Change 4G symbol on android devices?

Synovialbasher

Robert, here's the logo with white lettering and black (transparent) background:

Does that mean you are on the S4GRU MVNO?

;)

AJ

• Like 3

So you cheated and didn't decompile/recompile? ;)

It's not too hard.. Let me try to throw together a little guide tonight when I am chilling catching up on the DVR.

Sent from my little Note2

I did what owen did but changed the image with one I made. I cant connect to LTE now at all. Is this because I skipped the decompile/recompile step..?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forum Runner

I did what owen did but changed the image with one I made. I cant connect to LTE now at all. Is this because I skipped the decompile/recompile step..?

If you did it the same way Owen did, then it shouldn't have done anything to keep you from getting LTE. I hope you at least made a backup of SystemUI.apk... That way you can just replace the potential bad version with the working one.

Sent from my Rooted Galaxy Note II using Forum Runner

Actually I don't see how you could break the radio with systemui. I actually booted my phone without a systemui a couple of times. No top bar of course but everything worked. No LTE here so I can't verify if it would or not.

Actually I don't see how you could break the radio with systemui. I actually booted my phone without a systemui a couple of times. No top bar of course but everything worked. No LTE here so I can't verify if it would or not.

Yeah I don't know, all I did was change a png file....I'm going to try to decompile then recompile and see what happens. If nothing else I will just fall back on my original.

If you did it the same way Owen did, then it shouldn't have done anything to keep you from getting LTE. I hope you at least made a backup of SystemUI.apk... That way you can just replace the potential bad version with the working one.

Yeah I don't know, all I did was change a png file....I'm going to try to decompile then recompile and see what happens. If nothing else I will just fall back on my original.

I have flashed my share of butchered systemui. Most of them my own doing. I have never had a "bad" systemui cause me to lose data connectivity.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I figured it out, when I opened it in 7zip for the first time, it created 2 extra files within the apk. A manifest file and a .xml file, just deleted those and I was good to go, no recompiling needed.

Did mine the other day. I'm gonna use the Verizon one for now, but may change to the LTE only one later. Basically, you pull the SystemUI.apk file off of your phone. You can find it in system/app/SystemUI.apk. You'll want to email it to yourself and get it on your computer. I used 7z to unzip the file. Once in the SystemUI.apk file, you'll click res>drawable-xhdpi and find the stat_sys_data_connected_4g.png file. Basically, you'll edit the name of the icon you want to change the standard 4G icon to. In my case, I renamed the stat_sys_data_connected_4glte.png to stat_sys_data_connected_4g.png. Changed the basic 4g.png to 4glte.png. I used Root Explorer to pull the file off and transfer it back onto my device. Once you're finished, you'll just simply copy the SystemUI.apk file back to the place you pulled it from, which would be system/app. Once you overwrite the SystemUI.apk file already on your device, it'll force close continuously until you restart your phone. After restart, you're good to go!

Hope that wasn't too confusing. Now if I could have someone help me fix the 3G/1x issue, I'll be all set! :P

I did the simple file name changes, but this doesn't seem to be working for me. What is the size of your modified SystemUI.apk file? When I modified mine with the simple graphic switch, the size dropped almost a full MB.

Doing the name changes shouldn't affect the size of the file at all. You may have accidentally modified something. Now if you place new images in there then the file size should increase. If it decreases, that means you deleted something. Hopefully, you saved he original so you can replace it.

Doing the name changes shouldn't affect the size of the file at all. You may have accidentally modified something. Now if you place new images in there then the file size should increase. If it decreases' date=' that means you deleted something. Hopefully, you saved he original so you can replace it.[/quote']

Yea. I was using decompile/recompile instructions for an LG phone....whoops. Went back to the original I e-mailed to myself. Ill try again tonight.

Just kinda curious: will this systemui.apk process work with cyanogenmod too? I'm thinking about playing around with it and I'm wondering if I can flash the same file I used with stock to change the icons...

Yes, you can edit icons in aosp ROMs. Same process. They use slightly different naming system, though.

Just kinda curious: will this systemui.apk process work with cyanogenmod too? I'm thinking about playing around with it and I'm wondering if I can flash the same file I used with stock to change the icons...

Not sure. I'd say do a full backup and then give it a try. If it screws up, you got the backup to rely on.

Did some playing around with the SystemUI.apk file and changed the color scheme to the usual blue. I like it better I think. What do you all think about it?

Looks really good! Makes it stand out..

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I still can't get mine to work, I am rooted and am using a root file manager. I changed the file names, did not take anything away or add any additional pngs...I don't know what I could be doing wrong.

I still can't get mine to work, I am rooted and am using a root file manager. I changed the file names, did not take anything away or add any additional pngs...I don't know what I could be doing wrong.

I suggest you use Root Explorer for exporting and importing files. Works really well for me. Now, if you are editing file names, make sure you are editing the ones that dont have the word "fully" in them. The Touchwiz software uses the regular ones. The fully would mean blue, but TW doesn't use the blue icons. So if you want to change the 4G icon to the 4G LTE Verizon one, you'd rename the stat_sys_data_connected_4g_lte.png to stat_sys_data_connected_4g.png. Be sure first to rename the original stat_sys_data_connected_4g.png to something else. I just added a simple r after 4g. After you change the stat_sys_data_connected_4g_lte.png to the regular 4g, you can rename the regular 4g file you added an r to to stat_sys_data_connected_4g_lte.png.

Restart your device, and it should show the new icon, given that you are in an LTE area. Hope it's not too confusing! :P

Owen, I'm a moron, I just looked at my older systemui files that I had edited previously, I wasn't editing the "fully_connected" ones....lol got it now, just have to drive 5 miles to catch some LTE to test it.

Owen, I'm a moron, I just looked at my older systemui files that I had edited previously, I wasn't editing the "fully_connected" ones....lol got it now, just have to drive 5 miles to catch some LTE to test it.

If you're on the gs3 or Note 2, it displays the normal 1x, 3g, and 4g icons. Not the "fully" ones.

Haha, glad I could help!

If you're on the gs3 or Note 2, it displays the normal 1x, 3g, and 4g icons. Not the "fully" ones.

I was just thinking about this after I went to test my phone. The "fully" connected icons are blue, and our phone doesn't use the blue icons.