Change 4G symbol on android devices?

Synovialbasher

Ok... I was able to successfully open the folder that the 4g icon is in using 7zip and I changed the picture name as mentioned before, but now how do I take this systemui file folder (not zipped) and reinstall it onto my phone?

Thanks,

Joe

Ok... I was able to successfully open the folder that the 4g icon is in using 7zip and I changed the picture name as mentioned before, but now how do I take this systemui file folder (not zipped) and reinstall it onto my phone?

Thanks,

Joe

Either use adb from the android SDK to push to system/app or push it manually via a root explorer. You can also have somebody place it into a flash able zip for recovery.

Thanks,

Joe

Well if you already have your images, the easy method to go from here is to go back to the "System.apk" file and do the following:

1.) Right click on the file System.apk and go to the 7-Zip submenu and choose "Open Archive":

2.) Open folders res > drawable-xhdpi... you should see the large list of images:

3.) Get your newly edited image files and drag and drop them into 7-Zip. You'll get a confirmation box to replace the files, say "Yes".

4.) Then get System.apk back on your phone. Make sure to use something like Root Explorer to dump the file back into /system/app/. Once you have it dumped back in there, reboot phone and you should be good to go.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Virtualbot. I finally got some time to sit down and really look this over and I think it worked. I changed my cyanogenmod signal strengh bars to the default samsung ones, and so far I like it. 4G will be the real test on whether it worked or not. I have that network monitor widget so I'll know when it should be saying 4G.

Thanks everyone for all your help!

Joe

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I know this forum is kind of done, but I'm having some trouble in cyanogenmod now. I realize that cyanogenmod's status bar (and more specifically the signal strength) is very different from the stock, and after about a month I find myself wanting to return to stock just for the signal strength meter in the status bar. Does anyone know of a way to change the entire signal status icon along with the 3G/4G data up/down thing to the stock one? Or if its easier can anyone suggest a stock-like rom that gives me the speed of cyanogenmod? Its speed and reliability is what keeps me using it.

I know this forum is kind of done, but I'm having some trouble in cyanogenmod now. I realize that cyanogenmod's status bar (and more specifically the signal strength) is very different from the stock, and after about a month I find myself wanting to return to stock just for the signal strength meter in the status bar. Does anyone know of a way to change the entire signal status icon along with the 3G/4G data up/down thing to the stock one? Or if its easier can anyone suggest a stock-like rom that gives me the speed of cyanogenmod? Its speed and reliability is what keeps me using it.

I've never tried this, but could you replace the SystemUI.apk in /system/ with a stock one? I would nandroid first before attempting it, but it could be worth a try.

I'm on digiblur's ROM now and it has very good battery life, lean, and nice and clean. Might be worth a try.

I've never tried this, but could you replace the SystemUI.apk in /system/ with a stock one? I would nandroid first before attempting it, but it could be worth a try.

I'm on digiblur's ROM now and it has very good battery life, lean, and nice and clean. Might be worth a try.

No no. You can not replace an aosp systemui with a tw one. It will not boot. All of the images in aosp are in the drawable xhdpi folder, you just need to find the images.

Just tried flashing the stock SystemUI apk and... It did nothing. I initially thought it was going to work, too. Hmmm. I think it has something to do with Cyanogenmod's theme chooser and constantly changing systemUI files.... I'll play around a little but if any one hears any thing lmk!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I've been using this site for a while now, and LTE is starting to pop up around me (still haven't connected to it personally yet though). I have a rooted galaxy s3, and from what I've heard, when you connect to LTE, the only sort of notification you get is that the 3G changes to the number 4G in the notifications bar. Since I don't often look there (and glancing up there I probably wouldn't catch sight of it unless all of a sudden my data was going a heck of a lot faster), I'm wondering if there is a way to change what it shows in the status bar as 4G. Maybe something obvious like YOUR_ON_4G or something like that? Or if that's too long I'd rather have it just say 4G LTE so it'll be a little different? Does anyone know how to do this? Right now I'm running stock but I'm considering cyanogenmod for all its themes.

