Network Vision Explained

Nextel was awesome' date=' until text messaging replaced PTT. I think I would stab someone if they sent an alert to my phone today...[/quote']

Lol.

Actually I wouldn't mind the PTT app when they make it available for Android soon.

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

Lol.

Actually I wouldn't mind the PTT app when they make it available for Android soon.

Do you remember the alert feature of Nextel? It locked your phone until you returned the PTT...

Do you remember the alert feature of Nextel? It locked your phone until you returned the PTT...

We took one of our bosses out to the wood shed once because he didn't understand what exactly the alert feature did to our phones. He used the alert feature like it was a pager. Just to let us know he called for us. He was totally oblivious to the Jack Wagon he was being.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

No, I didn't know about that feature. I would not like my phone locked down like that one bit.

No, I didn't know about that feature. I would not like my phone locked down like that one bit.

If I remember correctly, there was a way around it, but it was still a pain. Also the phone would screech at you every 5 minutes or so until you returned the alert.

Oh I hated the Alert feature. I had a co-worker that only alerted, never used the normal chirp. I cleared and ignored every alert from him...

I don't know if Sprint will be bringing out PTT app for iOS but there is a similar app called HeyTell that works on iOS and Android. It works anywhere you have cell or WiFi.

In more marginal coverage areas it may take longer to deliver messages but in my experience it is quite fast and I have yet to experience lost messages. I never understood what was so special about iDEN PTT or why people seem so upset about it.

Bainbridge is an area that is severely affected because of the FCC's ignorant decision to not block the acquisition of spectrum squatter ATN's acquisition of Alltel properties in six states of which Georgia is one. How bad is ATN?

AT&T should have been allowed to take the other six markets that VZW shed off in addition to the 18 they did acquire for

Verizon as part of the Alltel divestures. Yes, ATN/Commnet is that bad. I bet they hit Sprint bad on roaming rates as well.

Just a really rotten example of the FCC screwing the pooch. I wouldn't blame Sprint for the lack of competition which is eluded to here. If anything the FCC should be cutting a check to Sprint for providing completion of NV in these six states, specifically in the areas where they screwed the pooch with Alltel.

Edited by Fraydog

Bainbridge is an area that is severely affected because of the FCC's ignorant decision to not block the acquisition of spectrum squatter ATN's acquisition of Alltel properties in six states of which Georgia is one. How bad is ATN?

AT&T should have been allowed to take the other six markets that VZW shed off in addition to the 18 they did acquire for

Verizon as part of the Alltel divestures. Yes, ATN/Commnet is that bad. I bet they hit Sprint bad on roaming rates as well.

Just a really rotten example of the FCC screwing the pooch. I wouldn't blame Sprint for the lack of competition which is eluded to here. If anything the FCC should be cutting a check to Sprint for providing completion of NV in these six states, specifically in the areas where they screwed the pooch with Alltel.

We have a lot of Commnet sites here in Northern New Mexico that I roam on. They have great backhaul on really remote sites. Often get 1.5Mbps to 2.5Mbps. However, I bet Sprint pays them beaucoup bucks for it all.

Robert

We have a lot of Commnet sites here in Northern New Mexico that I roam on. They have great backhaul on really remote sites. Often get 1.5Mbps to 2.5Mbps. However, I bet Sprint pays them beaucoup bucks for it all.

Robert

Sprint has existing 3G roaming contracts with them in my neck of the woods. Occasionally I'll fall back to extended roaming off VZW on them. Speeds are really good, but I kind of operate under the assumption that I'm usually the only user on that EV-DO channel. They sure shed a lot of customers here. Billing and customer service in particular were large issues.

• 2 weeks later...

So this may be a stupid question and may have been answered a thousand times over, but is Sprint planning on utilizing ANY of their Nextel towers? It seems to me like they would take down the Nextel hardware and install CDMA/LTE in areas where they have coverage gaps. Like in the town where I live, Sprint has 1 tower! And when you leave town you start roaming. It makes no sense either because just a couple of years ago there was NO sprint coverage but then they installed the one lone tower and stopped there :(

Robert can give you the 100% answer, however, I don't believe any Nextel only towers are being upgraded. There are some areas that are Nextel only that are losing coverage due to the iDen sunset and they will be allowed to leave Sprint ETF free.

