Network Vision Explained

having a discussion over at xda the other day when I saw a guy label certain "PRL's" as "NetworkVision PRL's" and said he did so b/c of the device's they came from...To my understanding the PRL will not have anything to do with networkvision unless your in an area where they eliminate actual towers and need to point you to connect to different ones...I expect the PRL to have little effect/relation to NetworkVision aside from what i just mentioned. am i correct in that thinking there, or no?

Anyone know how long it takes to upgrade one tower? Is it just a few hours or is it days?

Im going to go with days to just get the equipment on the tower physically in place and hooked up. Not including testing needed to make sure everything is honky dory and not going to blow up stuff before they switch it on permanently...

If you go by the LA market over 1K sites and being done over an 8month period of time that kinda equates to 4 sites a day there roughly, BUT you have no idea how many crews are working at the same time there either...

Edited by Sgt. Slaughter
  • Like 1

having a discussion over at xda the other day when I saw a guy label certain "PRL's" as "NetworkVision PRL's" and said he did so b/c of the device's they came from...To my understanding the PRL will not have anything to do with networkvision unless your in an area where they eliminate actual towers and need to point you to connect to different ones...I expect the PRL to have little effect/relation to NetworkVision aside from what i just mentioned. am i correct in that thinking there, or no?

I looked at those prls and corrected the guy :)

Anyone know how long it takes to upgrade one tower? Is it just a few hours or is it days?

A month. It wouldn't take a month start to finish, mind you, if they were doing one site at time. But the RF design was figured into clusters. Clusters were designed to have 20 sites each on average. Some as few as 10, some as many as 30. Each cluster takes approximately 20 work days to complete. That's right around one calendar month. Most markets have several clusters being worked on at any given time with several crews.

The work starts at the beginning of the cluster installing the new Network Vision hardware at each site (cabinets, coax, RRU's, antennas/panels). Side by side with existing legacy gear still operating. One (or two) crews does this over the entire cluster. Once the hardware is complete for the whole cluster, they set up everything and bring up the whole cluster on Network Vision. All the while the legacy network is still operating.

The Network Vision gear is running on PCS G Block frequencies for testing, so as to not interfere with existing customers. Existing customers stay on legacy networks oblivious to anything occurring. Testing commences, including full cluster drive route testing. Testing handoffs. Testing E911. First they test 1xA and EVDO. Once this is acceptable, they test LTE on the same frequencies.

Once testing is complete and everything is accepted, they transfer service from legacy gear to Network Vision gear. This would be the first time customers would notice anything. If everything happened timely in the cluster, this occurs 20 working days from the start. Then after the switch over, the legacy equipment starts to be removed.

S4GRU do you have any info regarding Tampa, FL LTE deployment? or FL for that matter. I remember Tampa and Miami were fairly prioritized with WiMAX deployment, but that was mainly Clearwire.

Yes. I have seen info regarding the full deployment schedule. I am not ready to announce any Florida markets yet. But I would stick around. It won't be too long. :)

- Robert

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Yes. I have seen info regarding the full deployment schedule. I am not ready to announce any Florida markets yet. But I would stick around. It won't be too long. :)

- Robert

Does this include Orlando and central FL? Lakeland/Winter Haven area?

Since my post above, we have announced 5 Florida markets. Including the market that houses Lakeland/Winter Haven. Which I believe is the Orlando market,trying to recall off the top of my head. I believe the transition between Orlando and Tampa markets is between Lakeland and Plant City, if memory serves.

Robert via NOVO7PALADIN Tablet using Forum Runner

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so cdma rev B is not part of NV?

Those of us already getting better than 1 Mbps on 3G can expect no improvement?

No rev B in NV (unless its unannounced). I haven't seen anywhere that says rev B is part of NV, and I believe that is the general consensus here.

Not sure about the speeds, though. If, you're consistently doing better then 1 meg down, you're doing pretty good for 3G. Maybe you'll be more in the 2 range. (?). However, I believe EVDO-Advanced is part of NV, 1x-A

Edit: http://www.qualcomm....rformance-ev-do

• Like 1

Thanks, no problem on 1x Advanced. I am trying to determine if this is fact or fraud, from a guy claiming that he'd tested LTE and 3G in San Antonio, results consistent with EV-DO Rev B (sorry for the typo above) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W5kmsBXVso

Edited by EarlyMon

Thanks, no problem on 1x Advanced. I am trying to determine if this is fact or fraud, from a guy claiming that he'd tested LTE and 3G in San Antonio, results consistent with EV-DO Rev B (sorry for the typo above) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W5kmsBXVso

Is that the computermaster video? If so yeah that guy is very questionable...how someone like him would get a test device this early is beyond me.

Though the IP in his vid matches up to Sprints addresses reserved so who knows...

Just watching his other vids and such make it highly questionable to me personally. Lol

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

OK' date=' so cdma rev B is not part of NV?

