SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

I don't even know where to post this but you guys would know what's up. I'm in Upstate SC with a LG Volt flashed to Sprint and SignalCheck Pro says LTE B41 and i don't think we even have band 41 around here and the engineering screen says band 25 with no activity and band 26 when the data connection is doing something.

The "sticky" B41 only happens if you connect to a Clearwire B41 site (PLMN 311490 or 311870), even if it's just for a moment. If you're definitely not, there could be a software issue with your device -- more likely a bug than anything actually broken.

Try going to About > Send Diagnostics and send me a report next time you see the issue. Be sure to include your username and a brief description so I know what the report is for. It should help me pinpoint the issue.

Also, a device reboot is not necessary if anything gets "stuck" -- resetting your mobile connection or exiting/restarting the app will do the trick.

-Mike

Hey, has anyone tested Signal Check on a demo Galaxy Note 4 Yet? I want to know if the GCI fields will show in Signal Check. Yes, it would most likely be a deal breaker for me. None of the stores here have demos. 

• Like 1

Hey, has anyone tested Signal Check on a demo Galaxy Note 4 Yet? I want to know if the GCI fields will show in Signal Check. Yes, it would most likely be a deal breaker for me. None of the stores here have demos. 

Can you download apps on demos?  I've never tried.

Mike,

When you export an SCP log, and load the csv file into Excel, certain dates do not load right:  Specifically, any date between the 1st and the 9th of a month loads, for example, as " 1-Oct-2014  . . ", with a leading space in front of the day.  For the 10th-31st, the format is "10-Oct-2014  . . ".  Excel does not like the leading space.

It is easy to fix by renaming the file as a .txt, converting the spaces into zeros, renaming back to .csv, and then importing.  But I'm lazy, and would rather you fixed it.  Not that you're busy or anything.

Thanks for listening.

Oh, and I reported some time back that my GS5 would "freeze" on a GPS lat/long for up to 30 minutes, rendering the observations taken during the "freeze" essentially useless.  The problem is still there, but it seems that you can work around it by turning on Google maps after you start SCP, and the coordinates get recorded correctly.

Happy programming!!! :idea:

When you export an SCP log, and load the csv file into Excel, certain dates do not load right:

Did you select the Excel timestamp option under Preferences > Logger Settings?

Oh, and I reported some time back that my GS5 would "freeze" on a GPS lat/long for up to 30 minutes, rendering the observations taken during the "freeze" essentially useless. The problem is still there, but it seems that you can work around it by turning on Google maps after you start SCP, and the coordinates get recorded correctly.

Ugh the current version still does this? Thought I had that fixed.. I will take another look at it.

-Mike

With it being about a week since the discussion of band 41 GCI. I was wandering if you decided how you where going to do it yet. I know your busy so I don't expect an update soon. I was just wandering if you needed help building a market GCI ID list. Or if your going to try if(gci & 0x10000) then it's band 41 because it is odd.

With it being about a week since the discussion of band 41 GCI. I was wandering if you decided how you where going to do it yet.

I've actually been working on it quite a bit.. it looks like the odd/even route is reliable. I also may have fixed the "sticky" PLMN issue but I'm not positive about that. An update will be out for the beta crew this week with some good stuff in it!

-Mike

• Like 6

I've actually been working on it quite a bit.. it looks like the odd/even route is reliable. I also may have fixed the "sticky" PLMN issue but I'm not positive about that. An update will be out for the beta crew this week with some good stuff in it!

-Mike

Need any more beta testers? I'm using SCP on a Kyocera Torque and Kyocera Vibe (lots of SCP issues on the Vibe, BTW)
  • Like 1

Need any more beta testers? I'm using SCP on a Kyocera Torque and Kyocera Vibe (lots of SCP issues on the Vibe, BTW)

I thought I already had you on my list? I don't need any more but I'd like to extend an invitation to you anyway. Will send you a PM.

-Mike

• Like 1

I saw your diagnostic report -- it looked to be working, no?

-Mike

The app opens. The LTE chime works when connecting to LTE. But no data populates in the LTE section. WiFi does populates, though.

