Network Vision/LTE - Central Iowa Market (Des Moines and surrounding areas)

sweyers

I almost did, but at the particular moment I thought of doing so, it had reverted to 3G.  Plus, my left arm was immobilized.  :) 

welcome! did you happen to get a screen shot of signalcheck connected to 4G? i ask because i want to see if its the tower that is already 4G accepted or a new tower. if it was a weak intermittent signal it was probably the one that was already accepted, but if it was a stronger signal they could have been testing a new tower.

the serving cell ID of the current live tower is 07A04C0X (where X=0, 1, or 2 depending on what sector you are on). 

• Like 1

They are working on the antenna panels in the far West end of the loop as of about 30 mins ago. I would guess they take the existing site offline to do that per FCC radiation limits and rules. I full expect there are going to be outages around as they do work - which in many ways is EXCITING! (also frustrating too!)  I got past the live LTE site earlier today for the first time here in Dsm, waay cool !!  Never seen LTE yet on my phone till today.

• Like 1

Hear, hear.  This progress is way overdue.  The friendly cajoling I get from a friend of mine about his speedy and long-available 4G with Big Red is getting old.

I am so frustrated with having had a Sprint 4G-capable phone for THREE YEARS with no 4G service in Iowa.  Of course the first two years of that was a Wimax phone, not that it ever did me any good.  I love paying the "4G premium data" surcharge, too, though they eventually changed the wording on that to "smartphone" premium data or some such instead of ostensibly identifying 4G as the reason for the charge.  Charge everyone with a smartphone!  No 4g in your area?  Too bad!  Non-4G smartphone?  Too bad!

I happened to look at my phone at the end of the day and noticed a 4g icon displaying. I looked at signalcheck pro and it says I was connected to lte. I work at the a couple of blocks from the state capital building downtown.  For the serving cell it lists 07A04C00 

UCF 1912.5 Mhz  DCF 1992.5 Mhz . I am not sure what that means. It still shows  BSL 1521 Harriet St. Des Moines Bid:977

I did a speed test and got 7.3 mb (7306 kbps) download & 2.1 mb 2145 kbps) upload.

I got home and did a speed test and things are better. 551 kbps download (normally around 148 kbps) and 178 kbps upload (normally around 76 kbps).

Hopefully the tower by my house (bid 1682) bsl 219 e. kenyon ave. des moines will be updated soon.

I am so frustrated with having had a Sprint 4G-capable phone for THREE YEARS with no 4G service in Iowa.  Of course the first two years of that was a Wimax phone, not that it ever did me any good.  I love paying the "4G premium data" surcharge, too, though they eventually changed the wording on that to "smartphone" premium data or some such instead of ostensibly identifying 4G as the reason for the charge.  Charge everyone with a smartphone!  No 4g in your area?  Too bad!  Non-4G smartphone?  Too bad!

You are a brand new member.  We welcome you, and you get some leeway.  But do not go down the path of complaining about the premium data fee.  We already had to close one thread today because that off topic discussion went awry.

The bottom line is that you chose to use a smartphone on Sprint, and the fee goes along with that.  When you have come to the big city, Kansas City, over the past three years, you have been free to use widespread WiMAX and/or LTE.  So, you do have 4G access, just not yet in Des Moines.

AJ

• Like 1

My bad; I didn't mean to spill my drink on the carpet by complaining about the fee.  Sounds like that horse has been well beaten.

I was in Kansas City three weeks ago.  At least they muster up some 4g coverage in the SPRINT CENTER.  :P

I was in Kansas City three weeks ago.  At least they muster up some 4g coverage in the SPRINT CENTER.  :P

Sprint Center does have LTE coverage, and it reportedly had a microcell or DAS installed a few weeks ago.  If you had no LTE inside Sprint Center, your EVO LTE is likely part of the problem.  Whether due to design or firmware, its LTE performance is not up to par.

AJ

I had 4G at the Sprint Center.  I was just sarcastically acknowledging their effort to ensure that the venue with their name on the door was covered with the preferred service level.

I had 4G at the Sprint Center.  I was just sarcastically acknowledging their effort to ensure that the venue with their name on the door was covered with the preferred service level.

That does not seem to be Sprint's modus operandi with Network Vision.  In order to get the entire network renovated as quickly as possible, cities and venues do not get preferential treatment.

AJ

That does not seem to be Sprint's modus operandi with Network Vision.  In order to get the entire network renovated as quickly as possible, cities and venues do not get preferential treatment.

AJ

Example: Kansas Speedway (also sponsored by Sprint). Just got LTE this past week.

Also, I spotted the DAS (or whatnot) system at the Sprint Center on the sites map. Seems anything in the group 98X is not a traditional macro tower.

Seems anything in the group 98X is not a traditional macro tower.

Could be, but I am not sure about that correlation.  The Legends site is in the "98X" group.  It is still 3G only, and unless I am sorely mistaken, it is water tower mounted.  I would still call that a traditional macro site.  Moreover, other water tower sites are outside the "98X" group.

AJ

Could be, but I am not sure about that correlation. The Legends site is in the "98X" group. It is still 3G only, and unless I am sorely mistaken, it is water tower mounted. I would still call that a traditional macro site. Moreover, other water tower sites are outside the "98X" group.

AJ

That's the DAS for the Sporting KC complex (98X group). The water tower that serves the Legends is 54X.

The two new DAS systems in the STL area also of the 98X group. It was just a trend I noticed. I have no idea if it's actually true.

