Cheesy ESMR/LTE base station tracker

lordsutch

How do you export the data?  is there a specific export button?  Does it create an automatic file some place? 

Robert

If you have logging turned on, look in /storage/sdcard0/Android/data/com.lordsutch.android.signaldetector/files

Fusion tables gets fun for making maps of the data and using the buckets option on the dbm signal number to see colors based on how low or high the signal is.

• Like 1

If you have logging turned on, look in /storage/sdcard0/Android/data/com.lordsutch.android.signaldetector/files

Fusion tables gets fun for making maps of the data and using the buckets option on the dbm signal number to see colors based on how low or high the signal is.

Perfect! That's exactly what I'm using it for. To build some local AT&T maps for my use and track LTE deployment in my area. I'm also going to build VZW Band 4 LTE maps too.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

Perfect! That's exactly what I'm using it for. To build some local AT&T maps for my use and track LTE deployment in my area. I'm also going to build VZW Band 4 LTE maps too.

Sounds just like me... I got bored with not updating my market maps lately and started making a AT&T map so I know which sites I'm on.

Sounds just like me... I got bored with not updating my market maps lately and started making a AT&T map so I know which sites I'm on.

I've been spoiled knowing every intimate detail of the Sprint network the past few years. I feel like I'm flying blind on other carriers.

I've been spoiled knowing every intimate detail of the Sprint network the past few years. I feel like I'm flying blind on other carriers.

So it's safe to use the term, "You've been in Bed" with Sprint for awhile now eh? 

;)

-Kris

• Like 1

So it's safe to use the term, "You've been in Bed" with Sprint for awhile now eh?

Does AT&T make Robert wear a condom when he uses the phone?

:P

AJ

• Like 1

AJ

I do it for MY protection!!

• Like 3

;)

-Kris

AJ

I do it for MY protection!!

Wow, this thread has taken a really awkward turn today.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

If you see something like 8.22E+03 in your log files and you used Excel, you are seeing an Excel .CSV conversion problem.  I tried numerous workarounds with the data.  None worked.  Microsoft has chosen to ignore the post-facto standards and fully processes the .csv file fields even if the text was sent in quotes. It sees numbers with an "E" and thinks scientific notation.   Numerous people and firms have this problem with such things as product codes and serial numbers.  Microsoft doesn't care, label your file as .txt and use their wizard they say.  Office Libre' and Open Office are reported not to have this problem.

lordsutch, I love the logging capabilities of this app. :)  

1) Could you make it so the screen matches the log, ie replace "missing" with GCI data when possible.  Some of this may be because my G2 triband phone does connect even when registered = 0 (i.e.: 60mbps+ downloads, etc.) 

2) Any way to change the orientation of the map?  I am used to driving towards the top of the map.

3) Can the map use a .kml file? If so, how?

Thank you very much!!

There you have it folks, we are just witnessing the birth of both Ver4GRU and ATT4GRU. The Death Star strikes back. Hell has frozen over.

TS out (looking for a Jedi) 

• Like 2

If you see something like 8.22E+03 in your log files and you used Excel, you are seeing an Excel .CSV conversion problem. I tried numerous workarounds with the data. None worked.

Can you provide an example of a GCI that does this? I have been testing CSV exports for my own app and have not come across this yet.

-Mike

Can you provide an example of a GCI that does this? I have been testing CSV exports for my own app and have not come across this yet.

Using Microsoft Excel version 14.0.7106.5003 (32-bit) Part of Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 Product ID:02257-210-5811686-49586  (My goal was not to test every production version of Excel, although I do have them all)

One of the several problem GCIs was 08609E01

From my testings for this post as it was (including typo):

excel after opening signal dector test quotes or not.JPG

The first row is the default header, the second row is the unmodified record, the third is a record that should work because the GCI value is in quotes, and then other text options. The GCI should be appearing as 08609E01 without quotes.

Here it is in a test file. https://www.dropbox.com/s/zg91rbzthah2lsq/signal%20detector%20test%20quotes%20or%20not.csv Download the file and double click on it, which should cause Excel to convert it.

I was trying to see if there was a way to program around it.  My conclusion was that it should just be documented.

• 3 months later...

FYI, I pushed another update to the apk a couple of days ago that changes a couple of things; most notably it now hides information that's absent, reducing screen clutter on triband devices or when you don't have LTE.

I expect in the next update to do a better job of sorting the LTE neighbor cells list and I may also swap out Leaflet.js for the new Mapbox slippy map API for Android (mostly because it's silly to be running a browser window + JavaScript when it could all be just native Java with ART goodness) if I can get it to work sensibly without too much pain.  There probably won't be many more features after that; mikejeep's excellent SignalCheck Pro scratches most of my other itches, and I have other projects I probably should work on (both professionally and hobby-wise).