I don't know if BBos is just not providing info to the Android session running, or if the data is just not lining up.

uploadfromtaptalk1412549146027.jpg

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

The app opens. The LTE chime works when connecting to LTE. But no data populates in the LTE section. WiFi does populates, though.

I don't know if BBos is just not providing info to the Android session running, or if the data is just not lining up.

Ahh, I just looked at your report closer.. I see the LTE signal strength and cell information is completely missing. If you can get the beta version installed on there, keep an eye on the "C1" value on the diagnostic screen and see if that ever fluctuates with your signal. If so, I might be able to get a little bit of information working. But it does look like BBos isn't fully reporting signal data to the app.

How does it work when you are not connected to LTE? 

-Mike

Ahh, I just looked at your report closer.. I see the LTE signal strength and cell information is completely missing. If you can get the beta version installed on there, keep an eye on the "C1" value on the diagnostic screen and see if that ever fluctuates with your signal. If so, I might be able to get a little bit of information working. But it does look like BBos isn't fully reporting signal data to the app.

How does it work when you are not connected to LTE?

-Mike

Any chance you can email me the Beta APK so I can side load it?

Here is a screenshot on HSPA+. It doesn't change it from 1XRTT, but does accurately report the signal strength. See below.

by3ateha.jpg

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

• Like 1

I found my first 8T8R site today in the Cleveland market. The odd 3rd character in the GCI and HEX 1450 works so far; I'll let you know otherwise.

• Like 2

Is there anyway to view the site logs?

You can't view them directly in the app (yet), but you have two options:

1) Go to Logs > Export Log, that will export the entire log as a comma-separated text file. It will be saved in a folder named SignalCheck in your default storage location -- typically the SD card or other accessible folder on your device. The filename is the date/time of the export, so you can export as often as you like and old CSVs will not be erased. Exporting a log does not clear it.

2) You can access the raw sqlite database at /data/data/com.blueline.SignalCheck/databases/signalcheck_log.db. Most devices require root permissions to access this folder.

I'm working on adding additional export options, import options, and viewing the data from within the app, but I can't say when any of that will be ready. I'm a slow learner ;)

-Mike

• Like 2

I'm a slow learner ;)

-Mike

A slow learner? Look what you have accomplished in the last 2 1/2 years! This app has become the go to for site spotting and reporting. I don't think anyone else can say they've been this successful in the practical app category.

• Like 9

A slow learner? Look what you have accomplished in the last 2 1/2 years! This app has become the go to for site spotting and reporting. I don't think anyone else can say they've been this successful in the practical app category.

Aww, well I am totally humbled by that... I don't really know what to say... thanks Josh :)

I'm always amazed when I see the stats. This past week it was installed by the 50,000th different user, and it's still installed on over 21,000 devices right now. I know it's a miniscule slice of the Android pie, but that is still unfathomable to me. I am flattered that so many others find my work to be useful. It makes all the effort worthwhile! Thank you to every single one of you :)

-Mike

• Like 22

Totally agree with you, I switched over to a Windows Phone and couldn't deal with the thought of not having SignalCheck on my device!  So here I am back on Android once again  :)

We are lucky to have Mike developing on Android, he is an exclusive  :P

• Like 8

Totally agree with you, I switched over to a Windows Phone and couldn't deal with the thought of not having SignalCheck on my device! So here I am back on Android once again :)

We are lucky to have Mike developing on Android, he is an exclusive :P

Man you guys are sweethearts this week, can someone please convince my wife that I'm this valuable? ;)

It's not directly related to all of your sucking up, but it's certainly not hurting either.. but a huge update is almost ready for testing. Pretty cool stuff.. some stubborn things are finally getting crossed off the to-do list. I think the "sticky" PLMN is resolved once and for all, 8T8R identification is working, neighbor cell display is slick, you can hide unavailable/disconnected connection types, and there are now log fields for strongest signal and its location. It still needs some finishing touches and testing on my end before it goes anywhere, but most of the work is done.

I am still trying to figure out why Android L hates SignalCheck.. there won't be a fix in this update, but it's the next thing in the pipeline.

-Mike

• Like 12

Android L hates a lot of things. It sucks a new OS update forces developers to "fix" their apps. Regardless, I'm excited for the fix for L and for the update you describe.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk