Change 4G symbol on android devices?

Synovialbasher

Looks good. Only recommendation I would do is to flip the EVDO and 3G on the 3G icon.  I like being able to see a difference between the two icons with a quick glance without having to actually look to see if it's a 3 or 4.  That's why I like the 3G and LTE icon I have now.  The LTE is wider than the 3G letters.

For us nerds - that may be worth doing.  I can easily invert the 3G/EvDo letters. 

If you want it for your ROM, let me know and I can prepare a flashable quick edit. ;)

For us nerds - that may be worth doing.  I can easily invert the 3G/EvDo letters. 

If you want it for your ROM, let me know and I can prepare a flashable quick edit. ;)

I've always wanted to do a V.32 or V.32bis icon for 3G ;)

Lol I have no idea what that is. 

Neither do I. :scratch:

Little boys, can you say "modem"?  Good.  Now, say "dial up modem."

AJ

• Like 1

Little boys, can you say "modem"? Good. Now, say "dial up modem."

AJ

I know what a dial up modem is. I just never heard of a v.32 modem before, lol.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

I know what a dial up modem is. I just never heard of a v.32 modem before, lol.

It is not a modem, per se. It is one of many protocols defining modulation schemes and signaling (baud) rates. In those ways, dial up modems are/were very much like our RF airlinks.

AJ

It is not a modem, per se. It is one of many protocols defining modulation schemes and signaling (baud) rates. In those ways, dial up modems are/were very much like our RF airlinks.

AJ

Now I understand the correlation.

V.32bis is an ITU-T recommendation for a modem, allowing up to 14.4 kbit/s bidirectional data transfer.

Ok, that's why I didn't know what v.32 was. I knew what 14.4 kbit/s was.

Yep, same old setup.  Here's all of the data/signal icons in the LG G2 for Sprint.  I'm going to just move all of the Signal icons down and the 3G/4GLTE signals up.  I may also simply make my own 3G/4GLTE signal icons too.

EDIT: Those signal icons aren't the same shade of blue, either!  My OCD is kicking in.

EDIT2: Fixed with my touches.  Pretty much just brought in the international signal icons.  They look much better.

attachicon.gifSprint Signal Icons.png

Yep, same old setup.  Here's all of the data/signal icons in the LG G2 for Sprint.  I'm going to just move all of the Signal icons down and the 3G/4GLTE signals up.  I may also simply make my own 3G/4GLTE signal icons too.

EDIT: Those signal icons aren't the same shade of blue, either!  My OCD is kicking in.

EDIT2: Fixed with my touches.  Pretty much just brought in the international signal icons.  They look much better.

attachicon.gifSprint Fixed.png

You have the G2 systemUI.apk already?

Mine would kick in with the 4 and 5 icons being the same..

Heh, it's a workaround.  Until I can deodex and mod the smali related to this, I'll likely keep it this way.  Not that Signal Bars were accurate on stock roms, anyways. 

I don't understand the point in cutting down on the number of bars displayed.  I wished it had more or was more of a gradual thing by pixel width.  Or just numbers like Signalcheck was or CM has.  Why not just make it a big dot whether you have service or not? ;)

Can you post the Sprint SystemUI.apk?  Also is there a way you can swap between the 5 signal bar and 6 signal bar icons?  If you switch to the 5 signal bar icon display, what do you have to do in terms of naming for the 6th signal bar icon that is not being used?  I am a newbie at this stuff.

I don't understand the point in cutting down on the number of bars displayed.  I wished it had more or was more of a gradual thing by pixel width.  Or just numbers like Signalcheck was or CM has.  Why not just make it a big dot whether you have service or not? ;)

It gives a gist of what the signal strength is, but I've always found AOSP to be better at displaying signal strength as it's not boosted or modified to favor the public's interpretation of a carrier's usability.  And it only has 4 signal bars.  We should modify a method to display -dBm values instead.  AOSP also has this option, so it's probably easy to port in.

Can you post the Sprint SystemUI.apk?  Also is there a way you can swap between the 5 signal bar and 6 signal bar icons?  If you switch to the 5 signal bar icon display, what do you have to do in terms of naming for the 6th signal bar icon that is not being used?  I am a newbie at this stuff.

I will when I get to my PC that has the System Dump on it (well, 95% of the dump, that is.)

I used a shortcut and simply made a copy of the 4/5 signal icon and make that 4 our of 6, and 5 out of 6.  This isn't the technical way of doing this, but it is still an effective way at porting the international icons over.  The technical and more advanced way of doing this is going into the status bar smali files and finding the location where it displays the 6th out of 6th signal icon and removin that line, or simply changing the smali to call upon theinternation icons and not the Sprint ones by name.  For example, the Sprint LG G2 will call upon the signal icons that end with "spcs" at the end, I can remove the line that calls for "spcs" at the end and remove the 6th entry so that there is 5 total.  I'd likely also have to recalculate how the signal icons are displayed since it'll have a null value for the supposed 6th signal bar that I removed.  

Of course, for simplicity, I'd rather just copy one for the 5th and 6th signal icon to prevent the technical headache. 

EDIT: The assets for signal bars might be called from an XML file. I haven't dug deep enough to look.  I'll wait for someone to deodex the whole system first.  If it is XML, it'll be MUCH easier.

It gives a gist of what the signal strength is, but I've always found AOSP to be better at displaying signal strength as it's not boosted or modified to favor the public's interpretation of a carrier's usability.  And it only has 4 signal bars.  We should modify a method to display -dBm values instead.  AOSP also has this option, so it's probably easy to port in.

I will when I get to my PC that has the System Dump on it (well, 95% of the dump, that is.)

I used a shortcut and simply made a copy of the 4/5 signal icon and make that 4 our of 6, and 5 out of 6.  This isn't the technical way of doing this, but it is still an effective way at porting the international icons over.  The technical and more advanced way of doing this is going into the status bar smali files and finding the location where it displays the 6th out of 6th signal icon and removin that line, or simply changing the smali to call upon theinternation icons and not the Sprint ones by name.  For example, the Sprint LG G2 will call upon the signal icons that end with "spcs" at the end, I can remove the line that calls for "spcs" at the end and remove the 6th entry so that there is 5 total.  I'd likely also have to recalculate how the signal icons are displayed since it'll have a null value for the supposed 6th signal bar that I removed.  

Of course, for simplicity, I'd rather just copy one for the 5th and 6th signal icon to prevent the technical headache. 

EDIT: The assets for signal bars might be called from an XML file. I haven't dug deep enough to look.  I'll wait for someone to deodex the whole system first.  If it is XML, it'll be MUCH easier.

I get what you are saying.  If you want to use the international 5 bar system, just use the same 4th bar icon for example to represent spcs 4 and 5 OR the 5th bar icon to represent spcs 5 and 6.  I don't want to make things more complicated that it needs to be.  I guess I didnt think of just using the same icon for both.  I'll think about whether I want the 5 bar or 6 bar system but I think I know what I would need to do.

I get what you are saying. If you want to use the international 5 bar system, just use the same 4th bar icon for example to represent spcs 4 and 5 OR the 5th bar icon to represent spcs 5 and 6. I don't want to make things more complicated that it needs to be. I guess I didnt think of just using the same icon for both. I'll think about whether I want the 5 bar or 6 bar system but I think I know what I would need to do.

I could definitely merge the fifth and sixth icon together easy. I plan on making a ROM on XDA so be on lookout.

I would never see the 6th icon in my market anyways so I could just make the 5th and 6th the same to give me a placebo affect.

That's a sad problem to have. :-(
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...