Anyway, have fun with it!

• Like 2

FYI, I pushed another update to the apk a couple of days ago that changes a couple of things; most notably it now hides information that's absent, reducing screen clutter on triband devices or when you don't have LTE.

I expect in the next update to do a better job of sorting the LTE neighbor cells list and I may also swap out Leaflet.js for the new Mapbox slippy map API for Android (mostly because it's silly to be running a browser window + JavaScript when it could all be just native Java with ART goodness) if I can get it to work sensibly without too much pain. There probably won't be many more features after that; mikejeep's excellent SignalCheck Pro scratches most of my other itches, and I have other projects I probably should work on (both professionally and hobby-wise).

Anyway, have fun with it!

Happened to snag it on a reload the other day. Glad to see the updates. One thing I have noticed is my SIM makes it go to Sprint LTE on the map instead of AT&T by default.

No biggie as I use it for logging more and throw it into Google fusion tables. Hands down the best app for manually finding a site! Mapped over 80 sites out and tracked them down. Couldn't have done it any other way.

One question.. Is there a way we can log the HSPA sites? Like tower ID, signal, LAT long, etc? That would be awesome.

Happened to snag it on a reload the other day. Glad to see the updates. One thing I have noticed is my SIM makes it go to Sprint LTE on the map instead of AT&T by default.

No biggie as I use it for logging more and throw it into Google fusion tables. Hands down the best app for manually finding a site! Mapped over 80 sites out and tracked them down. Couldn't have done it any other way.

One question.. Is there a way we can log the HSPA sites? Like tower ID, signal, LAT long, etc? That would be awesome.

What MCC-MNC is AT&T using in your area? I thought I caught them all but I might have missed one. That's an easy fix. When/if I switch to the Mapbox map framework I can probably make that setting more persistent too.

And sure, I can add GSM and WCDMA logging. Shouldn't be much extra work to speak of - just a few LoC.

What MCC-MNC is AT&T using in your area? I thought I caught them all but I might have missed one. That's an easy fix. When/if I switch to the Mapbox map framework I can probably make that setting more persistent too.

And sure, I can add GSM and WCDMA logging. Shouldn't be much extra work to speak of - just a few LoC.

Sounds good. The sites use 310410 as reported by your app and mikejeeps but my SIM is 310150.

Can't wait for the HSPA mapping! Been bored on mapping lately and want to figure out their pattern on the HSPA side. But of course, no hurry.

Sounds good. The sites use 310410 as reported by your app and mikejeeps but my SIM is 310150.

Can't wait for the HSPA mapping! Been bored on mapping lately and want to figure out their pattern on the HSPA side. But of course, no hurry.

Done and done, I think/hope. GSM logging seems to work sitting in the house on my Nexus 4. Can't test the 310150 MNC since I don't have any AT&T SIMs to try (I do have an old H2O SIM lying around, but I'd have to cut it down & don't have a tool), but the logic looks right. I also enabled logging of non-ESMR CDMA sites in case anyone wants to map those for VZW or CSpire or something.

Done and done, I think/hope. GSM logging seems to work sitting in the house on my Nexus 4. Can't test the 310150 MNC since I don't have any AT&T SIMs to try (I do have an old H2O SIM lying around, but I'd have to cut it down & don't have a tool), but the logic looks right. I also enabled logging of non-ESMR CDMA sites in case anyone wants to map those for VZW or CSpire or something.

Wow you work fast!  Excellent work.  Nailed it on both items perfectly!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Long time, no real progress to report. However, I am working on a new release, hopefully in the near future, with two big changes:

• Material design theme.
  • Switching to the Mapbox SDK for the map instead of using Leaflet. This should be faster (since it's not running Javascript inside a Webview anymore), more power-efficient, and potentially less buggy.

However, there are two big issues standing in the way of the latter change: the Mapbox SDK doesn't currently support overlay tiles properly, and non-retina map tiles look horribly tiny. So I'm not sure if I'll back out the API change or find the time to fix the problems or what.

Obligatory screenshot link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dqqunz51d91v6vv/2014-10-23%2022.10.23.png?dl=0

• Like 5

Very nice looking.  Definitely couldn't map out any of my sites without this app.

Would it be possible to add a column or two at the end of the CSV file?  The LTE GCI without the sector on the end and a band number based on the network and sector ID?  I currently throw these in by hand with some Excel formulas.  It helps to narrow things down on sites.

That's what I am doing in my area, mapping HSPA+ and once I finish up I'll switch over to LTE.  Finding AT&T sites can be somewhat of an annoyance tracking them down since I don't have a map of where they are located.