Oh. Liberty memorial DAS is 98X too. Just remembered, ha.

Wait. What thread are we in? Iowa? Oops.

AJ

Again, I was making fun of Sprint and their laggard upgrade deployment pace.  Can you imagine how ridiculously lame it would be if, after what I presume is hundreds of thousands or more dollars spent on securing the naming rights to the Sprint Center located in their headquarters metro area, they didn't put their best effort into the network capabilities serving the facility?  Surely it behooves them to make sure that area is well served.

I have generally been satisfied with Sprint; I'm a 14-year customer.  I just feel like everyone from Verizon to T-Mobile to Bob's Mobile Phone & Yard Service is offering 4G around here before Sprint is. 

That's the DAS for the Sporting KC complex (98X group). The water tower that serves the Legends is 54X.

The two new DAS systems in the STL area also of the 98X group. It was just a trend I noticed. I have no idea if it's actually true.

Oh. Liberty memorial DAS is 98X too. Just remembered, ha.

Wait. What thread are we in? Iowa? Oops.

Yea..  This is the Iowa group, we count up here too so respect our group! :) :) Thanks for muddying things up though with some extra additional in depth talk. I don't understand it all but that maybe because info on that is up another level or two from where I am right now in the group.  I saw a piece somewhere on the DAS system in think in SF that AT&T put in for some stadium or big sporting place they have named after them - pretty cool technology. Actually a bunch of WiFi deployed in there too besides. No matter the carrier I think data offloading is hugely important, not just for the networks but people's plans as folks want to use more data.

Tman,  I'm sure many folks on here completely agree but we've had to move on, that path was a long time ago. All the carriers make mistakes and various blunders fairly often, some make bigger ones than others at diff times. However I think Sprint is doing some pretty awesome technology now and will be laying in some great foundation to build the proverbial building on top of. Others have great big buildings but their foundations are not quite as sturdy.  imho

• Like 1

Yea..  This is the Iowa group, we count up here too so respect our group! :) :) Thanks for muddying things up though with some extra additional in depth talk. I don't understand it all but that maybe because info on that is up another level or two from where I am right now in the group.  I saw a piece somewhere on the DAS system in think in SF that AT&T put in for some stadium or big sporting place they have named after them - pretty cool technology. Actually a bunch of WiFi deployed in there too besides. No matter the carrier I think data offloading is hugely important, not just for the networks but people's plans as folks want to use more data.

The numbers (ie 98X) are part of the site ID that you see when you click on the site pins on the NV maps that Sponsors like you get to see :tu:

Tman,  I'm sure many folks on here completely agree but we've had to move on, that path was a long time ago. All the carriers make mistakes and various blunders fairly often, some make bigger ones than others at diff times. However I think Sprint is doing some pretty awesome technology now and will be laying in some great foundation to build the proverbial building on top of. Others have great big buildings but their foundations are not quite as sturdy.  imho

That's cool.  I'm content to contemplate the notion they're late because they're doing it better.  To firm foundations, indeed.

so if we are now 11 percent what other towers are accepted ? Have they accepted the one at 2415 Martin Luther King Jr Pkwy ?

this is the last time i will say this, i've mentioned this to you many times before, that info is found in the sponsors section, we can't give out info from the sponsors area, so if you want to know then become a sponsor. if you aren't going to become a sponsor then stop asking.

• Like 1

I have valid reasons for not becoming a sponsor so if you want to know ask Robert. 

thats fine, i don't really care, but that doesn't mean you can continue and ask for info that can only be obtained from the sponsor area.

• Like 1

I have valid reasons for not becoming a sponsor so if you want to know ask Robert.

You do not have valid reasons. Since you want to discuss this publicly, then fine. You were banned from our Facebook page after multiple warnings for repeated violations of our posting guidelines. You were stuck in whine and complain mode and could not stop yourself from posting rants and Sprint complaints despite our requests to stop and our suggestions for you to find other venues to complain.

It appears now you want our info, but you don't want to give the site money because you're upset about being banned from our Facebook page. Despite the fact I allowed you to keep your S4GRU account, and did not ban it. You are welcome to donate and become a Sponsor. However, you're not welcome to request Sponsor content from other members.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Wow....no need for drama lol.

I just wanted to announce my loser moment.  I just upgraded to the HTC One, and I drove over to the 4G tower at Hartford & SE 14th and spent an hour downloading my apps and such.  Used about 1 GB of data doing that alone!  CanNOT wait for it to spread across DSM (airport and Woodland Heights neighborhood, please!)

That is all.

You do not have valid reasons. Since you want to discuss this publicly, then fine. You were banned from our Facebook page after multiple warnings for repeated violations of our posting guidelines. You were stuck in whine and complain mode and could not stop yourself from posting rants and Sprint complaints despite our requests to stop and our suggestions for you to find other venues to complain.

It appears now you want our info, but you don't want to give the site money because you're upset about being banned from our Facebook page. Despite the fact I allowed you to keep your S4GRU account, and did not ban it. You are welcome to donate and become a Sponsor. However, you're not welcome to request Sponsor content from other members.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

You just got shut down  :rolleyes:

I actually think Robert is being extremely tolerant by not banning you completely in this scenario. Many forums I have visited permanently ban people for very small reasons, or for no reason at all. Moderator doesn't like the way you said something in a post? Banned. I have found that these are usually the ones riddled with advertisements as well which S4GRU proudly can state that they do not have. Be grateful that Robert is obviously not that type of moderator, and S4GRU is not that type of site  :).

• Like 3