Iphone 5S and Iphone 6 for 2013

HappyHappy

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."

CDMA1X will still be alive and kicking five years from now. You can come back then and eat crow.

AJ

Oh there will be some channels hanging around for sure... look how long it took to turn off the last AMPS channels! But if you think the majority of Sprint's voice traffic will still be CDMA 1X in five years, I'll take that bet :)

I know the arguments you raise and I heard all the same ones about VoIP from our PBX guys and the telco guys circa 2003, especially around reliability, dropped calls, traffic management, etc. Anyone still want to bet against VoIP here in 2013? Didn't think so ;)

The biggest hurdle with VoLTE is coverage, due to the fragility of the LTE airlink. Especially on a PCS network. If Sprint changed to VoLTE on its network tomorrow and could convert it all instantly and scrap CDMA, they would lose 40% of their voice coverage immediately. And you think indoor voice coverage is bad now?

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Once LTE Advanced with CoMP is available everywhere (2015 and afterward), I think it's feasible to, at the least, switch smartphone customers over to VoLTE with HD Voice. I don't think that CDMA will be sunset until at least 2020.

By the way, where'd HD Voice on 1X go? The Evo was supposed to have that but nothing launched. T-Mobile at least has HD Voice going over AMR Wideband running on conventional UMTS channels.

I see them possibly prioritizing voice on the SMR LTE, but so far I have found the voice usability doesn't differ materially from LTE (in areas where all the towers are upgraded). Yes, 1 bar of LTE only gets you 1-3 Mbps but it also makes calls much more likely to drop. Considering you only need 8-16k/sec to maintain a voice link that seems very do-able.

If we assume a minimum of 1Mbit/sec minimum at the edges and 8k/sec voice then that's 128 voice calls at the edge of coverage. Correct me if I'm wrong but CDMA 1X has 128 forward channels, no?

CDMA 1X also adaptively uses the bandwidth, allowing faster transmit to nodes with better reception... Just like the LTE standard does, thereby maximizing overall use of the network. LTE also supports soft handoff, yes? Again, just like CDMA.

Obviously VoLTE can't happen until NV gives us 100% LTE coverage, but I don't see how it would degrade the voice experience (especially with 800 SMR range) and it gives you one major benefit: making the high-ARPU iPhone users happy (simultaneous voice/data and HD voice). I don't care if the rest of their phones stay CDMA.

We had that debate about making those users happy, with the outcome of Sprint signing a multi-billion deal with Apple to get the iPhone and the making multiple 10-K statements that not having it was losing them customer and money.

So... Tell me again why Sprint shouldn't fast-track to support VoLTE?

Any hope of apple ever destroying android went away when Steve Jobs passed away. Anyway, what apple needs to do is release the rumored iphone 10.

post-221-0-68732900-1360359825_thumb.jpg

LOL. That's revolutionary Iphone 10. Hhahah.

I think Apple has to release something to keep up with Samsung's effort, and in order to compete and be profitable.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/18/tech/gaming-gadgets/samsung-apple-innovation/index.html?hpt=te_t1

Insane, Samsung Galaxy S4 is rumored to show on March 14th. Apple has to do something....

http://news.cnet.com...-sail-march-14/

Apple will be fine for the foreseeable future. They have a very dedicated customer base and they probably make more on each device sold than anybody else, mostly because they limit how many different devices they sell. They clearly do not have a need to be the sales leader. If I was Apple I would try to stem the inroads that Google is making into educational facilities. I would also start to bundle my products. Maybe a special sale price on a laptop and desktop combo. The beauty of Apple is its ecosystem and once you get a consumer to fork over the money they are more likely to buy other Apple products.

Apple will be fine for the foreseeable future. They have a very dedicated customer base and they probably make more on each device sold than anybody else' date=' mostly because they limit how many different devices they sell. They clearly do not have a need to be the sales leader. If I was Apple I would try to stem the inroads that Google is making into educational facilities. I would also start to bundle my products. Maybe a special sale price on a laptop and desktop combo. The beauty of Apple is its ecosystem and once you get a consumer to fork over the money they are more likely to buy other Apple products.[/quote']

I have an irresistible urge to go buy an iPod Touch right now, lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

Apple will be fine for the foreseeable future. They have a very dedicated customer base and they probably make more on each device sold than anybody else, mostly because they limit how many different devices they sell. They clearly do not have a need to be the sales leader. If I was Apple I would try to stem the inroads that Google is making into educational facilities. I would also start to bundle my products. Maybe a special sale price on a laptop and desktop combo. The beauty of Apple is its ecosystem and once you get a consumer to fork over the money they are more likely to buy other Apple products.

LOL. Soundas anything but an AD. LOL

I can relate. I started out with an ipad2. Which I won from work. Then my android phone died right when the 4S came out. So I picked up a 32 gig Black one. Then I got Apple TV. No cable here. Then an AirPort Extreme route. And finally three weeks ago a 13" MacBook Pro. (No Retina Display tho). So ya I'm in the ecosystem lol.