Those of us already getting better than 1 Mbps on 3G can expect no improvement?[/quote']

There is no Revision B in Network Vision. Sprint did consider it. However, it was rejected, because it slowed down projection dates for their eventual migration to an all LTE based network down the road. And it would add just another layer of cost to a network they are going to try to phase out.

If you think about it, people on an EVDO-B network have no incentive to upgrade and move up to LTE. With the WiMax network, with extremely inconsistent coverage and speeds, people cannot wait to jump off. But EVDO-B to LTE would be a harder sale.

I think this fascination with miraculous mega fast LTE speeds are a fad. Most people don't have speeds greater than 3Mbps to 12Mbps in their home ISP. And most people won't pay a premium for it. You can't feel a performance difference on a smartphone for speeds greater than 3Mbps, except when downloading large files. Only in tethering do users really notice greater than 3Mbps speeds. Other than Sprint, all other carriers are cracking down and/or limiting tethering. And I expect Sprint to follow suit on tethering soon after LTE implementation.

I think in the next 12 months, consumers are going to reject the whole ultra-fast and getting faster wireless data concepts and say, 'hey, give me a reasonably fast and consistent solid network with few barriers and limits for an affordable cost.' That is when Sprint will be in the right position. In that light, they will stand out among their competitors significantly.

Back to existing 3G performance. I too get 1Mbps+ speeds on 3G EVDO from towers in Pojoaque, Los Alamos and Espanola (except the one by Walmart). In fact, its up to 1.3Mbps. The reason why it never goes above 1.3-1.4Mbps is because the T1 backhaul they are connected to is limited to 1.5Mbps top speed. However, post Network Vision, almost every site in NM will be on Microwave or AAV backhaul. Allowing speeds over 2Mbps. So, there should be some improvement when sites in your area move over to enhanced backhaul. If speeds do not improve, then your area needed more EVDO carriers.

If you ever are on the northside of ABQ, over on Osuna Road in the back of the Calvary Albuquerque parking lot, there is a Sprint site with 2Mbps EVDO speeds. That's because it is a relatively new site with AAV backhaul provided by the church. A little glimpse of what a post Network Vision 3G site will perform like. Just don't test it during an event or concert.

As for computermaster and the San Antonio testing, it's hogwash. I went back after getting NV site by site schedules and there were no sites active when he posted the video. They had not started even putting up panels and RRU's in the market then. They were only working on backhaul and setting cabinets when that supposed LTE video was posted.

Also of note, the fastest LTE speed ever noted in any report from FIT testing that I have ever seen was 31.7Mbps. Nothing anywhere close approaching the 40+Mbps claimed.

Robert via NOVO7PALADIN Tablet using Forum Runner

• Like 2

Many thanks! That makes sense.

To be honest, I'm pretty happy with my 3G service, and I'm more interested in having LTE replace my home DSL (7 Mbps down, peaks around 12 Mbps). Close, but not enough, for HD video streaming. I'd gladly pay for a solution for that.

I haven't been trying to follow any pricing, but I don't expect LTE to be tiered, any more than WiMax was, so I'm otherwise interested just to know what to expect with new handsets, at first. I see people posting LTE SpeedNet test results on Verizon and I'm more than skeptical of the values reported, and far from able to see the point for a phone.

In any case, I expect throughput to decrease as load increases, and if we're pariticipating (by paying our monthly subscriptions) in a buildout that will ensure high-speed downloads and good mobile service no matter where I travel in the US, I am more than all for that.

• Like 1

He might be using Sprint WiMax unless WiMax wasn't deployed in San Antonio. If that is the case, then he found a way to spoof his IP address to make it look like Sprint. Those speeds are too good to be true. Someone find that phony and beat him up for this.

• Like 1

He might be using Sprint WiMax unless WiMax wasn't deployed in San Antonio. If that is the case, then he found a way to spoof his IP address to make it look like Sprint. Those speeds are too good to be true. Someone find that phony and beat him up for this.

Not Wimax as their ip addresses are not under sprint I'm pretty sure...

To be honest after checking the ip to be in sprints range and then seeing his other videos I just chalked it up to good trickery on his part and dismissed the whole thing...seriously, watch some of his other videos....the guy is a nut.

...seriously, watch some of his other videos....the guy is a nut.

lol. No kidding, and that's putting it lightly.. turn the vol up and listening to him explains it all.

lol. No kidding, and that's putting it lightly.. turn the vol up and listening to him explains it all.

The video of the fastest internet or whatever he titled it was a trip to watch.

• Like 1

The video of the fastest internet or whatever he titled it was a trip to watch.

and pr0n galore... should really close some windows and history before posting videos like that.

Yeah. No. Gonna take a pass on that. :D :D :D

I'll pass too. He was too crazy in the one that was linked here.

Sent from Joshs Evo Shift using Forum Runner

• Like 1

• 1 month later...