Network Vision/LTE - Central Iowa Market (Des Moines and surrounding areas)

sweyers

I'm getting between 20-25 mb down in the downtown area by the library...this has never ever been close. I'm using an iPhone 6. Speeds dropped for a while in the afternoon to around 3-4 mb so they might be testing or maybe congestion? Either way...WAY better than the last 7 yrs!

I'm getting between 20-25 mb down in the downtown area by the library...this has never ever been close. I'm using an iPhone 6. Speeds dropped for a while in the afternoon to around 3-4 mb so they might be testing or maybe congestion? Either way...WAY better than the last 7 yrs!

welcome to B41 being installed ;)

i just confirmed last night that 1 of the 3 "downtown" towers is live with B41. 1 of others has it installed but not live yet and the 3rd hasn't been installed. not sure if they are planning on installing it on that one or not.

there are about 10 to 15 towers around the metro that got B41 installed in the past couple months, a little over half of them are live already.

• Like 2

Hello!

Sprint is online this year at the Fair! 

I was there last night and service felt rougher than last year. Texts wouldn't send and data was out. I'm wondering if it was connected yet or just overcrowded b/c it was the 1st day. Either was I'm EXTREMELY satisfied with the work going on to convert to B41.

So speeds are crazy slow again on our b41 tower. Is this testing related maybe or should I put in a ticket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which tower?

How long has the tower been running?

Has it been reported as accepted yet?

Are you trying from pure line of sight or through obstructions?

Are there neighboring towers being updated such that there are experiments with optimization maybe happening?

If there is nothing broke you're just wasting resources better spent on something other than spinning wheels.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Whoops! It's one of the three b41 towers. The one closest to the library. I'm not sure if it's accepted yet or just testing. Speeds were better today about 4 to 5 mb down. And I think they are probably working on the other two towers. Texts are having issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So my downtown tower is back to B26. :( Bring back B41!!!!!

I experienced the same thing in my home town (Janesville WI) they activated B41 on 4 local towers, two fairly strong, two very very weak -110 or worse regardless of position from the panels it would drop band 41 less than two blocks from the tower.  then suddenly they deactivated two of the 4, and "turned up the power" on the remaining two.  I think it was testing and i hope they get the final tower in town upgraded soon, so they can turn it all back on and optimize. (supposed to happen by October :banana:  )  side note band 25/26 are very weak from the towers that had band 41 shut down on them. 

I'm still getting junk data speeds all over the metro and I'm starting to wonder if it's my G2. Trying to do anything requiring data is a struggle.

This was in the Hyvee Gas parking lot on SE 14th

2663756376b92a52d8aac39d91162800.jpg

This was in the parking lot of Orielly's in Altoona

951eb91381615bc3211a3ba66613c224.jpg

This was is the lot of QT at Euclid and 235. B41 and 23mbps down. If only that, or hell even half of that, was available all over DSM I'd be happy.

cf8e1019ab1f5b28c1c0d4b4b24ce638.jpg

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

what you are seeing seems pretty normal to me..... B26 is overloaded everywhere i go, B25 is hit or miss depending on signal, and of course wherever there is B41 is great. I just hit some towers over lunch and doing speedtests on B25 near the towers was 25+ meg down on every one of them. move away to a worse signal and speeds dropped to 10 meg or less. just the nature of the beast apparently.

just to add some more evidence on how much signal affects speeds. from the tower i connect to at work i'm currently on B25 sitting at a -105 signal, -16 RSRQ, and .8 SNR and i ran a speedtest and got 3.18 meg down. earlier i when i was out and about i was closer to the tower and had a -87 signa, -7 RSRQ, and around a 20 SNR and got 27 meg down. i've repeated this test enough to know the difference in speeds is all due to signal stats and not due to tower load.

just to add some more evidence on how much signal affects speeds. from the tower i connect to at work i'm currently on B25 sitting at a -105 signal, -16 RSRQ, and .8 SNR and i ran a speedtest and got 3.18 meg down. earlier i when i was out and about i was closer to the tower and had a -87 signa, -7 RSRQ, and around a 20 SNR and got 27 meg down. i've repeated this test enough to know the difference in speeds is all due to signal stats and not due to tower load.

.8 SNR is pretty bad. Surprised you got the speed you did.

what you are seeing seems pretty normal to me..... B26 is overloaded everywhere i go, B25 is hit or miss depending on signal, and of course wherever there is B41 is great. I just hit some towers over lunch and doing speedtests on B25 near the towers was 25+ meg down on every one of them. move away to a worse signal and speeds dropped to 10 meg or less. just the nature of the beast apparently.

I'm not putting up with this beast much longer. My contract is done in November. I'll evaluate it then, but I have little confidence anything will change. Paying nearly $170/month for 2 lines (with device insurance) and not being to reliably use data driven apps is nonsense. I've been with Sprint for 10+ yrs and it's always "soon" when it comes to the network.

I'm not putting up with this beast much longer. My contract is done in November. I'll evaluate it then, but I have little confidence anything will change. Paying nearly $170/month for 2 lines (with device insurance) and not being to reliably use data driven apps is nonsense. I've been with Sprint for 10+ yrs and it's always "soon" when it comes to the network.

You very well could have a device issue too. I don't know what areas you frequent but I'm usually on the north and east sides of the metro and while speeds are never blazing fast in rarely in a situation where apps and data doesn't work or works so poorly that I notice it.

As long as it's working though, does it really matter?

Sent from my LG G4

Nope! And I wasn't arguing a point or anything I was just saying the .8 with a 3 meg down test may not have been accurate as the SNR was closer to 2 once it finished so that would explain the higher speed from the SNR I posted

Been a very long time since posted, and nice to finally see Band 41 getting deployed here in Des Moines.  Anything going on in Johnston/Urbandale?  I work in Johnston (live in Urbandale) across from Camp Dodge, and even with the tower not even half a mile east of my work, I have been on a lot of 3G lately.  Updated my PRL several times, and ran ##78726# several times as well.

HTC M8 Harman Kardon Edition is my primary device.  Does the M8 have spotty RF signal life the LTE and the M7?  I used my Aquos for a few days after buying it on launch day and got amazing reception.

Perhaps I should reactivate it and try it again.

Edited by Cloud121

Been a very long time since posted, and nice to finally see Band 41 getting deployed here in Des Moines.  Anything going on in Johnston/Urbandale?  I work in Johnston (live in Urbandale) across from Camp Dodge, and even with the tower not even half a mile east of my work, I have been on a lot of 3G lately.  Updated my PRL several times, and ran ##78726# several times as well.

HTC M8 Harman Kardon Edition is my primary device.  Does the M8 have spotty RF signal life the LTE and the M7?  I used my Aquos for a few days after buying it on launch day and got amazing reception.

Perhaps I should reactivate it and try it again.

each of those cities has 1 B41 tower. unless the building you work in is killer on signal i'm surprised you are on 3G a lot. I drive down 70th in front of camp dodge on my commute everyday and i have strong B41 the entire way from the tower thats up the road there. so while inside you may not get B41 you should have B25/B26 being so close to the tower. i know the M9 has issues but i haven't really heard of the M8 having any significant RF/LTE issues.

building construction materials can be killer to signal, at my work the building has metal sides and a metal roof, i get a good -95 db B25 signal out in the parking lot but up in my office i barely get a B26 signal, if it wasn't for my wilson sleek cradle i wouldn't have any LTE in my office :(

• 3 weeks later...