SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

If you are trying to decipher a way to identify sites on the Sponsor maps from SignalCheck data.. there does not seem to be a correlation. In markets where the BSL is offset, there isn't much you can do without figuring it out by driving around the sites. However, you have noticed something about the sectors in that I recently learned myself; when looking at it in hex, the third digit from the right indicates the sector in some Sprint markets (in many/most Sprint markets, it's the right-most digit). I have already implemented new options in the app to select which sector "style" you would like the app to show as a Site Hint.

Someone with some significant research experience in the field also passed along some information about 1X and LTE site IDs correlating with each other; it's proven true on Verizon, but I have not figured out if Sprint does something similar. Given a specific GCI, you can calculate the 1X BID that is on the same sector. Or, given a 1X BID and LTE TAC, you can determine the GCI. Again, this has only been confirmed for Verizon, but maybe there is something similar for Sprint.

While there is no clear-cut "which site is BID 12345" answer yet, I finally have some logging and mapping features working, which will help make it easier to figure this stuff out. I have made a lot of progress on it this week, but it still needs some work.

-Mike

Ok just checking to make sure if I was just failing miserably worse at math then I usually am. Also, would it help if I logged some of these for you and sent them with what I believe is the corresponding site ID? If so I would be glad to get what I can. Glad to hear also I am not the only one trying. Another question, are these updates and/or the site style site hint already on your app or in the works? just want to make sure I am not missing any tools I can utilize that are already under my nose.

Thank you!

Ok just checking to make sure if I was just failing miserably worse at math then I usually am. Also, would it help if I logged some of these for you and sent them with what I believe is the corresponding site ID? If so I would be glad to get what I can. Glad to hear also I am not the only one trying. Another question, are these updates and/or the site style site hint already on your app or in the works? just want to make sure I am not missing any tools I can utilize that are already under my nose.

Thanks for the offer, I already have enough data to use that I gathered myself.. it's figuring out the math--if there even is any--that's the tricky part, as you have discovered!

The updates I mentioned are not in the version of the app available right now, but they will be in the next one. Still trying to iron out some pre-existing crashing issues before I push out another update. I keep the changelog up-to-date online, even with features that aren't in the public version yet.. keep an eye on it to see what's in progress if you're interested: http://www.bluelinepc.com/signalcheck/change-log/

-Mike

• Like 4

Mike ever consider making the status bar font bold or having the option to do it? I have one app that has that option and it makes it a lot easier to read while driving. Its a data transfer speed app not a signal strength one. Not a  big deal really when I think about it, if I am really trying to track down something I open Signal Check and don't just use the status bar readout.

Its like SignalCheck Pro and 1x RTT/800/LTE were made for each other :P

That's because SignalCheck Pro was purposely made for Sprint Network Vision hunting.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Mike ever consider making the status bar font bold or having the option to do it? I have one app that has that option and it makes it a lot easier to read while driving.

The notification icons? They are graphics, not text.. about 300 of them total. I would add more options if it wasn't so time consuming to generate so many individual files. The text on the icons is already at the largest and clearest font that will fit within the space available.

It won't be part of the next update, but in the near future I plan to re-create all of the icons at a higher resolution and add some new ones. That should increase the clarity on newer devices. Also plan to implement a "drive mode" with big fonts as suggested recently.

-Mike

• Like 5

300 icons! Didn't realize they were all Icons, not worth the effort to do bold then.  That probably explains why the other app doesn't change the case of the B/b for BYTES/bits per second.

Mike, I'm noticing the widget is unresponsive after i exit the application.  Is this something built in or am i ust having a random issue?  When I boot it back up, it's fine and works as it's supposed to.

HTC one, latest updates, stock. 

Edit: I removed the shortcut and added it back to the page and now it works, but maybe something to look into?

Mike, I'm noticing the widget is unresponsive after i exit the application. Is this something built in or am i ust having a random issue? When I boot it back up, it's fine and works as it's supposed to.

HTC one, latest updates, stock.

Exit by selecting "Exit" from the menu, or by using the back/home/multitask on your One? Selecting "Exit" will shut down everything the app started, including icons, alerts, and widget updates. Leaving the app by any other method just pushes it into the background.

If it's happening when it goes into the background, something is up. Can you try to make replicate the bug, then go back into the app and hit About SignalCheck > Send Diagnostics? That will send me some info about what's going on behind the scenes. If you have a method to collect logcat output, I will take that too.

-Mike

Is it just me, or is Mike becoming more and more recalcitrant -- like Bill Belichick?

:P

AJ

wish: additional separately configurable alerts for 800 lte and 2600 lte.

Wish: That I had a consistent/reliable/confirmed way to identify 800 LTE and 2600 LTE from within the app.. :)

I'm getting closer, but I'm not completely confident with the methods. I don't want to implement something that only works some of the time, or only on some devices. That will only lead to confusion. Hopefully as the rollout expands, a reliable method will emerge that I can take advantage of.

-Mike

Wish: That I had a consistent/reliable/confirmed way to identify 800 LTE and 2600 LTE from within the app.. :)

I'm getting closer, but I'm not completely confident with the methods. I don't want to implement something that only works some of the time, or only on some devices. That will only lead to confusion. Hopefully as the rollout expands, a reliable method will emerge that I can take advantage of.

