Network Vision/LTE - Central Iowa Market (Des Moines and surrounding areas)

sweyers

Verizon had LTE first at the fairgrounds last year. I realize that alot of people attend the fair but I'm not sure why that is the rallying point. I would think the tower around the corp store on university would be one of the first to show it off, or maybe jordan creek. Certainly downtown could use LTE relief way before the residential areas. The business people who can't get any data downtown are going to be more likely to switch vs people at home who are most likely using WIFI.

Verizon had LTE first at the fairgrounds last year. I realize that alot of people attend the fair but I'm not sure why that is the rallying point. I would think the tower around the corp store on university would be one of the first to show it off, or maybe jordan creek. Certainly downtown could use LTE relief way before the residential areas. The business people who can't get any data downtown are going to be more likely to switch vs people at home who are most likely using WIFI.

yeah that was inadvertently my point, the sales people in the stores are telling people that 4G will be here by the fair, but going off of what has actually happened for things getting upgraded in other markets there is no guarantee that 1) 4G will be covering the fair grounds by the fair and 2) 4G will even be here by then since i haven't seen a single tower start upgrades yet.

the OEMs don't focus on particular areas or populations or anything. They are upgrading every tower so they do them as they are ready (backhaul, permits, etc) not by any particular order.

Please excuse me but I cant seem to find this OT information:

I want to know the location of the towers in des moines, but I hear mention of being a supporting member and having access to other info. If I can get the location of a tower I can check to see if there are any t1/t3 ckts there and maybe see if they are putting new orders in. Can someone point me to a link about becoming a supporter?

Please excuse me but I cant seem to find this OT information:

I want to know the location of the towers in des moines, but I hear mention of being a supporting member and having access to other info. If I can get the location of a tower I can check to see if there are any t1/t3 ckts there and maybe see if they are putting new orders in. Can someone point me to a link about becoming a supporter?

no problem, info on becoming a sponsor is located here. once you are a sponsor you will have access to the maps with the locations of all the towers. the iowa one is located here. any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated!!! :)

• Like 1

whats that you say? you want to see a picture of a trailer full of equipment being delivered to towers today? OK fine, since you asked nicely i'll show you one

IMAG0297.jpg

thats right, there is actually something tangible happening finally! The guy i talked to that was delivering said he had equipment for 7 towers they were delivering today. He also said that, according to what he was told, workers are scheduled to start installing it on the 22nd!!!! 

and to think, i almost didn't go out tower hunting today! :D

• Like 3

whats that you say? you want to see a picture of a trailer full of equipment being delivered to towers today? OK fine, since you asked nicely i'll show you one

IMAG0297.jpg

thats right, there is actually something tangible happening finally! The guy i talked to that was delivering said he had equipment for 7 towers they were delivering today. He also said that, according to what he was told, workers are scheduled to start installing it on the 22nd!!!! 

and to think, i almost didn't go out tower hunting today! :D

This is FANTASTIC news! Will definitely start to keep my eyes peeled as to where this stuff ends up!
  • Like 1

This is FANTASTIC news! Will definitely start to keep my eyes peeled as to where this stuff ends up!

the tower that i found them at was by the VA Hospital next to douglas.

the tower that i found them at was by the VA Hospital next to douglas.

Saw that in your sponsors forum post. Was referring to the "7 other towers" you mentioned. This is especially exciting since it seems a lot of the backhand work has been done already. Hopefully this means when they get the equipment in place thay can flip the switch right to LTE! Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems like the opposite of East Iowa since they are almost completely done with 3G acceptances (hardware) but have no 4G yet.

Saw that in your sponsors forum post. Was referring to the "7 other towers" you mentioned. This is especially exciting since it seems a lot of the backhand work has been done already. Hopefully this means when they get the equipment in place thay can flip the switch right to LTE! Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems like the opposite of East Iowa since they are almost completely done with 3G acceptances (hardware) but have no 4G yet.

yep, just wanted to get it out here in the non sponsor area where i found them at so people could keep an eye out. it was hard to understand the guy but he made it sound like the other ones he was hitting today were near that tower. and yes, from everything i've seen everything else is ready to go, just waiting on equipment and installers. the only thing that would keep LTE from broadcasting at each tower as its completed would be something with the core not being done yet.

there might be a slight delay between seeing "4G" accepted here on S4GRU and picking up a live signal, like there was in NE, but otherwise we should be good.

based on the posts in the east iowa thread i would say the hold up there is backhaul, that and about 50% of the market is GMO sites so they will be lower priority for getting backhaul and LTE turned on.

