SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Is this the same security permission that Samsung has that keeps SignalCheck from accessing the Galaxy S3's DEBUG screen as well?  

It's not the exact same permission name (one is LG-specific, the other is Samsung-specific), but it has the same effect. This is the same reason that the standard Reset feature does not work in Android 4.2+. SignalCheck includes the required permissions, but when you install the app, the system sees them and strips them out. It's at the system level so I don't think there is anything that can be done, even if you are rooted. It's purposely beyond reach. 

-Mike

It's not the exact same permission name (one is LG-specific, the other is Samsung-specific), but it has the same effect. This is the same reason that the standard Reset feature does not work in Android 4.2+. SignalCheck includes the required permissions, but when you install the app, the system sees them and strips them out. It's at the system level so I don't think there is anything that can be done, even if you are rooted. It's purposely beyond reach. 

-Mike

I wonder if this security feature is what is keeping the 5689#*980# menu limited? Hmm maybe a dev can find it and get a way around it.

I've been working on it for awhile, I want it too! It's done well in my own testing over the past 2 days. The problem with using the PCI is that it not unique across the network.. the range is only 0-503. I promise, with ~39,000 Sprint LTE sites (and many thousand sites for AT&T, Verizon, Tmo, and other providers), they reused a few of them. ;)

PLMN+GCI is the only way the app can uniquely identify a site. It's just a matter of choosing whether or not to have one note for all sectors on site 111222xx, or have separate notes for each sector (11122201, 11122202, 11122203, etc).

-Mike

If it's not too late, I say do both. 

02C31A10 if you want to list them all, or02C31Axx or maybe02C31A* for the typical wildcard or even02C31A??

Will this be something we can import via CSV or will it have to be entered in on the app?

• Like 1

Sorry, I've been out the loop, we've finally got substantial LTE here in Columbus. Anyone ever have their notifications swap places?

Posted Image

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Sorry, I've been out the loop, we've finally got substantial LTE here in Columbus. Anyone ever have their notifications swap places?

Posted Image

You talking about in the status bar? If so yes mine has done it plenty of times.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk 2

That happens all the time.. Android controls the exact order of notification icons. Each icon is assigned a priority, but the system takes various other factors into account when displaying icons. I have not found a way for force any specific order, just the generic low/medium/high priority setting available in the Preferences screen.

-Mike

If it's not too late, I say do both.

It would be very difficult to have more than one option available, because each method requires a different database structure. Perhaps down the road I could reconsider it, but for now it's going to be only one method -- which will be site-level based on the feedback I have received.

Will this be something we can import via CSV or will it have to be entered in on the app?

For now, it would have to manually entered via the app, or you could do some database manipulation on your own (the logs are standard sqlite databases that can be viewed/modified with any third-party sqlite DB app on your phone or desktop). I will add import capabilities eventually, but it won't be in the initial release. I have to learn how to do it first :)

-Mike

It would be very difficult to have more than one option available, because each method requires a different database structure. Perhaps down the road I could reconsider it, but for now it's going to be only one method -- which will be site-level based on the feedback I have received.

For now, it would have to manually entered via the app, or you could do some database manipulation on your own (the logs are standard sqlite databases that can be viewed/modified with any third-party sqlite DB app on your phone or desktop). I will add import capabilities eventually, but it won't be in the initial release. I have to learn how to do it first :)

-Mike

I see the issue you are talking about. Maybe offer an option in the settings. Either way would work for me though.

Any chance you could set the property on SignalCheck to allow it to be moved to an SD card?  This is one of only 14 apps on my tablet that cannot be migrated to the SD card.

Mike, how is it going with the new features, can't wait to try them out.  :P

Getting close.. I'm actually working on some coding right now for the first time all week. Just been ridiculously busy. Exactly how close I get to finishing depends on how late I can stay awake tonight and tomorrow night.. I'm trying to hustle! I am very pleased with how it's turning out, I have a high level of confidence that this will improve the app's functionality and stability for everyone.

Any chance you could set the property on SignalCheck to allow it to be moved to an SD card?  This is one of only 14 apps on my tablet that cannot be migrated to the SD card.

