Network Vision/LTE - Central Iowa Market (Des Moines and surrounding areas)

sweyers

i have been looking at this forum for months now and decided to join. I must say though, I can see 4g LTE not roll out for months and months, because they cannot compete in IA with the other carriers due the type of spectrum VZW and US CELL own...i hope i am wrong and they decide to spend millions on getting things done in des moines as opposed to other states and cities.

i am excited about the 3G upgrades though, i can finally receive and send MMS from downtown while at work.  I wonder if ATT will beat Sprint to the punch on LTE in Des Moines.

Anyone know some real facts about how long it will take for LTE to be rolled out on a big scale? Not asking about turning on 7 towers in opposite sides of town, but actually being able to have LTE without dead spots in a 7-10 mile radius.

Edited by infragilis

i have been looking at this forum for months now and decided to join. I must say though, I can see 4g LTE not roll out for months and months, because they cannot compete in IA with the other carriers due the type of spectrum VZW and US CELL own...i hope i am wrong and they decide to spend millions on getting things done in des moines as opposed to other states and cities.

i am excited about the 3G upgrades though, i can finally receive and send MMS from downtown while at work.  I wonder if ATT will beat Sprint to the punch on LTE in Des Moines.

Anyone know some real facts about how long it will take for LTE to be rolled out on a big scale? Not asking about turning on 7 towers in opposite sides of town, but actually being able to have LTE without dead spots in a 7-10 mile radius.

Nope we don't know exact on schedule, just guestimates from the way other places have rolled out and from some bits of info that some members have gotten from Const Crews and other people in the know. 

Quad Cities has pretty good rollout now and so do many other places. Sprint has been on track within a week or so of schedule rolling out the 3G upgrades. We are hoping if all is in place that some towers will be switched over pretty quick to 4G either at the same time or shortly after.

They are certainly spending millions and millions on their network and what that means is anywhere they have towers - which is here.  The bonus of what they are doing at Sprint is ripping out all the old and putting in all new.  That kind of thing doesn't happen over night.  Other carriers are not necessarily doing that rip and replace to their system - guess you can have your own opinion on what is best over the long haul.

Sprint does have a lot of bandwidth in most places but of course just like all carriers they can't stand still and have to keep looking for more and ways to optimize.  Here in the Des Moines metro it seems likely that not only are we getting the first couple bands to use for service but will eventually get the 2.5/2.6 Ghz spectrum which will also help - tremendously !!!

There are plenty of things to read in the site but if you want to take further steps consider becoming a sponsor and having access to even more.

Just got 4g lte at my area...1st time. Im around merle hay and hickman...seems to fade after urbandale ave and merle hay...getting 6-11 meg down and .5- 1 upload speed. Sooo much better than 3g. Hahaha, so exciting. I have it at my house. Signal is holdong for a few hours now.

Edited by infragilis

Oh. My. God. I have been waiting YEARS for this, on my way out from working out at the Waukee Y, I saw LTE, this was the result  :o

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/675276912

This has been a 400kbps max area for as long as I can remember.

Went over to Jordan Creek area though and still the same old Friday night 100kbps. Please Sprint, hurry and get this EVERYWHERE. 

post-1298-0-94375100-1386988202_thumb.png

• Like 1

If you are getting a new LTE connection in the Des Moines metropolitan area we'd be interested in a screenshot of your LTE engineering screen. Instructions on how to get to said screen depending on the device manufacturer can be found here. http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2198-network-visionlte-new-orleans-market/page-38?p=90231&do=findComment&comment=90231

• Like 1

Just confirming the Ankeny cluster, drove back to DSM from Ames earlier tonight and had consitent LTE all the way from just north of 1st St. exit on 35 until University Ave. exit on 235! I know because (I shouldn't have been doing this, but I'm so desperate/frustrated/excited/idk with Sprint's network in DSM) I was doing constant speed tests while I was driving South along 35/235, and,  I had at least 3-4 Mbps at every given point. Can't wait to have this across the entire metro, it was SO NICE to be able to stream Spotify without buffering, even if it was only for fifteen minutes or so!

• Like 2

On my data modem, picked up weak LTE last night (about 1.5-2.5 speeds). This AM played with my Ant. pointing a bit and improved it to upto 4 Mpbs down, 2.5 Mpgs up (still somewhat weak signals). Picked up 2 Hex Cell ID's on the router... 7a04101 (probably Van Meter) and 7a05001 (guessing Waukee?)  I don't know how useful those numbers are, but LTE is SO much better!  Get this going on Band 26, and Life will be Grand!

• Like 1