Network Vision/LTE - Central Iowa Market (Des Moines and surrounding areas)

sweyers

just got back from that tower, the guide wires are still there, no panels up top yet. Also stopped by the one off lower beaver by the interstate and there are now guide wires there, someone was there working, looked like they had just got done putting them up.

Excuse my ignorance but what does a guide wire do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Excuse my ignorance but what does a guide wire do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

its a wire that they run from the top of the tower to the bottom to help them "guide" the panel as they hoist it to the top so that it doesn't blow in the wind or run into the pole or anything like that. so if guide wires are up that means they are ready for panels to be installed up top.

• Like 1

went last night and checked out the accepted tower. it wasn't live yet :( hopefully we follow NE and they go live a few days after being accepted. Good news was i found one other tower with panels installed already and another with fiber freshly run to it :)

Are they replacing all of the antennas at the top ? Yesterday I saw them bringing one down off of the tower at MLK and Hickman. 

they are probably taking down the nextel panels to make room for the new NV panels. That tower is (was) a sprint/nextel co-location. it didn't look like there was any room left up there so i was guessing they would have to remove the nextel panels before they could install the new ones. they will leave the legacy sprint panels up for the time being because they will still be in use for awhile.

What does it mean for a tower to be accepted?

read my signature, that basically covers it. the short of it is accepted means sprint OKed the work and is paying the contractor for whatever part they accepted.

• Like 1

they are up on the tower at MLK and hickman installing the new panels today :) looks like they took down 1 nextel panel in order to install the new NV panel.

IMG_5831CR2.jpg

IMG_5830CR2.jpg

also the tower by lower beaver and the interstate had new panels installed.

IMG_5829CR2.jpg

IMG_5828CR2.jpg

I heard a rumor today that they will not be active until Octobor 1st. As with past 4G Rollouts, sprint has waited until specific dates so that the rollout is synced with other cities. I predict that Octobor 1st will be the date that Sprint has it's next major rollout throughout the nation.

I'm wondering if sprint will setup 4g near the Fair Grounds like verizon did for there rollout. Although I wish the date was closer, It does make me happy to see that activity for these towers has suddenly grown substantually in the past week.

I heard a rumor today that they will not be active until Octobor 1st. As with past 4G Rollouts, sprint has waited until specific dates so that the rollout is synced with other cities. I predict that Octobor 1st will be the date that Sprint has it's next major rollout throughout the nation.

No, Sprint has not waited to allow people to connect to an active sites to "sync with other cities".

Sprint's launch announcements, like the one today, has little meaning in people connecting to active sites. 

Sprint is on a rolling schedule with LTE announcements. Roughly once a month. I expect the next announcement with market launches to come Aug 28 - Sept 4. With the next one being mid October. 

Sprint to does not wait to active LTE to sync with anything. AS SOON AS A SITE IS READY, it goes live. No if ands or buts. With some rare exceptions, once a site is accepted as LTE Complete, it is broadcasting LTE to everyone within range within a week of us getting the acceptance report.

Sprint is on a rolling schedule with LTE announcements. Roughly once a month. I expect the next announcement with market launches to come Aug 28 - Sept 4. With the next one being mid October. 

Sprint to does not wait to active LTE to sync with anything. AS SOON AS A SITE IS READY, it goes live. No if ands or buts. With some rare exceptions, once a site is accepted as LTE Complete, it is broadcasting LTE to everyone within range within a week of us getting the acceptance report.

Ok. I do not know very much about this subject. I just wanted to spread what I heard today. I read the news quite often, so I understand now that I have been reading about the announcments and not the cities going live in sync of each other.

Ok. I do not know very much about this subject. I just wanted to spread what I heard today. I read the news quite often, so I understand now that I have been reading about the announcments and not the cities going live in sync of each other.

no problem :) if they are far enough along in central iowa by October we will be one of the cities "announced". to people who aren't following the rollout or noticed their phone was already connected to 4G that will be big news. To the rest of us we will *hopefully* have been enjoying 4G for several months by then :D

there was 1 4G tower accepted in des moines last week. i checked it the day it showed up here accepted and it wasn't live yet. if it follows other markets it should be live and broadcasting by the end of this week.

In reality, the announcements don't really mean anything. The only thing that happens with the announcements is that Sprint formally recognizes the LTE in that particular market, adds it to the coverage maps, and begins allowing support calls for LTE in that area.

Check out how many places have Sprint LTE that have yet to be announced.

http://sensorly.com/map/4G/US/USA/Sprint/lte_310sprint#q=Iowa

This is due to Sprint's practice of activating each tower as soon as it's done. Why let it sit and wait for the rest of the market, while the legacy network deteriorates, when you could give the people in that area a brand new network? Even if it is just in that spot.

• Like 1

Had a quick stop over in CID yesterday. Got an 800 signal at about -90 to -100 dBm. I'd expect to see some 800 acceptance for the Cedar Rapids area on the report in the next few days. 

Hey, I went to the "Network Vision/LTE Deployment Running List" on S4GRU.com's website. Under the Central Iowa section it says NV Sites Accepted = 2% LTE Sites Accepted = 1% whats the difference between NV and LTE sites ? Can someone please explain to me  :)

Hey, I went to the "Network Vision/LTE Deployment Running List" on S4GRU.com's website. Under the Central Iowa section it says NV Sites Accepted = 2% LTE Sites Accepted = 1% whats the difference between NV and LTE sites ? Can someone please explain to me  :)

NV sites just means that equipment has been installed and accepted, but LTE isn't necessarily running yet. Usually due to the lack of backhaul. There are usually more sites that have equipment installed than are LTE accepted.

• Like 1

I didn't think there were any towers that haven't had back haul done as they started that in February or March.

They started backhaul spring of 2012 in Chicago and Kansas City and still aren't done. I highly doubt that backhaul is all done.

Sent from my HTC ONE