Network Vision/LTE - Central Iowa Market (Des Moines and surrounding areas)

sweyers

Last I knew west des Moines, downtown, and south des Moines still need accepted on the new equipment before they can get 4G, which will happen any day now. I did track down 1 LTE tower today so far. Info posted in the sponsor thread in my Sig.

Just as i thought...speed of lte is lame...cant get past 6 megs and have been getting one meg or less for a lil while now. Does that mean backhaul is bad? I dont want this to be one of those things were they advertise lte but its the speed of t mobile hespa

Edited by infragilis

Speeds will improve as more and more towers come online with LTE. When only a few are online they are handling more connections then they would be if all the nearby towers were online too. And remember the max the airlink can handle is 37mbps. And that is shared between everyone actively using data on that sector. Also 6-8meg down is what sprint is shooting for as averages. Once band 41 gets installed then you can strut around your epenis with speeds of 74mbps down (which was seen in California)

• Like 2

Just as i thought...speed of lte is lame...cant get past 6 megs and have been getting one meg or less for a lil while now. Does that mean backhaul is bad? I dont want this to be one of those things were they advertise lte but its the speed of t mobile hespa

It is just been turned on, it isn't announced yet and the speed is lame? Please.

• Like 1

Just a recap of my trip in to work from Indianola to just west of Saylorville this morning. I started my trip on 1x800 and did not drop it all the way to work. I am trying to sort through all the screenshots I have to trace back what sites I was able to connect to on this trip. As far as LTE, I pick it up on the south side of DSM in about the same place as normal (Park and SE 14th). I tend to drop it in the same place as well (Between 235 and University on SE14th) So it still looks like the south side has remained the same with the recent advancements for now. The last two days I am now able to pick LTE back up around the Grandview campus ( E. Sheridan and SE 14th) and did not drop the signal at all the entire rest of the way in to work. To me any progress is progress....

Edited by nmwust
  • Like 2

Guest mbrinson

post-18144-0-16580900-1387140590_thumb.png Received a LTE signal as I was at the corner of East Dixon and Guthrie Ave on the east side of Des Moines this afternoon.

post-18144-0-43882700-1387140660_thumb.png Received a LTE Signal as I was over near East Euclid and East 14th.

post-18144-0-56247900-1387140748_thumb.png This is the last one I received a LTE signal as I was headed North on I 35 near Ankeny!

Hopefully this is useful information!

-Mike

• Like 1

This is weird, now I get this. I don't think there is a tower on my street

You are connected to a legacy site in that screenshot. Sprint Legacy sites in Nebraska and Iowa broadcast their location as a sector offset from an actual site, not the actual location. So you are correct, there is not a tower there. There is one to the Southeast of that address that you can see in the sponsor thread. The spreadsheet and map have the BID that you are connected to in your screenshot confirming what site it is.

Why would I connect to that tower when there are two other towers closer to me?

There are numerous factors one of them is what digiblur alluded to. My phone regularly bounces off 3 different towers at home.

I've been to the spread sheet and didn't see a legacy tower close to me.

I should've clarified that a bit better. Legacy in this equipment means it is still running on the old equipment not the new NV equipment. Any site marked as "in progress" on the spreadsheet is still a legacy site, we've just observed some or all of the new equipment has been installed there.

So on the spreadsheet, click the link to open the Central Iowa Spreadsheet in a new window. On most browsers hitting "Ctrl F" will bring up a find window. Type 1251 in the window and your browser should take you to the site in the spreadsheet. Clicking the Site ID on the first column will pull up the site location on google maps.

I am in Chicagoland right now, and with the 4G LTE towers we have come across, me and my partner's HTC One phones are only showing one bar with 4G, but when we go to make a call, it goes to full bars, but when we end the call, it goes back down to one.  Does anyone else's HTC device do this?  The sites in Des Moines and the ones I came across in Davenport do it as well.  

I am in Chicagoland right now, and with the 4G LTE towers we have come across, me and my partner's HTC One phones are only showing one bar with 4G, but when we go to make a call, it goes to full bars, but when we end the call, it goes back down to one. Does anyone else's HTC device do this? The sites in Des Moines and the ones I came across in Davenport do it as well.

Different phones display different types of "bars." Your phone is always showing the data signal, and the once you initiate a call, it's showing your voice signal strength. My iPhone does the same thing that your htc does with bar display.