Network Vision Explained

One snag in Sprint Nextel’s 800 MHz plan is that it’s currently supporting a dwindling iDEN customer base in that band. Following a spectrum re-banding effort designed to reduce interference with public safety communications in the 800 MHz band, Sprint Nextel was left with 14 megahertz of contiguous spectrum in that band. The carrier has said it plans to shutter its iDEN service in the coming years, a process that is being helped by the continued defection of iDEN customers from that network. However, until all of those customers are moved to CDMA-based services, or leave for another carrier, Sprint Nextel will have to reserve a portion of that 800 MHz band for iDEN customers.

They way I read this is that Sprint will have only 14MHz after rebanding from iDEN in the 800MHz band. If they move 1x/EVDO to that band as well, how will they have room to also migrate LTE in that space. 14MHz seems rather crowded for both LTE and 1x/EVDO.

They way I read this is that Sprint will have only 14MHz after rebanding from iDEN in the 800MHz band. If they move 1x/EVDO to that band as well' date=' how will they have room to also migrate LTE in that space. 14MHz seems rather crowded for both LTE and 1x/EVDO.[/quote']

They are only putting one 1x carrier and one 5x5 LTE carrier on 800MHz. They have not planned to put any EVDO carriers on 800 since they have changed course to LTE in 2011.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

• 2 weeks later...
So I was thinking if PCS LTE doesn't go as far as EVDO what will T-Mobile's LTE look like then on AWS

It will be about the same on download and slightly worse on upload, in equal size channels. However, Tmo is deploying wider channels. Tmo LTE will likely be noticeably faster than Sprint LTE. But Tmo 3G coverage is lacking in many markets. So in those markets, their LTE coverage will be even worse. But it will be faster where you get it. At least until Clearwire gets going.

Robert via Samsung Note II using Forum Runner

• Like 1

It will be about the same on download and slightly worse on upload, in equal size channels. However, Tmo is deploying wider channels. Tmo LTE will likely be noticeably faster than Sprint LTE. But Tmo 3G coverage is lacking in many markets. So in those markets, their LTE coverage will be even worse. But it will be faster where you get it. At least until Clearwire gets going.

Robert via Samsung Note II using Forum Runner

On T-Mobile if you don't have a good on 2100mhz but get a signal on 1700mhz will it show you have service

On T-Mobile if you don't have a good on 2100mhz but get a signal on 1700mhz will it show you have service

Actually, I need to correct what I said above. I have it backwards. AWS is downlink on 2100 and uplink on 1700. So the signal will be weaker on the download, than on the upload. But because of the wider channels on Tmo, it shouldn't be a big deal. It should perform well, and even better than Sprint in most metrics. Except Sprint has superior coverage than Tmo in many markets. Like where I live.

Robert

No, this is wrong on two counts. One, a T-Mobile device will never "get a signal on 1700 MHz," as that is the frequency block used for uplink transmission from the device to the site. Two, if a T-Mobile device has no usable connection from the site on the 2100 MHz downlink, then the device will be out of service -- at least, for W-CDMA 2100+1700.

In short, if there is no usable downlink connection, then there is no service. Period. The uplink in that case is irrelevant.

AJ

• Like 1

A month. It wouldn't take a month start to finish, mind you, if they were doing one site at time. But the RF design was figured into clusters. Clusters were designed to have 20 sites each on average. Some as few as 10, some as many as 30. Each cluster takes approximately 20 work days to complete. That's right around one calendar month. Most markets have several clusters being worked on at any given time with several crews.

The work starts at the beginning of the cluster installing the new Network Vision hardware at each site (cabinets, coax, RRU's, antennas/panels). Side by side with existing legacy gear still operating. One (or two) crews does this over the entire cluster. Once the hardware is complete for the whole cluster, they set up everything and bring up the whole cluster on Network Vision. All the while the legacy network is still operating.

The Network Vision gear is running on PCS G Block frequencies for testing, so as to not interfere with existing customers. Existing customers stay on legacy networks oblivious to anything occurring. Testing commences, including full cluster drive route testing. Testing handoffs. Testing E911. First they test 1xA and EVDO. Once this is acceptable, they test LTE on the same frequencies.

Once testing is complete and everything is accepted, they transfer service from legacy gear to Network Vision gear. This would be the first time customers would notice anything. If everything happened timely in the cluster, this occurs 20 working days from the start. Then after the switch over, the legacy equipment starts to be removed.

Yes. I have seen info regarding the full deployment schedule. I am not ready to announce any Florida markets yet. But I would stick around. It won't be too long. :)

- Robert

I know the number of sites updated per week is starting to get rolling finally but seven months in does it feel like they are meeting these estimates on started sites? The time per site trend improving?

Greetings. Not sure if this is the place to ask and I did my best to search posts for an answer and found none. I am just curious if anyone has information on when West Texas (specifically Big Spring, Midland, and Odessa areas) will be getting upgraded.