Thanks everyone,

Joe

One thing you could do is flash team Sourcery`s rom onto your phone (Built off of android 4.2.2). The rom has a built in program to flash different .png images for the status bar. Really depends on what device you are using though. What phone do you have?

• 4 weeks later...

I really wish Sprint would change their 4G icon to 4G LTE so that folks won't get confused between WiMax and LTE. I really like the Sprint 4G LTE icon and it would be awesome if they did it on future phones. ATT, verizon and Tmobile all have unique icons for 4G LTE so I think Sprint should do the same.

• Like 1

I really wish Sprint would change their 4G icon to 4G LTE so that folks won't get confused between WiMax and LTE. I really like the Sprint 4G LTE icon and it would be awesome if they did it on future phones. ATT, verizon and Tmobile all have unique icons for 4G LTE so I think Sprint should do the same.

I still think that my design would work well for Sprint. :P

I want mine to say "Hey man quit looking at me and watch the road, I'll switch to 4G when I'm good and ready to do so"

That font in the status bar would be very unreadable. How about changing a script in the front camera so every time you look at the phone, it'll say that to you. Haha

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

What I wish we could really get is what we had with WiMax 4G and we do have with WiFi; a separate signal strength indicator along with the 1X signal strength.

My old Verizon phone had separate signal bars for 1x and EV. It could be nice to do that with three instead of two 1X EV and LTE

My old Verizon phone had separate signal bars for 1x and EV. It could be nice to do that with three instead of two 1X EV and LTE

Why stop at three?  Do four, five, even six separate signal bars.  Meanwhile, the math and science challenged general public expresses a collective "Huh?"

AJ

• Like 1

Why stop at three? Do four, five, even six separate signal bars. Meanwhile, the math and science challenged general public expresses a collective "Huh?"

AJ

An old coworker of mine always said the bars were how many towers she had."How many towers do you have?"

• Like 4

I recently figured out how to do this. I rooted my galaxy s4 and now use AT&T's symbol for 4G lte. The symbols were actually already in my phone for AT&T and for T-mobile. I can't take the credit though, owensri2 was very helpful. I don't know if you saw his post but the link is below. :) If you need help you can always ask me.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3074-change-4g-symbol-on-android-devices/?p=96238

Did mine the other day. I'm gonna use the Verizon one for now, but may change to the LTE only one later. Basically, you pull the SystemUI.apk file off of your phone. You can find it in system/app/SystemUI.apk. You'll want to email it to yourself and get it on your computer. I used 7z to unzip the file. Once in the SystemUI.apk file, you'll click res>drawable-xhdpi and find the stat_sys_data_connected_4g.png file. Basically, you'll edit the name of the icon you want to change the standard 4G icon to. In my case, I renamed the stat_sys_data_connected_4g_lte.png to stat_sys_data_connected_4g.png. Changed the basic 4g.png to 4g_lte.png. I used Root Explorer to pull the file off and transfer it back onto my device. Once you're finished, you'll just simply copy the SystemUI.apk file back to the place you pulled it from, which would be system/app. Once you overwrite the SystemUI.apk file already on your device, it'll force close continuously until you restart your phone. After restart, you're good to go!

Hope that wasn't too confusing. Now if I could have someone help me fix the 3G/1x issue, I'll be all set! :P

Where did you get the Verizon .png files from?  Do you have the Verizon 3G and 4G .png files?  Can it just be any pic of the Verizon 4G LTE logo and saved under the .png format?

I recently figured out how to do this. I rooted my galaxy s4 and now use AT&T's symbol for 4G lte. The symbols were actually already in my phone for AT&T and for T-mobile. I can't take the credit though, owensri2 was very helpful. I don't know if you saw his post but the link is below. :) If you need help you can always ask me.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3074-change-4g-symbol-on-android-devices/?p=96238

Can you post a screenshot of what that looks like.

I personally like the DigiROM's simple LTE characters.  It pains me to think about an AT&T or Verizon LTE logo being on my Sprint device.

Robert

• Like 3

Where did you get the Verizon .png files from?  Do you have the Verizon 3G and 4G .png files?  Can it just be any pic of the Verizon 4G LTE logo and saved under the .png format?

They were already on my phone.