Sprint Airave

Well, as I am known for pointing out, it is still 3G.  Like EV-DO, CDMA1X is also 3G.  And we need to get people to stop referring to "3G," generically.

As for why EV-DO has disappeared, I doubt this is the reason, but I would not be surprised to see it in the future.  For one CDMA1X carrier channel, an Airave requires 2.5 MHz of available spectrum.  For one EV-DO carrier channel, it requires another 2.5 MHz of available spectrum.  That available spectrum comes from unused carrier channel assignments or active carrier channel assignments -- the latter only if path loss is great enough that the Airave will not interfere with service from any local sites.

Here is the problem, as part of Network Vision, Sprint is upping the carrier channel count on many sites.  And in the coming year, Sprint plans to deploy a second LTE 1900 carrier on many sites.  That takes unused carrier channel assignments and puts them into service.  Thus, fallow spectrum for Airave use is apt to start diminishing.  And it could make sense for Sprint to disable Airave EV-DO (where necessary) to cut down the amount of spectrum that an Airave is occupying to only one carrier channel.  By now, anyone who has an Airave and needs wireless data at that location should be on Wi-Fi anyway.

AJ

Thanks for the information WiWavelength! How does the available carrier channel assignments at a local site affect the Airave channel assignments, as I thought it was all dependent on your internet connection?

Well, as I am known for pointing out, it is still 3G. Like EV-DO, CDMA1X is also 3G. And we need to get people to stop referring to "3G," generically.

As for why EV-DO has disappeared, I doubt this is the reason, but I would not be surprised to see it in the future. For one CDMA1X carrier channel, an Airave requires 2.5 MHz of available spectrum. For one EV-DO carrier channel, it requires another 2.5 MHz of available spectrum. That available spectrum comes from unused carrier channel assignments or active carrier channel assignments -- the latter only if path loss is great enough that the Airave will not interfere with service from any local sites.

Here is the problem, as part of Network Vision, Sprint is upping the carrier channel count on many sites. And in the coming year, Sprint plans to deploy a second LTE 1900 carrier on many sites. That takes unused carrier channel assignments and puts them into service. Thus, fallow spectrum for Airave use is apt to start diminishing. And it could make sense for Sprint to disable Airave EV-DO (where necessary) to cut down the amount of spectrum that an Airave is occupying to only one carrier channel. By now, anyone who has an Airave and needs wireless data at that location should be on Wi-Fi anyway.

AJ

Thanks for the information WiWavelength! How does the available carrier channel assignments at a local site affect the Airave channel assignments, as I thought it was all dependent on your internet connection?

It is dependent on the GPS location of the unit. When it starts up before then radio is initialized the server tells the airave which SID and channels to use.

I have a question...since an airave is tied somehow with towers, is there a reason why my airave would be working properly, with beeps before calls, but only giving me 1x data? I have the newest 2.5 version, just noticed on both mine and wife's S3 that we are only 1X data. Should be 3G.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

My Airave 2.5 goes to 1x and back to 3G data randomly, I think it's normal but at home I am on WiFi so it doesn't really bother me.

Anyone know if my Digis Internet would support an Airave? Of course, it could be bad when we leave town and turn our internet connection on standby.

I have a question...since an airave is tied somehow with towers, is there a reason why my airave would be working properly, with beeps before calls, but only giving me 1x data? I have the newest 2.5 version, just noticed on both mine and wife's S3 that we are only 1X data. Should be 3G.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I have no idea why, but I've noticed that if I am connected to Wifi, my S3 connects only to 1X data. When I turn off wifi and it starts using data, it seems to switch over to 3G/EV-DO. It's possible that the correlation is just my imagination, but I'm fairly sure that's what is happening. 

I have no idea why, but I've noticed that if I am connected to Wifi, my S3 connects only to 1X data. When I turn off wifi and it starts using data, it seems to switch over to 3G/EV-DO. It's possible that the correlation is just my imagination, but I'm fairly sure that's what is happening. 

It is, there is no reason to leave the EVDO connection active while connected to WiFi, so it disconnects and utilizes the WiFi connection for all data traffic instead. 1X is left on for text/voice calls so by extension data may work, but your usage will still be routed through the WiFi connection anyway.