New update for Evo 4G LTE

Jaggrey

I contacted Sprint to get my MSL, but they wouldn't give it to me. Their reasoning was that my phone is under contract. Is this typical? I hear of people getting their MSL all of the time, but I also assume that most people are under the 2 year contract.

Is there some way I can trick them into giving it to me, or do I just call and talk to someone else?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Here's what works for me every time. I use Sprint Chat and when I get someone, I tell them I need the MSL to update my profile via the dialer. If they ask why, I tell them it doesn't always go well through the settings menu, but I usually don't have to go that far. I've gotten MSLs for each of the 3 EVO 4G LTEs I've been through with no issues.

• Like 1

Another easy way to get your MSL code is to activate another phone online. Every time you use the automated online activation, they will email you your MSL code automatically.

But note, that it only works when changing between one LTE device and another LTE device. The online activation fails for me when switching out LTE to WiMax and vice versa. I always have to call when a WiMax device is involved. And when you call to activate, you don't get the email.

If you have another LTE device just switch them out online and you will get MSL code emails for both. Every time I switch out a device for the first time, I log its MSL code in Evernote for safe keeping. And all is right with the world. ;)

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

Does it actually give out the MSL? My experiences with such automated systems is that they give out the OTKSL (one-time key subsidy lock) - a one-time-use key that works like the MSL for initial programming, but is then rendered useless.

But like unccjester said, if you ask for it, they should give it out. It's a pretty easy thing to find, in Sprint's systems, once one has access (store reps, repair techs, chat reps, etc...)

Does it actually give out the MSL? My experiences with such automated systems is that they give out the OTKSL (one-time key subsidy lock) - a one-time-use key that works like the MSL for initial programming, but is then rendered useless.

But like unccjester said, if you ask for it, they should give it out. It's a pretty easy thing to find, in Sprint's systems, once one has access (store reps, repair techs, chat reps, etc...)

It gives you the MSL. I use the code provided to access all the features of my device that require the MSL. They just do not call it an MSL in the email. They call it a "six digit programming code."

Here is an example email:

Thank you for activating your new phone online at Sprint.com.

Many of our phones activate themselves wirelessly when you turn them on. To see if yours has been activated this way, try to make a call. If you succeed, you're done and can start using your phone.

If you can't make calls or your phone was previously activated on our network and used by another customer, you will need to complete some additional steps.

Open your new phone's programming instructions and follow the directions.

You may need to enter the following information in your new phone to complete the activation process:

6-digit programming code: 56XXXX

MDN (Phone number): 505453XXXX

MSID (IMSI): 00000505463XXXX

If you are programming a used phone, look in the manual programming instructions for your steps. If you don't find the instructions to program a used phone, follow the steps below to clear or reset your phone to its factory settings. Important note: This will remove all personal information, including texts, pictures, contacts, applications, etc.

To program a used phone:

On the dial pad, press ##786 followed by an additional # symbol

Follow any on-screen prompts to Reset your phone

Enter the 6-digit code

Select Reset

Confirm any on-screen Reset to default messages

After the reset, press ## followed by the 6-digit code, followed by an additional # symbol (Example: ##123456#) Note: The last # entered will not show on the display

Once the process is complete, verify your phone is programmed by making a call. Please note that some data services may take up to an hour to activate.

If you have any problems, you can call us at 888-211-4727. Please be sure to call from a phone other than your old phone or the one you are trying to activate so we can easily troubleshoot any issues

Get to know your new phone by visiting www.sprint.com/support to:

Watch device videos.

Walk through step-by-step tutorials features like text messaging email, contacts, applications and more.

Find out if your phone's had software updates.

See what others who own your phone are saying about it.

Here are details about your recent changes:

Your account number: 63562XXXX

Your phone number: 505453XXXX

Your new device information (ESN Hex/Dec/Sim): 25669145670642XXXX

Your new device model: SAMSUNG L900 SILVER

Your old device information (ESN Hex/Dec/Sim): 25669143250691XXXX

Your old device model: CPO SAM L710 BL 32GB SNGL

Your plan: Everything Data Share 1500

Please note that any discounts you may be eligible for will be reflected on your bill.

Thank you for choosing Sprint!

Thank you for activating your new phone online at Sprint.com.

Many of our phones activate themselves wirelessly when you turn them on. To see if yours has been activated this way, try to make a call. If you succeed, you're done and can start using your phone.

If you can't make calls or your phone was previously activated on our network and used by another customer, you will need to complete some additional steps.

Open your new phone's programming instructions and follow the directions.

You may need to enter the following information in your new phone to complete the activation process:

6-digit programming code: 75XXXX

MDN (Phone number): 505692XXXX

MSID (IMSI): 00000505692XXXX

If you are programming a used phone, look in the manual programming instructions for your steps. If you don't find the instructions to program a used phone, follow the steps below to clear or reset your phone to its factory settings. Important note: This will remove all personal information, including texts, pictures, contacts, applications, etc.

To program a used phone:

On the dial pad, press ##786 followed by an additional # symbol

Follow any on-screen prompts to Reset your phone

Enter the 6-digit code

Select Reset

Confirm any on-screen Reset to default messages

After the reset, press ## followed by the 6-digit code, followed by an additional # symbol (Example: ##123456#) Note: The last # entered will not show on the display

Once the process is complete, verify your phone is programmed by making a call. Please note that some data services may take up to an hour to activate.

If you have any problems, you can call us at 888-211-4727. Please be sure to call from a phone other than your old phone or the one you are trying to activate so we can easily troubleshoot any issues

Get to know your new phone by visiting www.sprint.com/support to:

Watch device videos.

Walk through step-by-step tutorials features like text messaging email, contacts, applications and more.

Find out if your phone's had software updates.