This is disabled because moving SignalCheck to the SD card was causing problems on many devices. The two major issues are the app will fail to auto-start on boot or cause the widget to generate errors or disappear altogether. These devices apparently do not initialize the SD card early enough in the boot process, leading the system to think the app is missing or corrupt. I will make a note to investigate adding an option in a future version for users to override the restriction though.

-Mike

• Like 4

I looked into this further, and realized there were more issues than I initially remembered. It's not "many devices", it's "all devices" that experience these problems. Android does not initialize the SD card early enough in the boot process in order for the auto-start trigger to work. Also, if the card becomes unavailable while the app is running (either physically removed or unmounted, like when making a USB connection to a computer), the widget will disappear until next reboot, the service will be killed off and won't restart, and database corruption could result. It's too many potential headaches for me to allow.. sorry!

On a much more positive note for everyone, I think I finally put the finishing touches on the latest version, 3 months in the making! I just pushed it out to the beta crew, and as long as no issues pop up, this will be the version released to everyone soon. It's (a lot) later than I planned on going to bed, but you guys are worth it.. hopefully my wife lets me sleep in, we both have the day off.  ;)

-Mike

• Like 10

Huh, can't edit previous post.

Galaxy Note 2, digiblurRom, Android 4.3.

No additional customization or mods.

Previous beta worked great

Mike,

Speaking of auto-start, I just upgraded my new LG G2 to Kit-Kat last night and notice that SCP doesn't auto-start (have re-started half a dozen times for various reasons). Not sure if this is a Kit-Kat issue or just my phone.

Looking forward to the new version. Thanks for all the hard work!

I looked into this further, and realized there were more issues than I initially remembered. It's not "many devices", it's "all devices" that experience these problems. Android does not initialize the SD card early enough in the boot process in order for the auto-start trigger to work. Also, if the card becomes unavailable while the app is running (either physically removed or unmounted, like when making a USB connection to a computer), the widget will disappear until next reboot, the service will be killed off and won't restart, and database corruption could result. It's too many potential headaches for me to allow.. sorry!

Mike,

Thanks for looking into it.  It sounds like it would require a built-in delay if the system was just started or something.  That seems odd that Android tries to auto-start apps on the SD card before the SD card is initialized.  Maybe at some time in the future we can get this feature working.  Of course not everyone has an underpowered, cheap, low RAM tablet like mine that requires them to move everything they can to the SD card.

Steve

SCP Beta is FCing on me. Using Sprint Note 2 on digiblurROM MK4. I'm working on a logcat for you now.

Posted Image

Nice update! Always wanted this feature for a long time. Too many site hex codes to remember, especially now.

Great job!

y4e8u2em.jpg

Oh that's perty. Hope this bug is a quick fix and we can all get these new features. 

Thanks for the great work Mike!

I dug into importing my sites into the sqlite DB but it might be a little more difficult than I thought.  I see that database is much more than what I thought it was.  I guess I could dummy up some of those fields but I don't know all the TACs, etc.  Are you just selecting the note based on the select query on the GCI? 

Also a tip, you may think about some indexes on the database based on the queries you are doing.  It would speed up things when that database starts getting very large.  I'm sure there are several DBAs around here that could give you some tips on do's don'ts for indexes.

Works as it should on my Nexus 5...

Crashes on my Note 2 just like the others. Tried clearing everything and reinstalling the app, but nothing seems to work. I'm on a stock/rooted 4.3 build (MK4), not on Digiblur ROM like the others.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 HD.

Works as it should on my Nexus 5...

Crashes on my Note 2 just like the others. Tried clearing everything and reinstalling the app, but nothing seems to work. I'm on a stock/rooted 4.3 build (MK4), not on Digiblur ROM like the others.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 HD.

Turning off LTE allows it to function.  It is something in the LTE interaction that is causing the crash.

I had SCP running and as soon as I reenabled LTE, it crashed

• Like 1

Turning off LTE allows it to function. It is something in the LTE interaction that is causing the crash.

I had SCP running and as soon as I reenabled LTE, it crashed

Wonder if it is something with the site note and that device not doing GCI's.

• Like 1

Wonder if it is something with the site note and that device not doing GCI's.

Ahhhhh that makes sense.

• Like 1