-Mike

suggestion: implement the ability to show a note for a site (#7 on checksignal pro to do features request list), then accepted and confirmed band 41 and band 26 sites locations could be displayed for members.  This would especially help tri-band phone users (other than Samsung with no GCI) and would buy you time to find the best method.

for example for GCI 00F0D0 display "Band 41(2600) LTE - Highland Ave, Valley View, OH"

The files could come from the spreadsheets in some fashion, perhaps obscured a bit as above.

Is it just me, or is Mike becoming more and more recalcitrant -- like Bill Belichick?

LOL me?! I'm online Friday night answering questions, my friend.. and I think I'm far more chatty than Coach Belichick. I try cutting most of my posts in half before hitting submit!

I think BB is awesome.. his skills as a coach are amazing (12-4 with no receivers and 7 starters on IR!) and the way he handles the press is priceless. It's all a game to him, and those who think he's serious aren't paying enough attention. The man is a genius.

So.. I will take your shot as a compliment. :)

GO PATS

-Mike

(EDIT: Your comment would have made way more sense if you replied after my 800/2600 LTE post ;))

• Like 1

LOL me?! I'm online Friday night answering questions, my friend..

Oh, I know.  We poke, and we prod.  That is half the fun here...

;)

AJ

• Like 3

suggestion: implement the ability to show a note for a site (#7 on checksignal pro to do features request list), then accepted and confirmed band 41 and band 26 sites locations could be displayed for members.  This would especially help tri-band phone users (other than Samsung with no GCI) and would buy you time to find the best method.

for example for GCI 00F0D0 display "Band 41(2600) LTE - Highland Ave, Valley View, OH"

The files could come from the spreadsheets in some fashion, perhaps obscured a bit as above.

I'm in the early stage of testing user notes right now, and exploring a few different options as far as site data goes. I am looking into methods to import data so at least those who have created their own market sheets can use it on the go. Still very much a work in progress -- I don't want to have to change it after it's released and possibly require everyone to start over with a fresh database in the app.

-Mike

• Like 1

Exit by selecting "Exit" from the menu, or by using the back/home/multitask on your One? Selecting "Exit" will shut down everything the app started, including icons, alerts, and widget updates. Leaving the app by any other method just pushes it into the background.

If it's happening when it goes into the background, something is up. Can you try to make replicate the bug, then go back into the app and hit About SignalCheck > Send Diagnostics? That will send me some info about what's going on behind the scenes. If you have a method to collect logcat output, I will take that too.

-Mike

I have  to hope it happens again.  I would exit via settings in the app, which would make the widget inaccessible.  The app would work again via access from the apps screen and function fine.  As of now though, the issue is fixed as i removed the app from the screen and readded it.

I think BB is awesome.. his skills as a coach are amazing (12-4 with no receivers and 7 starters on IR!) and the way he handles the press is priceless. It's all a game to him, and those who think he's serious aren't paying enough attention. The man is a genius.

So.. I will take your shot as a compliment. :)

GO PATS

-Mike

(EDIT: Your comment would have made way more sense if you replied after my 800/2600 LTE post ;))

Lets hope Bill Belichick brings his amazing coaching skills to Denver Sunday,  I am tired of seeing Manning :td:  on TV!!

• Like 1

I'm going to start a poll.. Who's more recalcitrant:

A) AJ

B) Mike

C) WTF does recalcitrant mean?

-BB

DEFINITELY not A) .
  • Like 1

Well... I can't pick C now, I used Google.

The line from the classic SciFi move War Games comes to mind. "A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?"

:)

• Like 3

Lets hope Bill Belichick brings his amazing coaching skills to Denver Sunday, I am tired of seeing Manning :td: on TV!!

Just remembering when the local media ran Belichick out of town in Cleveland. Said they were wrong then and were they ever.

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

Just remembering when the local media ran Belichick out of town in Cleveland. Said they were wrong then and were they ever.

When he was first hired, a lot of media types around here jumped the gun, said it was a bizarre move, there were better options, blah blah blah.. I was psyched. Same when Terry Francona was hired by the Sox.. media and a lot of my friends were shaking their heads. I thought it was the perfect move. Much rather have a guy who knows his stuff on the field than someone who wears sharp suits and loves talking to the camera. And anyone who has the guts to bail on Bill Parcells after 24 hours on the job -- without any replacement gigs lined up -- has some cojones.

The NJ Jets are the biggest reason the Patriots are where they are today. Promoting and then quickly demoting Belichick probably left a sour taste in his mouth, and had a lot to do with his desire to get out of there. And Mo Lewis destroying Drew Bledsoe in 2001 is the reason that Brady got a chance to play. Thanks guys, xoxo!  :tu:

-Mike

• Like 4

Mike, don't know if this is a known bug or maybe just my phone acting stupid but...when I go into SignalCheck and tap "Exit" the app wants to freeze up on me.  I've tried this 5 times, out of the 5 times I tapped "Exit" it froze up 3 times.