• 3 weeks later...
Greetings. Not sure if this is the place to ask and I did my best to search posts for an answer and found none. I am just curious if anyone has information on when West Texas (specifically Big Spring' date=' Midland, and Odessa areas) will be getting upgraded.[/quote']

That market is in the 3rd or 4th round. Those rounds are still in the air. They could start anytime between now and the end of 2013. All work is scheduled to be done by the end of 2013 or early 2014.

Im still confused about what they are doing with the new LTE sites. Are they modifying' date=' taking down, or making completely new towers?[/quote']

They are mounting new multi mode antennas with RRUs on the tower, and new base station equipment. Once the new equipment is up, tested and operating properly, they remove the old equipment.

• Like 1

That market is in the 3rd or 4th round. Those rounds are still in the air. They could start anytime between now and the end of 2013. All work is scheduled to be done by the end of 2013 or early 2014.

Thanks for the heads up.

Will there be an price increase to our plan if we use lte

No. You just pay the $10 Premium data fee that you likely already pay.

Robert

• Like 1

Do you know what the range of these towers are? Going by the roll out maps, I want to know how close the towers need to be before I can be in range of the upgraded towers..

It is highly variable. From five blocks to 10 miles. Sprint specifically engineers each site based on the anticipated customer demand of each cell. A cell can only support so many customers. Areas with more customers have much smaller cells. They engineer the site panel mounting height and downtilt (panel angle) to cover the area needed.

If you go to the Sponsor maps, and look at the site, then look at the adjacent sites around it, they will likely design the cell sector to reach 2/3 of the distance to the next site. That will help you figure out the distance likely that will be covered when any particular site goes live.

Robert

EVDO service in the northern Dallas suburb of Frisco has been very poor for the past few weeks. If NV is fully installed and tested before affecting legacy equipment, why would this be?

The problems you are experiencing can be unrelated to Network Vision. These types of problems occurred even before NV started occasionally. You should report your problems to Sprint. Make sure you get a ticket number if you do.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Robert

Part 1

I have seen That sprint is in the process of taking ownership of clearwire, I'm sorry for a question that may have a simply answer, but what does this mean for Sprint user's?

Part 2... I see as of today Greenwood sc is to receive 4g per Sprints web site , what factors came to play that Greenwood a market that I don't think is tied to any of the other markets that were announced would have 4g before the upstate sc is announced which is a very large market. Do you think that the upstate meaning Greenville sc will be getting 4g as well. Thanks.

Robert

Part 1

I have seen That sprint is in the process of taking ownership of clearwire, I'm sorry for a question that may have a simply answer, but what does this mean for Sprint user's?

Part 2... I see as of today Greenwood sc is to receive 4g per Sprints web site , what factors came to play that Greenwood a market that I don't think is tied to any of the other markets that were announced would have 4g before the upstate sc is announced which is a very large market. Do you think that the upstate meaning Greenville sc will be getting 4g as well. Thanks.

1. The full effects of Clearwire purchase are still unknown. However, it is believed that the main goals of the purchase is so Sprint can directly control when and where the TD-LTE 2600 is deployed to help bolster the Sprint LTE network...and, so SoftBank can maximize on device adoption scale of TD-LTE 2600, as SoftBank also uses this technology/frequency.

2. Network Vision and LTE deployment is coming to every Sprint site in South Carolina. We should not get hung up in the order. The order is not created as a desire to start places first that Sprint prefers, but rather which places have permitting, infrastructure and everything in place to begin. Upstate will definitely start in 2013, and likely in the first half. Probably even the first quarter.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 1

Great site. San Diego question. Seems to be a lot of 3G work going on, but little in the way of LTE. Any thoughts as to why?

Thanks

A good question. The answer is likely to be one of a hundred things that have to happen before 3G or LTE can go life is hanging it up. California seems to get 3G first. The midwest LTE. I'm not sure which is really better if your in a area where 1x and 3G are over loaded. The "3G" first upgrade would help with phone calls and fringe area data may be better too. I don't think its they want A done before B so much as they can get A done first.

I should point out I don't really know what I;m talking about I'm just a reader here too. My theory that some idiot in the mail room sent all the 3G NV gear to California and all the LTE gear to Kansas City didn't pan out.

I have a question that I don't quite understand. I've searched around and didn't find it or missed it.

After permitting is done is there a specific chronological order to a site upgrade? I mean, I know LTE going live is the last (other than future 800Mhz stuff) on the pecking order however,

Do they, or must they get the fiber installed first?

Can they tie in the old base stations to the new back haul?

Can they fire up the new panels to the old base stations?

Is it an all or nothing sequence?

I had read a post about keeping the existing equipment functional while upgrading but how is that done on a crowded tower?