Network Vision/LTE - Central Iowa Market (Des Moines and surrounding areas)

sweyers

Yeah I just got back from the fair, and I'm just happy they had the Sprint booth there!  I don't think it was there in my 2010 visit.  The rep there told me by the end of the year, but he says that the work they're doing at MLK and Hickman/2nd and Euclid is just outage work (yeah, right...).  They seemed to be busy enough, fortunately.  DAMN U.S. CELLULITE for having so much exposure...no signs of AT&T or T-Mobile anywhere, but did see an iWireless booth just past the Gate 10 entrance.

so if you go to sprint.com/lte there are only two towers showing on the map now. I am led to believe they are removing towers after completion because there were a lot more towers on the map before. If that is the case I would think we will be seeing LTE anytime now.

Occasionally, when they are doing work on that site, it only shows NV Upgrades instead of NV Upgrades + Legacy updates. 

Right now it appears to be only showing NV Upgrades. At some point, it'll likely go back to showing Legacy updates as well, and then all the other sites will pop back up.

• Like 1

Sweet!  Thanks for the updated info!  I was in Fort Dodge today, and it urks me that AT&T, iWireless, Verizon and U.S. Cellular all have 4G (GSM HSPA+, not LTE), but Sprint has only 1xRTT!!!  I don't know why Sprint is taking so long!  I'd love them to update the towers along I-35 as well!!!  Even 3G would be a vast improvement!

Sweet!  Thanks for the updated info!  I was in Fort Dodge today, and it urks me that AT&T, iWireless, Verizon and U.S. Cellular all have 4G (GSM HSPA+, not LTE), but Sprint has only 1xRTT!!!  I don't know why Sprint is taking so long!  I'd love them to update the towers along I-35 as well!!!  Even 3G would be a vast improvement!

Having some native coverage anywhere in the northwest quadrant of the state other than Ft. Dodge and Spirit Lake would be nice as well.. Sprint wouldn't have any coverage at all in Ft. Dodge and much of Nebraska if it weren't for iPCS putting it in. After Sprint bought them out less than four years ago, they were probably already planning Network Vision and figured they'd upgrade the area (including the north stretch of I-35) all in one go rather than sending out crews to put in 3G and then have them return again only a couple years later.

There's good reason to hope that the area will have far better coverage and quality in the future though. I don't see Masayoshi Son allowing Sprint's network to be outdone by the likes of a T-Mobile subsidiary (iWireless) anywhere going forward. :tu:

I just connected to the same 1x800 signal ID 22439 while in Beavington, IA.

i assume you are using signal check? what is the BID of the tower? the SID (22439) will be the same for all 1x800 connections, its the BID that will be different from tower to tower. BID 2753 is the one i've been connecting to around des moines.

edit: so far the 1x800 signals are broadcasting their exact locations, so if you use the "1X base station geocoding" option of signal check pro and click on the link it will take you to the exact location of the tower you are connected to on a map.

• Like 1

I have a question about the tower map. The tower I use downtown lists an address of West Des Moines. That isn't right. It's also the tower that is totally messed up data wise. Ping was over 1000 ms today after 4PM. Can we get the map corrected to list the right address for the tower? I'd like to know where we are on getting it LTE but the right address is a start...!

If this post s/b moved to the map forum pls let me know.

I have a question about the tower map. The tower I use downtown lists an address of West Des Moines. That isn't right. It's also the tower that is totally messed up data wise. Ping was over 1000 ms today after 4PM. Can we get the map corrected to list the right address for the tower? I'd like to know where we are on getting it LTE but the right address is a start...!

If this post s/b moved to the map forum pls let me know.

can you post in the iowa thread in the sponsor section with the ID of the tower you are talking about so we can take a look at it?

edit: i think i found the tower you are talking about and made a reply in the iowa thread in the sponsors section for you.

Do you mean a new tower as in a brand new site being constructed from the ground up? Or you saw work being done on the tower just south of oralabor off of 2nd ave? If its the case of the later that is a sprint and T-Mobile site. Sprint is the bottom rack there and if they are working in that then that is new today as I just drove by that one yesterday!

take a look at my post that I just did I got some pics that I took they are not the best pics tho 

Nice, I checked for 1x800 and LTE on a few west Des moines locations but nothing yet. I didn't realize I grabbed the wrong ID from the 1x800 tower south of town so if I go that way again I will grab it. Since its right on i35 south of des moines I assume it's the tower you identified a couple pages back.

• Like 1