Google setting up it's own cell network.

newboyx

something tells me that the politics of doing a fiber network nationwide was harder (politics/red tape) than they thought....now they doing wireless broadband network for home use.....wireless in home LTE router perhaps ?

• Like 1

But if Google follows it's original plan with the fiber deployment, it wouldn't be focused on large cities...they originally said they wanted to encompass the rural areas that nobody else (or hardly anyone else) had offerings for high speed in...

Which would put Google in the forefront of competition for the small wifi providers that pop-up and re-issue things like Direcway and other internet offerings that leave something to be desired.

There's someone who uses Linksys routers with Direcway satellite internet here..he spends about $150 putting a waterproof box with electric line powering a small Linksys router, plus a 12"x12" antenna that receives the signal from his broadcast station.

Afterwards, he charges about $30/month for redistributed satellite internet ...but back to topic, I'd love to know what they'll do if Clearwire+Sprint goes through...essentially making Google partnering with Sprint.

From the article:

According to the application, first spotted by wireless engineer Steven Crowley, Google said it would be using wireless frequencies that are controlled by Clearwire Corp., a wireless broadband provider... Clearwire on Wednesday declined to say whether it was working with Google on the trial. Companies testing technology on Clearwire’s spectrum typically coordinate with Clearwire when doing so, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Very, very interesting.

So is this BRS spectrum? EBS spectrum? "Controlled" by Clearwire implies BRS, but reporters have been wrong in the past. I can't seem to get the OET post to pull up.

consider googlewireless, elcheapo wrt-54 type routers with usb clearwire wimax/lte dongle.

and the kicker;

freedompop style free wifi access and automagic wifi mesh networks

Edited by dedub

So is this BRS spectrum? EBS spectrum? "Controlled" by Clearwire implies BRS, but reporters have been wrong in the past.

It is both BRS and EBS, though mainly EBS. I just tweeted Google's requested frequency ranges: 2524-2546 MHz and 2567-2625 MHz. The latter extends into BRS.

Clearwire controls the only BRS license in the Bay Area and leases most/all available EBS spectrum from a Catholic school consortium, at least one community college, even Stanford.

AJ

• Like 2

I wonder how difficult it would be, to turn google fiber boxes into all-encompassing (or as many as possible frequency) pico/femto/hetro/metro/wifi roaming cell towers.

another article outlining some possible scenarios http://www.dailywire...reless-service/

Awhile back I speculated that google and/or apple might make a play for clear and/or sprint to quickly build out a nationwide network. Backhauled by google fiber would be the icing on the cake.

I wonder how Son/Hess are doing about now.

more speculation; the next (or next next) nexus phone, will be global lte2600, and provide minimal 2g/3g support while providing for the most number of possible carrier combinations. Meaning that carrier specific lte will be ignored or deprioritized as much as possible, to allow for the widest voice network compatibility while relying on lte2600 (and google fiber provided femto/pico cells where available) for data.

Edited by dedub
  • Like 1

I wonder how difficult it would be, to turn google fiber boxes into all-encompassing (or as many as possible frequency) pico/femto/hetro/metro/wifi roaming cell towers.

On the other side of the Net Neutrality spectrum, I believer French provider Free actually builds femtos into their IPTV boxes/routers now. Definitely possible, though what Google would want would probably be a single-band (BRS/EBS) LTE-A base station more than anything else. Maybe Sprint would let Google use the spectrum for their own purposes for free in areas that Google has GFiber and femtos backhauling most traffic.

• Like 1

From the article:

Very, very interesting.

So is this BRS spectrum? EBS spectrum? "Controlled" by Clearwire implies BRS, but reporters have been wrong in the past. I can't seem to get the OET post to pull up.

I don't take the use of the term "controlled" to imply anything. All spectrum is a public resource that no company can own, only lease from the govt.

If you post day old news, please look for a preexisting thread.

Merged.

AJ

• Like 1