SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Hmm.. I'm guessing this bug is isolated to HTC phones, because the app has more than one method to grab the GCI on those devices, and I think you are both on an HTC based on your profiles. If you could make some site notes on various sites (if it lets you) and then send me the database file or a .CSV export of it, it might help me troubleshoot it a little quicker.

-Mike

I sent 3 diagnostic reports. The first one was while experiencing a sticky LTE note.

I tried to grab two back-to-back diagnostic reports a little bit later while I was on the same tower. I hope it worked. The first of this series was while the note was stuck and the second was immediately after I shut down the app and restarted it.

If I encounter a LTE site that I haven't put a note on yet, I can attempt to add a note, but after I enter the data it appears as if it never happened. When I restart the app, the note I entered appears.

I loaded 1900+ sectors into the LTE sites table.  Look ups seem to be quick, I don't think I would notice a difference with an index on the GCI.  You can't really tell of course since you don't know when it changes from site to site down to the split second anyways.

• Like 3

There is no delay before entries are added to the log; if the Site Logger is enabled, entries are added/updated as they are connected to, and there is some error checking (to prevent bogus interim values like SID 0 from appearing in the log). Same with site notes, as soon as you hit "Save", it is written to the database. If it happens again, send me the database file or CSV export of it, and I will take a look at it to see what might be happening.

-Mike

Here is a 6 month old screenshot showing that site hooked to 1x800. https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ebikuvipozkt21/Screenshot_2013-09-13-18-12-50.png everything looks legit but there is no 800 at this tower. The bid matches the 1x1900 bid for this tower. My house just sits in a places with bad signal and on the edge of 1x800 and 1x1900.

The csv file might be pretty big by sunday I am already up to 360+ cdma towers and I still need to go back in nyc then to Boston.

You asked for the data export. The "test" entries were added for your test. Even though it the entry is in the csv, it never showed up in the app when entered.

I sent 3 diagnostic reports. The first one was while experiencing a sticky LTE note.

I tried to grab two back-to-back diagnostic reports a little bit later while I was on the same tower. I hope it worked. The first of this series was while the note was stuck and the second was immediately after I shut down the app and restarted it.

If I encounter a LTE site that I haven't put a note on yet, I can attempt to add a note, but after I enter the data it appears as if it never happened. When I restart the app, the note I entered appears.

I got all of the information each of you sent, thanks. It looks like the app is properly saving notes you are entering, but for some reason the display is not updating beyond the first time the app opens up. I'm almost positive this is related to some of my HTC-specific routines, I just haven't been able to figure out the problem. Going to try spending a few more hours on it this afternoon, I will keep you updated.

-Mike

• Like 2

Mike, b41 error in notification pull down...  Tower is b25... I'm Also beta

Which version was this on -- the beta update (4.241) I pushed out yesterday afternoon? I received your diagnostic report as well; the 311490 in your screenshot and on the report typically indicates band 41, unless I'm missing something else? The issue I see is that the main screen does not show B41 and the pulldown does; they should both match, so something weird is going on there.

New feature request... Sound/vibrate option on a LTE site that has no note.

Someone else had mentioned that too.. I will throw it on the list. B26 and B41 alerts are coming eventually too, but I want identification of those bands to be a bit more stable first.

-Mike

• Like 1

Here is a 6 month old screenshot showing that site hooked to 1x800. https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ebikuvipozkt21/Screenshot_2013-09-13-18-12-50.png everything looks legit but there is no 800 at this tower. The bid matches the 1x1900 bid for this tower. My house just sits in a places with bad signal and on the edge of 1x800 and 1x1900.

The csv file might be pretty big by sunday I am already up to 360+ cdma towers and I still need to go back in nyc then to Boston.

SID 22427 indicates a Sprint 800 base station in the Pittsburgh/Altoona/Wheeling area; either the site is misconfigured, or you are mistaken. When you look at the 1X Engineering screen, it does show band class 10 when you are connected to that site?

-Mike

Which version was this on -- the beta update (4.241) I pushed out yesterday afternoon? I received your diagnostic report as well; the 311490 in your screenshot and on the report typically indicates band 41, unless I'm missing something else? The issue I see is that the main screen does not show B41 and the pulldown does; they should both match, so something weird is going on there.

Someone else had mentioned that too.. I will throw it on the list. B26 and B41 alerts are coming eventually too, but I want identification of those bands to be a bit more stable first.

-Mike

I believe it was first beta yesterday.... It's not b41 in our market, this is b41 in our market in Columbus. 5ahyveja.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I believe it was first beta yesterday.... It's not b41 in our market, this is b41 in our market in columbus

Now I'm even more confused; that screenshot showed no LTE provider at all. The PLMN (numbers after the provider) is the only way the app can identify the Sprint LTE band.

Are you saying that PLMN 311490 indicates Sprint band 25 in your area? This would be the first I've heard of that.. until now, I have understood that 311490 either indicates Virgin Mobile or Sprint B41. The latest version of SignalCheck can recognize the differences between the two.

-Mike

SID 22427 indicates a Sprint 800 base station in the Pittsburgh/Altoona/Wheeling area; either the site is misconfigured, or you are mistaken. When you look at the 1X Engineering screen, it does show band class 10 when you are connected to that site?

-Mike

I have seen it in engineering show band 10 but it is only for half a second while it's bouncing around trying to get a stable connection. That is why I asked if you delayed for a connection to stablize before you add a new entry. While I was on sponsor prl 513 my phone wouldn't connect to 1x800 with direct line of sight for that tower. I haven't seen them upgrade that tower yet but I will look again. I don't have a good enough camera to take pictures of it. I am currently on stock prl when it showed it in the log.

