Network Vision/LTE - Central Iowa Market (Des Moines and surrounding areas)

sweyers

They started backhaul spring of 2012 in Chicago and Kansas City and still aren't done. I highly doubt that backhaul is all done.

Sent from my HTC ONE

From being over in Chicago a couple Months ago the signal was not good at all in the City. From reading things on here and other places sound like there is lots of work to do over there and sounds like a total mess. I'm hoping with fewer towers we will be better off when they start throwing switches.  Although Chgo was supposed to be something wonderful with WiMax and I frankly thought it was never good at all over there. You could walk three blocks and connect/disconnect several times right outside in the open with signal up and down a lot.

From being over in Chicago a couple Months ago the signal was not good at all in the City. From reading things on here and other places sound like there is lots of work to do over there and sounds like a total mess. I'm hoping with fewer towers we will be better off when they start throwing switches.  Although Chgo was supposed to be something wonderful with WiMax and I frankly thought it was never good at all over there. You could walk three blocks and connect/disconnect several times right outside in the open with signal up and down a lot.

I don't have much experience with the City of Chicago, but the northern suburbs (Lake County) has phenomenal LTE coverage and when I had a Wimax phone that also got pretty good coverage. I'd imagine this is because the City of Chicago is still being worked on where as many suburbs are 100% complete.

I don't have much experience with the City of Chicago, but the northern suburbs (Lake County) has phenomenal LTE coverage and when I had a Wimax phone that also got pretty good coverage. I'd imagine this is because the City of Chicago is still being worked on where as many suburbs are 100% complete.

I read somewhere there were lots of permit issues and construction delays with backhaul. I could see all of that. For one digging and const in Chicago is bad. Secondly there are lots of ways to get things done but if you don't know someone or are connected things can take way longer. I totally could believe they are having const delays!  I think that will be way smoother around here.

Hey, I went to the "Network Vision/LTE Deployment Running List" on S4GRU.com's website. Under the Central Iowa section it says NV Sites Accepted = 2% LTE Sites Accepted = 1% whats the difference between NV and LTE sites ? Can someone please explain to me  :)

there are 2 sites up near spirit lake that have been 3G accepted, so they have the new NV equipment installed but 4G (LTE) hasn't been accepted yet. then there has been 1 tower in des moines that has been 4G accepted. so you have 3 towers with NV equipment installed that have had something accepted (thats the 2%) but only 1 tower with LTE accepted (and thats the 1%). read my sig for some info about what accepted means :)

• Like 1

Okay, I drove up MLK and over to 2nd Ave. up to Ankeny and no 4G yet :-(.  Got my Dunkin' Donuts fix, though!!!

lol! at least you got your fix in! :) there must be something on the back end they are still working on before they can light LTE up. so while it sucks waiting on that it is nice to know that the installers are still out there going strong, so when they can light it up there will be a lot of towers that go live :)

so at 5:40AM this morning as my alarm on my phone starts going off my alert for 1x800 (from signalcheck pro ;)) starts going off as well!!!!!!!

2013-08-06_05-41-30.png

it kept switching back and forth between 1900 and 800 about every 10 seconds. also picked it up a few times on my way into work. I have no idea where the tower is that i connected to as i don't recognize the BID, but i'm also assuming that the BID for 800 would be different than 1900 from the same tower? anyway, based on where i picked it up and the signal strength i had i'm guessing the tower is somewhere on the south west side of the des moines area.

• Like 1

I'm kidding, the horseman is from the internet.

:lol:  and that folks is what happens when you get up at 5:40AM, totally forgot you posted that last night. well played, well played  :tu: