FCC rejects requests to delay Softbank/Sprint deal review

marioc21

Holy crap! Thanks. I've tried researching all this but every source isn't clear or leave bits out. Huge help AJ!

My pleasure. If you ask who holds what spectrum where, I almost cannot resist the urge to answer from memory, check my charts, or research the info. I like to think of myself as the go to guy for licensed spectrum holdings. But that is inflating my ego a bit much.

AJ

• Like 5

So ideally sprint would want to try to get more in the 800s for when they deploy LTE in that ares. Assuming I kind of have an understanding. Since sprint only has. 14 in the 800s they can only deploy LTE in the 5x5 configuration. And vzn and att are at an advantage with 20 in the 850 each with some usable 700 spectrum. I think I've read that vzn wants to sell some of the 700 cause they can't use it or expensive deployment.

Unfortunately there is very little SMR left for Sprint to acquire. The problem with eSMR band is that it is interleaved with public safety bands, PTT, etc. so there is not much free contiguous spectrum to go around.

I believe AJ did a breakdown of the SMR band, and found it to be gappy.

If memory serves me correctly, Nextel purchased SMR licenses in random bits and pieces all across the country, and got dinged when they had to reband to fix the conflicts.

So ideally sprint would want to try to get more in the 800s for when they deploy LTE in that ares. Assuming I kind of have an understanding. Since sprint only has. 14 in the 800s they can only deploy LTE in the 5x5 configuration. And vzn and att are at an advantage with 20 in the 850 each with some usable 700 spectrum. I think I've read that vzn wants to sell some of the 700 cause they can't use it or expensive deployment.

They might bid on 600 spectrum (they should). I believe if the FCC follows T-Mobile's proposal we will see 70mhz of paired spectrum in large market 5x5 blocks up for auction which will all belong to the same LTE band class (seems cool to me).

If its auctioned in that way I suspect, AT&T and Verizon will each grab 20mhz nationwide, T-Mobile and Sprint will grab 10 MHz nationwide leaving another 10mhz leftover for regional carriers to grab.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

They might bid on 600 spectrum (they should). I believe if the FCC follows T-Mobile's proposal we will see 70mhz of paired spectrum in large market 5x5 blocks up for auction which will all belong to the same LTE band class (seems cool to me).

If its auctioned in that way I suspect, AT&T and Verizon will each grab 20mhz nationwide, T-Mobile and Sprint will grab 10 MHz nationwide leaving another 10mhz leftover for regional carriers to grab.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I would hope that at&t and Verizon are barred from a 600Mhz auction, with the plethora of 700Mhz and 850Mhz spectrum they already hold.

• Like 2

I believe if the FCC follows T-Mobile's proposal we will see 70mhz of paired spectrum in large market 5x5 blocks up for auction which will all belong to the same LTE band class (seems cool to me).

Though I could be dead wrong, the T-Mobile proposal is a pipe dream. TV/DT broadcasters are not going to give up that many channels -- at least, not in urban areas where bandwidth actually matters. Any 600 MHz spectrum is going to be, at best, more limited than the T-Mobile band plan and geographically varied.

AJ

Me or "towers"?

;)

AJ

Bet you didn't know that Cruise ships had cellphone towers on them! Very interesting! I knew that had a type of DAS on them but towers? That's down right cool! I wonder if they have the RRUs up yet?

http://www.wafb.com/story/21193958/after-days-stranded-at-sea-now-comes-the-bus-ride

"Communication with passengers on the Triumph has been limited to brief windows when other cruise ships with working cellular towers have rendezvoused to deliver supplies, but some relatives have reported being told of uncomfortable and unsanitary conditions."

My pleasure. If you ask who holds what spectrum where, I almost cannot resist the urge to answer from memory, check my charts, or research the info. I like to think of myself as the go to guy for licensed spectrum holdings. But that is inflating my ego a bit much.

AJ

Any chance of a future article with said information? :fingers:

Any chance of a future article with said information? :fingers:

Article or doctoral dissertation? I kid, I kid. And I appreciate the interest.

I have produced several dozen documents/spreadsheets that rundown particular carriers' spectrum holdings on market by market bases. But I have never done so for all domestic carriers in all markets. Such would be a Herculean task that would require massive data mining and human review.

I wish that I could focus my energies on geographic and/or engineering based wireless issues full time. (Anyone reading, I am available.) But the fact is that I can do so only in my spare time. Teaching/tutoring pays the bills and buys things like spectrum analyzers. Then, I do what I can to satisfy my own curiosities and, hopefully, a few of yours, too.

Now, if you have a specific request -- one that I can answer or research in a few minutes to a few hours -- I am all ears. Fire away, and I will do what I can do.

AJ

• Like 7

I have produced several dozen documents/spreadsheets that rundown particular carriers' spectrum holdings on market by market bases. But I have never done so for all domestic carriers in all markets. Such would be a Herculean task that would require massive data mining and human review.

I wish that I could focus my energies on geographic and/or engineering based wireless issues full time. (Anyone reading, I am available.) But the fact is that I can do so only in my spare time. Teaching/tutoring pays the bills and buys things like spectrum analyzers. Then, I do what I can to satisfy my own curiosities and, hopefully, a few of yours, too.

Now, if you have a specific request -- one that I can answer or research in a few minutes to a few hours -- I am all ears. Fire away, and I will do what I can do.

AJ

Hmm... It'd be interesting to get a breakdown of the Northern Cali / Southern Cali markets. Maybe start in the central valleys [cough sacramento cough] since we have nothing much going on for now lol. But I do like to see who holds what up in the major California markets since they're closer to me. ATT and VZ's still going full steam in my area and t-mobile is making inroads with their spectrum repurposing (also new equipment while they're at it). Not to mention we also have sprint's legacy, clearwire, and metro pcs around here.

AJ

Have you done anything that possibly just has Sprint/Clearwire holdings? I would also be interested in the Norfolk/eastern NC/Outerbanks holdings by the carriers. That said don't spend hours on my account.

How about this? I will do Sacramento and Norfolk tomorrow morning. I have some data already but will need to double check a few licenses. No matter, each metro should take no more than half an hour, so that is very doable.

AJ

• Like 2

How about this? I will do Sacramento and Norfolk tomorrow morning. I have some data already but will need to double check a few licenses. No matter, each metro should take no more than half an hour, so that is very doable.

AJ

Metro or Market? I am an hour away from Norfolk in the outer banks (Elizabeth City, NC)

AJ

I'm most interested in your SMR + Cellular proposal article!

Metro or Market? I am an hour away from Norfolk in the outer banks (Elizabeth City, NC)

The bulk of the data that I have in my records is for the top 100 markets. Both Sacramento and Norfolk are top 100. That said, with a little bit of additional research, I can do any market. So, we can switch Norfolk with Elizabeth City (Pasquotank County), no problem.

AJ

I'm most interested in your SMR + Cellular proposal article!

Keep reminding me. I still have more spectrum analysis data to gather, then an article to write. I am eager to do it. I just need to find the time.

AJ

• Like 7

Also, I would be very interested in an article summarizing Clearwire's spectrum. We always have to hear about 160MHz nationwide blah blah for Clearwire. And we've addressed it in the forums, but not on the wall to my knowledge.

I think something that

-Summarizes Clearwire BRS/EBS nationwide and points out places where Clearwire is lacking in BRS.

-puts an appropriate value on contiguous BRS vs. non contiguous BRS and leased EBS.

-talks TD-LTE speeds and capacity

-summarizes with a suggestion for how the FCC and Sprint should clear up any spectrum controversy.

I would definitely love to contribute to an article like this as I think it would add to the wealth knowledge S4GRU contains.

• Like 1

The bulk of the data that I have in my records is for the top 100 markets. Both Sacramento and Norfolk are top 100. That said, with a little bit of additional research, I can do any market. So, we can switch Norfolk with Elizabeth City (Pasquotank County), no problem.

AJ

would they be separate though? both are in the same BTA which is why I was referring to the Norfolk market. I was under the impression that BTA's were the smallest that spectrum was divided into?

EDIT* AHH ok MSA were used for 850 so would prefer Pasquotank county. For Sprint holdings they would be in the BTA though correct? as they don't have any 850.

AJ

I am actually interested in any info you have on who holds what spectrum in the Portland/SW Washington area, just out of pure curiosity. It's something I have wondered about for a while.

Okay, as promised, here is Sacramento's Big 4 spectrum rundown...

VZW:

• Cellular 850 MHz: 25 MHz
  • PCS 1900 MHz: 10 MHz
  • AWS 2100+1700 MHz: 30 MHz
  • Upper 700 MHz: 22 MHz
  • Lower 700 MHz: 12 MHz

AT&T:

• PCS 1900 MHz: 45 MHz
  • Lower 700 MHz: 30 MHz
  • WCS 2300 MHz: 30 MHz

Sprint:

• PCS 1900 MHz: 30 MHz
  • SMR 800 MHz: 14 MHz
  • BRS 2600 MHz: 55.5 MHz

T-Mobile:

• PCS 1900 MHz: 25 MHz
  • AWS 2100+1700 MHz: 40 MHz

Now, most/all of the same caveats that I listed at the end of the Los Angeles rundown apply.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3218-fcc-rejects-requests-to-delay-softbanksprint-deal-review/page__view__findpost__p__104946

AJ

• Like 1

would they be separate though? both are in the same BTA which is why I was referring to the Norfolk market. I was under the impression that BTA's were the smallest that spectrum was divided into?

EDIT* AHH ok MSA were used for 850 so would prefer Pasquotank county. For Sprint holdings they would be in the BTA though correct? as they don't have any 850.

In increasing order of area, wireless licenses generally follow this pattern: CMA (which is based on MSA), BTA, BEA, MTA, REA.

All full (non partitioned) Sprint licenses are MTA (PCS 1900 MHz A-B block, SMR 900 MHz), BTA (PCS 1900 MHz C-F block, BRS 2600 MHz), or BEA (SMR 800 MHz, PCS 1900 MHz G block).

AJ

• Like 1

Now, for Elizabeth City, NC's Big 4 + USCC spectrum rundown...

VZW:

• PCS 1900 MHz: 20 MHz
  • AWS 2100+1700 MHz: 40 MHz
  • Upper 700 MHz: 22 MHz

AT&T:

• PCS 1900 MHz: 40 MHz
  • Lower 700 MHz: 18 MHz
  • WCS 2300 MHz: 30 MHz

Sprint:

• PCS 1900 MHz: 30 MHz
  • SMR 800 MHz: 14 MHz
  • BRS 2600 MHz: 55.5 MHz

T-Mobile:

• PCS 1900 MHz: 20 MHz
  • AWS 2100+1700 MHz: 20 MHz

USCC:

• AWS 2100+1700 MHz: 20 MHz
  • Lower 700 MHz: 12 MHz

And, again, many of the usual limitations (currently unusable spectrum, pending transactions) apply.

AJ

• Like 1