I can relate. I started out with an ipad2. Which I won from work. Then my android phone died right when the 4S came out. So I picked up a 32 gig Black one. Then I got Apple TV. No cable here. Then an AirPort Extreme route. And finally three weeks ago a 13" MacBook Pro. (No Retina Display tho). So ya I'm in the ecosystem lol.

I had 2 iPod Classics, 3 iPod Touch's, an iPhone 3Gs, an iPhone 4, 2 MacBooks, a MacBook Pro, an original Clamshell iBook in Blueberry, a Power Mac G3 minitower, and a Quadra 840AV.

I still have the iBook, the MacBook Pro, the iPhone 3Gs, the Power Mac G3, the Quadra 840AV, and an iPod nano 3rd Gen 4GB Silver (a friend gave it to me recently). I'm addicted to Apple products for life, lol.

Just my personal observation. BTW, I don't own any Apple products and likely I never will.

I see.

I had 2 iPod Classics, 3 iPod Touch's, an iPhone 3Gs, an iPhone 4, 2 MacBooks, a MacBook Pro, an original Clamshell iBook in Blueberry, a Power Mac G3 minitower, and a Quadra 840AV.

I still have the iBook, the MacBook Pro, the iPhone 3Gs, the Power Mac G3, the Quadra 840AV, and an iPod nano 3rd Gen 4GB Silver (a friend gave it to me recently). I'm addicted to Apple products for life, lol.

Reminds me of my old self, everything Apple. But things have changed.

You have moved on to "the next big thing"?

:P

AJ

After all the problems I've had with Android phones in the last year, my next phone will most likely be an iPhone, and I will keep an Android phone as a fall back device in case I break the iPhone. (Plus until Sensorly mapping comes to the iPhone, I'll have a backup to map LTE in the Vegas market.

After all the problems I've had with Android phones in the last year, my next phone will most likely be an iPhone, and I will keep an Android phone as a fall back device in case I break the iPhone. (Plus until Sensorly mapping comes to the iPhone, I'll have a backup to map LTE in the Vegas market.

To be honest, Android phones are lot better than Iphone.

Iphone 5 to me is like a baby Android product from years ago.

While I'm currently an android user, "better" is such a highly subjective term which causes so many unnecessary flame wars on the interwebz.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Flame wars? In the Android vs. iOS argument, all I ever see is nuclear bombs. When I came to Sprint, it was specifically for the cheaper service and the EVO Shift with it's sliding keyboard. I was wanting to try something new. And it turned out I really liked the physical keyboard. But when you get 4 defective phones in a row, it kind of just sours my taste for ever wanting another Android. Otherwise, I don't mind the Android OS at all. I just don't like the manufacturers desires to block rooting and custom ROM's. LG locked the bootloader and it's been nearly impossible for the LG Viper to get custom ROM's because of it. If I do get an iPhone again, I hope it's before Apple plugs the breach that evasion found so I can jailbreak.

To be honest, Android phones are lot better than Iphone.

Iphone 5 to me is like a baby Android product from years ago.

No need to get this thread sidetracked by wanting to start a flame war even though it may not have been your intention.

Flame wars? In the Android vs. iOS argument, all I ever see is nuclear bombs. When I came to Sprint, it was specifically for the cheaper service and the EVO Shift with it's sliding keyboard. I was wanting to try something new. And it turned out I really liked the physical keyboard. But when you get 4 defective phones in a row, it kind of just sours my taste for ever wanting another Android. Otherwise, I don't mind the Android OS at all. I just don't like the manufacturers desires to block rooting and custom ROM's. LG locked the bootloader and it's been nearly impossible for the LG Viper to get custom ROM's because of it. If I do get an iPhone again, I hope it's before Apple plugs the breach that evasion found so I can jailbreak.

Josh, I have to be honest with you, your choice of android devices hasn't exactly been the best android phones available at the time. There is a huge difference in user experience when going from a low to mid level android device to a flagship device and thats basically a huge advantage apple will have being that they basically have one current device at a time.

• Like 1

Josh, I have to be honest with you, your choice of android devices hasn't exactly been the best android phones available at the time. There is a huge difference in user experience when going from a low to mid level android device to a flagship device and thats basically a huge advantage apple will have being that they basically have one current device at a time.

Probably that's the key reason. If I do ever get another Android device, it will be a flagship, even if it's a used SGS3, but I still want to go back to an iPhone, the key reason being all those 600+ apps I have for iOS that I don't get to use. I sure miss some games on iPhone that aren't available for Android.

But to be back on topic, iPhone 5S this year, maybe 6 next Spring. But the 5S better have the same colors as the iPod Touch, otherwise it's a waste of an incremental upgrade.

I am really sorry. I did know it would turn out this way. I just wanted to share the news I found.

Sorry guys.

Both Android and Iphone has advantages and shortcomings.

The link you provided was fine in my opinion it's just that when you say "Android is better than iOS", then thats basically troll bait even if it wasn't what you intended.