 kind of freaked out leaving the office today. Normally I reconnect to LTE quickly downtown, but it was just hanging with no data connection. I was dropping back to EvDo or 1x. Using signal check pro I started doing the rest rest connection and I somehow got connected to 1x800 for about 20 second.

Once I left Lansing, my phone returned to normal. Not sure if they were testing out that new install at the lugnut or something else.

My phone started picking up "phantom" LTE in Fenton after the site came back online after the fiber install. Today my phone would briefly connect to eHRPD then seconds later kicked down to and parked on EvDo. Did this every time I reset the data connection.

Similar situation?

• Like 1

Well I began to do some tower hunting in the Higgins Lake, Houghton Lake and Grayling areas this morning and the trip was cut short when all the sites on my list were on today's acceptance report.

Hey, it seems like you guys are the local Sprint experts. I recently moved to SW Michigan in-between Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Battle Creek and Lansing. We currently have Verizon  but we are looking to switch to sprint. I'm wondering how much the Sprint Vision upgrade will improve coverage. It looks like Sprint is working on network upgrades in my area, there is LTE service within a mile of my house (we're rural) so I assume towers on our north east near Lansing have been upgraded and towers on our South West have yet to be upgraded. We don't know anyone with Sprint so current actual coverage is a guess. Thanks for any information you have.

So with the maps... if the site is not "in progress" are they not going to upgrade or not upgrading at this time? Is sprint going to add 800 to all their sites?

I guess I'm confused by the maps, can anyone give a better description of the sponsor maps and what Sprint is doing, or is a more detailed description already posted somewhere?