I have seen it in engineering show band 10 but it is only for half a second while it's bouncing around trying to get a stable connection. That is why I asked if you delayed for a connection to stablize before you add a new entry. While I was on sponsor prl 513 my phone wouldn't connect to 1x800 with direct line of sight for that tower. I haven't seen them upgrade that tower yet but I will look again. I don't have a good enough camera to take pictures of it. I am currently on stock prl when it showed it in the log.

If you only see BC10 on the Engineering screen for a moment, it's probably not actually connecting, just scanning that band.

You won't be able to tell if the site is broadcasting 800 or not by looking at it. The hardware is already there.

-Mike

I'm running a Nexus 5 and I'm not getting any Band 41 identifications, even while I'm connected to a known Band 41 site. Am I missing something? 

It's a known issue.. I broke it in 4.24. You'll see B41 in the notification pulldown if it's active, but not on the main app screen. It's one of numerous fixes I have been working on over the past couple of days. Keep an eye on the changelog on the website for updates; I've gotten most of the bugs fixed and in testing already, but there are still a couple more things I need to resolve.

-Mike

• Like 1

It's a known issue.. I broke it in 4.24. You'll see B41 in the notification pulldown if it's active, but not on the main app screen. It's one of numerous fixes I have been working on over the past couple of days. Keep an eye on the changelog on the website for updates; I've gotten most of the bugs fixed and in testing already, but there are still a couple more things I need to resolve.

-Mike

Thanks. I thought I wasn't seeing it on the notification pull down, but I'll pay more attention and report.

Now I'm even more confused; that screenshot showed no LTE provider at all. The PLMN (numbers after the provider) is the only way the app can identify the Sprint LTE band.

Are you saying that PLMN 311490 indicates Sprint band 25 in your area? This would be the first I've heard of that.. until now, I have understood that 311490 either indicates Virgin Mobile or Sprint B41. The latest version of SignalCheck can recognize the differences between the two.

-Mike

If this holds true and he is on Band 25 (1900) showing PLMN 311490 on Sprint, you know what that means...back to square "A" again or there is no concrete PLMN indicating the different LTE connections. ;)

Also Mike, I have been doing some extensive research during my off times regarding PLMNs and Sprint's LTE network if it all holds true I'll shoot you a PM regarding my findings.

If this holds true and he is on Band 25 (1900) showing PLMN 311490 on Sprint, you know what that means...back to square "A" again or there is no concrete PLMN indicating the different LTE connections. ;)

Also Mike, I have been doing some extensive research during my off times regarding PLMNs and Sprint's LTE network if it all holds true I'll shoot you a PM regarding my findings.

Bite your tongue! Nah, I broke something silly, already fixed it for the next version. The app recognizes B41, but I forgot to have the display show that on the main screen.. clearly not very helpful. Thanks for the PM too.

Oops, just got a ton of Band 26, and it showed up in the pull down menu. Seems to be working there.

Band 26 should display correctly in both the pulldown and the main screen. I must have been more awake when I finished that section.

-Mike

• Like 1

Hi Mike an idea.. Instead of trying to focus on specific of b26/b41 notification, how about instead just notify when the provider code changes. (310120) In most cases that is all most would need to have to recognize that the device has changed bands, not need necessarily which specific band.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hi Mike an idea.. Instead of trying to focus on specific of b26/b41 notification, how about instead just notify when the provider code changes. (310120) In most cases that is all most would need to have to recognize that the device has changed bands, not need necessarily which specific band.

Well the PLMN for bands 25 and 26 are identical, so nothing would happen there.. and band 41 uses at least two IDs. So it's probably just easier the way I'm doing it now. :)  The complications arise from the failure of every Android device to report the PLMN in the exact same manner, so I have to use a few methods.. and don't forget, most of us are Sprint users, but the app is used worldwide, so the PLMN is important to the app for other reasons.

How do I get in on this beta?

You talk to the guy in charge.. he's rumored to have two research papers due tomorrow, but spending a lot of time procrastinating! (I hear there aren't any beta crew spots open at the moment but he appreciates your interest.)

-Mike

• Like 3

A quick note to everyone..

The instant popularity of the new "site note" feature in SignalCheck has been awesome, but it has led me to think of something I hadn't considered until now. Please keep the S4GRU rules in mind when posting app screenshots here or elsewhere. Do not share information that is restricted to Sponsors or Premier Sponsors anywhere outside of those secure areas. The rules are very clear in each of those sections. Edit/blur/crop any proprietary information that you might have saved in your site notes before sharing screen shots.

I cannot even imagine how much work Robert has put into this site, not to mention his support of my efforts. He is the founding member of my beta crew, way back in September 2012! I will not tolerate SignalCheck having ANY negative impact on this site whatsoever. It's great to see the new features being used so much, just please remember to respect the rules.

That's all -- thanks for listening and I appreciate everyone's support!

:thx:

-Mike

• Like 7

Evdo only mode isn't working on my n5 0.0. I did try force closing and restarting signalcheck while in evdo mode, no luck. What do you need from me/can I do to help?

Evdo only mode isn't working on my n5 0.0. I did try force closing and restarting signalcheck while in evdo mode, no luck. What do you need from me/can I do to help?

I just tried it on my N5 and it seems to work fine. Weird. It worked fine for at least a minute or so, and then went to No Connection, despite a valid connection. I'll have to do some more troubleshooting.

-Mike

I just tried it on my N5 and it seems to work fine. Weird. It worked fine for at least a minute or so, and then went to No Connection, despite a valid connection. I'll have to do some more troubleshooting.

-Mike

It didn't even work for me at all. Do you think it could be something with the particular tower I'm connected to?