What would be really nice is some sort of mapping tool through the SprintZone app, detailing exactly which Sprint LTE bands are available as well as an average signal strength within a given area.

Also a list of things you may or may not be able to do with your device, such as apps that are/aren't supported. So people know what they're able to do, in terms of data reliability.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

There's one nice aspect of this that I like. The spark map is now somewhat useful in that most of the areas of the city that have no working data are presently labeled "Spark: Fair".

So, if you interpret the Spark areas of the map by reading :

- "Spark: Good = Some sort of working data. Might be anything between EVDO/B25/B26/B41" and

- "Spark: Fair = Effectively no usable data coverage. Mostly 1x, some unusable B26/EVDO",

then the coverage map as it is today is now (very roughly) accurate.

The T-Mo version would be fine as long as you don't enter a building.

I'll show myself out the door. [emoji87]

Seriously, the "satisfactory coverage in some homes" is a crapshoot. "Connectivity in most homes" is OK. "Connectivity in most big buildings and homes" is usually really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Seriously, the "satisfactory coverage in some homes" is a crapshoot. "Connectivity in most homes" is OK. "Connectivity in most big buildings and homes" is usually really good.

Yeah, their old map was much better.

From 4 being "darkest", and 1 being "lightest",

- 4&3 meant "works everywhere, basically flawlessly".

- 2 meant "works ok, but only outdoors. (Indoors was EDGE only, or no service)".

- And 1 meant "no service of any kind, no roaming"

Now that it's flattened, it's way harder to read. But they seem to use the same scale, it's just hidden in those text descriptions :

4 = "Connectivity in most big buildings" = works literally everywhere, basically flawlessly.

3 = "Connectivity in most homes" = works well almost everywhere. A few tricky buildings/spots may issues

2 = "Satisfactory in some homes" =  EDGE only or no service indoors. Outside is usable, but very weak

1 = "Limited indoor connectivity" = complete lies. No native service of any kind, and all roaming blocked

HA, Easttown is listed as 'fair' for Spark. I can't even get LTE in Easttown.

Fair should be ignored.  Only where good is shown is accurate.  That's pretty much true of all carriers when it comes to LTE.

• Like 5

Everyone is going to have a different experience with Sprint's coverage map, its a hit or miss.  My neighborhood shows "fair" LTE coverage outside yet I have a average signal strength around the -96dBm mark indoors and outside around -89dBm.  

HA, Easttown is listed as 'fair' for Spark. I can't even get LTE in Easttown.

Yep.

It's frustrating, since Sprint owns leases on two different cell sites directly in Easttown, that they haven't used.

- One is a Clear WiMax tower, on the southeast side of Aquinas College / Wilcox Park. (Aquinas Dept of Safety Bldg)

- One is an ex-Nextel site, on the rooftop of the Kingsley Building, literally in the center of Easttown. T-Mobile is co-located on that, with Zayo Fiber backhaul.

Instead of using those sites, Sprint's currently shooting service in all the way from either East Grand Rapids or Michigan St and Plymouth. Which is just way too far away for a dense neighborhood like that, regardless of the spectrum used. (AT&T does this too, with similarly bad results)

Yep.

It's frustrating, since Sprint owns leases on two different cell sites directly in Easttown, that they haven't used.

- One is a Clear WiMax tower, on the southeast side of Aquinas College / Wilcox Park. (Aquinas Dept of Safety Bldg)

- One is an ex-Nextel site, on the rooftop of the Kingsley Building, literally in the center of Easttown. T-Mobile is co-located on that, with Zayo Fiber backhaul.

Instead of using those sites, Sprint's currently shooting service in all the way from either East Grand Rapids or Michigan St and Plymouth. Which is just way too far away for a dense neighborhood like that, regardless of the spectrum used. (AT&T does this too, with similarly bad results)

my fiance doesn't get T-Mobile service in easttown either, but you say there's a T-Mobile tower there? are they actually using it?

my fiance doesn't get T-Mobile service in easttown either, but you say there's a T-Mobile tower there? are they actually using it?

Yes, T-Mobile has very strong service in the center of Easttown (I'm fairly certain their site is on the Kingsley -- the old tall white stone building, next to Sheldon Cleaners and Kava House).

I've always gotten full AWS LTE on multiple devices throughout all of the business district there (including inside Harmony Brewing, inside Bombay Cuisine, Argos Bookshop, etc). Service in Easttown has been that strong for years due to the site location, even pre-LTE the HSPA+21 was pretty strong and fast.

Now, that particular Easttown T-Mobile site is turned down very low (presumably for density / faster speed purposes?). So even though service in Easttown proper is really strong and fast, it tends to drop out pretty quick as you leave the area.  If you walk down Wealthy street, indoors at Electric Cheetah / Brick Road Pizza / Sparrows Coffee TMO tends to be very weak or no service situations, despite being only one mile away from the Easttown cell site.

Yes, T-Mobile has very strong service in the center of Easttown (I'm fairly certain their site is on the Kingsley -- the old tall white stone building, next to Sheldon Cleaners and Kava House).

I've always gotten full AWS LTE on multiple devices throughout all of the business district there (including inside Harmony Brewing, inside Bombay Cuisine, Argos Bookshop, etc). Service in Easttown has been that strong for years due to the site location, even pre-LTE the HSPA+21 was pretty strong and fast.

Now, that particular Easttown T-Mobile site is turned down very low (presumably for density / faster speed purposes?). So even though service in Easttown proper is really strong and fast, it tends to drop out pretty quick as you leave the area.  If you walk down Wealthy street, indoors at Electric Cheetah / Brick Road Pizza / Sparrows Coffee TMO tends to be very weak or no service situations, despite being only one mile away from the Easttown cell site.

I can't get LTE in Erb Thai on Sprint, T-Mobile, or AT&T, it's madness.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just started picking up band class 10 800mhz on Wednesday south of Battle Creek near Union City on tower - - - - - - - - - . I have picked up band class 10 on other sites around my area, but I"m not sure which tower its from. I have been getting much better voice coverage, but now I hardly connect to LTE. Hopefully that means they will start to turn on band 26 LTE soon.

Edited by lilotimz
Sponsor info

• 2 weeks later...

More 800Mhz service from the I96/Grange Rd site.  Hoping the 3rd time is the charm with a SIM for my Moto X Pure to see if they've turned on any extra B25/B41 LTE carriers, maybe B26 LTE, maybe B41 CA?

So nice to be back on a phone that SCP works on.  Lugnut in downtown Lansing is broadcasting multiple B41 carriers.  Haven't seen any CA yet.

Quoting myself is weird...

Seeing multiple B41 carriers from most sites I've hit today around Lansing.

1x 800 in Lansing

Probably.  But you are using a single RF path handset.  SignalCheck Pro and Android are confused in your screenshot.  Put the handset in CDMA only mode to confirm.

AJ

Probably. But you are using a single RF path handset. SignalCheck Pro and Android are confused in your screenshot. Put the handset in CDMA only mode to confirm.

AJ

That was how I got it, turned off mobile data

Just for AJ

1c904444be3d2265b17a881e7168171c.jpg

Sent from Moto X Pure via Tapatalk

• Like 2