The answer officially is no. Up until today, I have only heard that they are removing all iDEN, on every site. And on iDEN only sites, they had no plans to add back CDMA/LTE.

However, today I heard the first credible rumor that Sprint is looking at a few strategic iDEN only sites for CDMA/LTE expansion. I have no more details than this at this time. And it is just a rumor, but the source is someone I trust. I hope it pans out...for us, and for Sprint.

Robert

• Like 7

The answer officially is no. Up until today, I have only heard that they are removing all iDEN, on every site. And on iDEN only sites, they had no plans to add back CDMA/LTE.

However, today I heard the first credible rumor that Sprint is looking at a few strategic iDEN only sites for CDMA/LTE expansion. I have no more details than this at this time. And it is just a rumor, but the source is someone I trust. I hope it pans out...for us, and for Sprint.

Robert

Wow, that would be awesome. There are so many markets with single CDMA tower, could really improve the footprint and keep the Nextel customers happy too

• Like 1

Wow, that would be awesome. There are so many markets with single CDMA tower, could really improve the footprint and keep the Nextel customers happy too

Or so many nextel towers without a single whiff of Sprint cdma around.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Or so many nextel towers without a single whiff of Sprint cdma around.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Those are obvious drops, but look at North East Michigan, so many towns with a single Sprint tower. But there are plenty of Nextel only sites that could build a very PCS nice footprint

Sent from my CM9 Epic 4g Touch using Forum Runner

That would be awesome. I understand they are wanting to cut down on operating expenses and it makes perfect sense in areas where CDMA and iDEN overlap but it just seems like they could utilize some of the Nextel towers they ALREADY HAVE to give Big Red, also known as the Devil, some real competition in the coverage dept. PLUS, if they take them down now it will be significantly harder to add them back later.

• Like 2

That would be awesome. I understand they are wanting to cut down on operating expenses and it makes perfect sense in areas where CDMA and iDEN overlap but it just seems like they could utilize some of the Nextel towers they ALREADY HAVE to give Big Red, also known as the Devil, some real competition in the coverage dept. PLUS, if they take them down now it will be significantly harder to add them back later.

Bainbridge is a perfect example of that.

I would hope the few Nextel sites in that scenario would get NV before the 2013 cutoff. I'm going to make a guess it's probably between 50 and 100 sites in that need to be NV'ed for Sprint service to remain in this area.

Yes, I'm hoping that they do look at Nextel only sites with a bit of an open mind. If they offer service somewhere they need to make it as solid as they possibly can. If they don't want to offer service in the area, fine, they can roam, but they do need to go through a thorough evaluation of each and very site. Maybe even look beyond the Nextel only sites, at sites where AT&T and Verizon or T-Mobile are at and they're not. Basically, what I'm saying now is the time to look at the network as a whole and decide that they are going to match or exceed the coverage of the big 2 where they decide they want to offer service.

• Like 1

I now have the rumor corroborated. Two separate sources who do not know each other...Sprint employees from different parts of the country. Sprint has selected approximately 100 key sites for now to go from iDEN only to Network Vision CDMA/LTE.

As they identify funding and need they may bring more into the fold. However, none will be sites that are already decommissioned this year. Only sites in next year's decommissioning will be considered.

If I can get corroboration by document with more details (most specifically where), I will write an article about it.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 5

There is a i- den only site not far from me when it gets shut down' date=' will they take the tower down to it is a 200ft mono-pole.[/quote']

Not likely. Sprint doesn't own sites, they lease them. Most likely the tower owner will just try to get another carrier to lease the site. I doubt they will take it down because it's an asset. There may already be another carrier on that tower.

Robert via Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

Well as much as I would like to be excited by this, something tells me that these sites won't be used to increase coverage in rural areas but to add capacity to urban areas. That's if they choose to keep them online at all. Let's hope that I'm wrong- I do.