The Sprint tower near Wynnsong is across the Interstate next to the Urbandale Little League fields.  That monopole tower behind the clinic next to Wynnsong is not a Sprint tower.

• Like 1

i've verified new base cabinets at 4 towers so far. 

1) the one by the VA hospital i initially ran into the guys at

2) there is one on the very north side of johnston near camp dodge, saw them delivering here as well

3) the tower by hickman and MLK

4) tower near the interstate by lower beaver.

over the weekend i was in ankeny and checked out them but didn't see any equipment delivered there. drove by a few other towers but wasn't able to see where the equipment was to tell if any had been delivered there or not. hopefully what the guy told me holds up and when i go out next week i see workers installing the equipment :)

YOU GUYS A while ago I signed up to get an email when LTE was going to be in the Des Moines Area ! And I JUST got that email from Sprint saying that LTE in going to be installed and there might be some disturbance ! But that soon we'll be able to use many new features !

Got it as well and first post!

Sent: Monday, July 15, 2013 1:04:53 PM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
Subject: Sprint is making your network better

Coming soon to your area: a better, faster, more reliable network.           

We're building an all-new network in your area to enhance your 3G service and enable new 4G LTE service. While our construction may cause some service disruptions, you'll soon be able to take advantage of a better, faster, more reliable wireless network.

How accurate is the tower location map on Sprint's website?  The tower in the Western Gateway Park downtown looks like it's located at approximately 15th & Walnut (on top of the Crane Co. building?).  I'd love to try and get some pictures since I live & work within blocks, but having trouble figuring out if this is truly the correct tower location.

If it is on top of the building it might be tough since there aren't many public buildings in the area with a proper vantage point.  Might get lucky from the Nationwide parking garage.  If my hunch is correct, would it be possible the hardware is housed inside the building?

How accurate is the tower location map on Sprint's website?  The tower in the Western Gateway Park downtown looks like it's located at approximately 15th & Walnut (on top of the Crane Co. building?).  I'd love to try and get some pictures since I live & work within blocks, but having trouble figuring out if this is truly the correct tower location.

If it is on top of the building it might be tough since there aren't many public buildings in the area with a proper vantage point.  Might get lucky from the Nationwide parking garage.  If my hunch is correct, would it be possible the hardware is housed inside the building?

The Network.Sprint.com map does show the accurate locations of Sprint sites, however, it doesn't show them all!

It should be on the roof, though it may be in an enclosure. Every site is different, so it's hard to say.

In our Sponsors section we have maps of all Sprint sites across the country, as well as maps showing which sites have been upgraded to NV 3G, LTE and 800 SMR. 

I see this is your first post! Welcome to S4GRU!

The Network.Sprint.com map does show the accurate locations of Sprint sites, however, it doesn't show them all!

It should be on the roof, though it may be in an enclosure. Every site is different, so it's hard to say.

In our Sponsors section we have maps of all Sprint sites across the country, as well as maps showing which sites have been upgraded to NV 3G, LTE and 800 SMR. 

I see this is your first post! Welcome to S4GRU!

Great, thanks!  I just donated. 

• Like 2

Do you guys have any idea when we will be getting a small signal of LTE on our phones ?

We don't have access to any sort of schedule, but based upon the reports of work going on in the area, it's likely going to be a couple weeks to a month before they are set for testing. Of course, sometimes the installs go much faster than that. Likely by late August, if not before.

• Like 1

Do you guys have any idea when we will be getting a small signal of LTE on our phones ?

no one knows for sure. but like Dkoellerwx said best guess would be end of august. lots of towers have permits pulled and backhaul in place already, just waiting on equipment and workers. and as i've posted in this thread the first signs of equipment being delivered started last friday (7/12) and according to them workers are supposed to start 7/22. so could be a week after that, could be a month, but its starting so it won't be much longer :)

• Like 1