See what others who own your phone are saying about it.

Here are details about your recent changes:

Your account number: 63562XXXX

Your phone number: 505692XXXX

Your new device information (ESN Hex/Dec/Sim): 25669143250691XXXX

Your new device model: CPO SAM L710 BL 32GB SNGL

Your old device information (ESN Hex/Dec/Sim): 25669145600021XXXX

Your old device model: MOTOROLA XT897 DEVICE KIT

Your plan: Everything Data Share 1500

Please note that any discounts you may be eligible for will be reflected on your bill.

Thank you for choosing Sprint!

• Like 1

I'm not sure what's going on, but ever since this latest maintenance update, I can't get the LTE Scan Timer & BSR Max Timer settings to take updated settings (1 & 1) after heading into the ##3282# menu on edit mode. Once I commit the modifications and the phone restarts, they go right back to the 5 & 4. Is anyone else experiencing this? I've tried just changing the settings and backing out of the menus to no avail as well. :td:

I'm not sure what's going on, but ever since this latest maintenance update, I can't get the LTE Scan Timer & BSR Max Timer settings to take updated settings (1 & 1) after heading into the ##3282# menu on edit mode. Once I commit the modifications and the phone restarts, they go right back to the 5 & 4. Is anyone else experiencing this? I've tried just changing the settings and backing out of the menus to no avail as well. :td:

They have never held on my EVO. At least not in the original release and the most recent one. I don't think I ever tried to change them on the initial JB update.

mine has always held it. as long as you "commit changes".

Got a notification for a system update tonight. Should I not do the update?

What version are you currently running? If you are stock then go ahead and take the update but if you are rooted then you can head over to xda and download the necessary firmware files then flash any rom with the updated base.

I had a chance to use my gps tonight and I am still having random issues. Its not as bad but it seems like every other navigation session I have a lock up, before it locked up every single time

What version are you currently running? If you are stock then go ahead and take the update but if you are rooted then you can head over to xda and download the necessary firmware files then flash any rom with the updated base.

I'm stock but it seemed like the consensus here is that the update was buggy, no?

I'm stock but it seemed like the consensus here is that the update was buggy, no?

Some people have been complaining about lte connectivity but to me its worth taking the update just for the proximity sensor fix. I would go ahead and just take the update.

• Like 2

Some people have been complaining about lte connectivity but to me its worth taking the update just for the proximity sensor fix. I would go ahead and just take the update.

I guess I need to look back at the thread again - I'm not even sure what they proximity sensor fix fixes?

I guess I need to look back at the thread again - I'm not even sure what they proximity sensor fix fixes?

Since the previous update to JB there were a lot of issues with the proximity sensor having a mind of its own, that issue has been addressed with this last update.

OK.. I discovered a possible issue with google play store..??? As I'm connected to 4G on my EVO LTE, I can access the play store without issues ..but when I try to download an app, the progress bar gets stuck and nothing happens.... Then, if I loose 4G and go back to 3G, still cannot download app. Even if I turn on wifi, still not working... I have to reset the phone and then and only then it will work...

But again, if I get a 4G signal again, then I have the same issue where I cannot download an app...

Anybody experienced this???

edit://

...hmmm... apparently I'm not crazy..... ;)

http://community.spr...art=45&tstart=0

http://forum.xda-dev...=1752518&page=3

Edited by puch96
  • Like 1

There's that loose 4g again... Where's AJ's poster at?

160wqkn.png

AJ

• Like 1

OK.. I discovered a possible issue with google play store..??? As I'm connected to 4G on my EVO LTE, I can access the play store without issues ..but when I try to download an app, the progress bar gets stuck and nothing happens.... Then, if I loose 4G and go back to 3G, still cannot download app. Even if I turn on wifi, still not working... I have to reset the phone and then and only then it will work...

But again, if I get a 4G signal again, then I have the same issue where I cannot download an app...

Anybody experienced this???

edit://

...hmmm... apparently I'm not crazy..... ;)

http://community.spr...art=45&tstart=0

http://forum.xda-dev...=1752518&page=3

Weird. I just tried to download an app over 4g and it a seemed to be working....

I'm having issues now where the proximity sensor will stay on after I have ended a call. The only way to turn it off is to place another call or reset the phone. Also, 4g/wifi connectivity is terrible. I can no longer just come home and have the wifi automatically connect, i have to do either airplane mode or turn it off an on. The 4g signal is also weaker since the last update.

Is 3g signal stronger vs 4g when it comes to building penetration? Everytime I go outside my house, I get 4g, when I come in, it switches to 3g again.....

No. However, LTE signal air link is more fragile. So with a weak signal, 3G EVDO is likely to make it indoors than LTE. And that's true of every LTE network, regardless of carrier or frequency. My VZW LTE 750 also doesn't work as well at the edge of service as VZW EVDO on 850MHz.,

Alright, I have run into a few issues running apps. My biggest gripe is when on Facebook's mobile app. When connected to WiFi it will not load pictures or load others comments. When I turn WiFi off it works just fine. Tried it with many other networks to the same conclusion, but more commonly at home. Anyone else have this problem where Facebook and other apps won't load internet based feeds?

My proximity sensor still likes to act buggy every so often, but not as much as it did.

Alright, I have run into a few issues running apps. My biggest gripe is when on Facebook's mobile app. When connected to WiFi it will not load pictures or load others comments. When I turn WiFi off it works just fine. Tried it with many other networks to the same conclusion, but more commonly at home. Anyone else have this problem where Facebook and other apps won't load internet based feeds?

My proximity sensor still likes to act buggy every so often, but not as much as it did.

Yes, the Facebook apps are terrible! It's not the phone, it's the app. But things do load just fine on my wifi.

The Facebook app sucks.