SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

The SignalCheck app is still running and the icons in the task bar still accurately show the signal levels.  Exiting the app and restarting it make no difference.  The SITE INFO (Base ID, Street Address, etc.) stops updating.  Memory isn't an issue as I have learned how the kooky memory management feature of Android works.  That is why I shut the phone off and turn it on when I am going to be taking a drive and monitoring sites without loading any other apps.  And it isn't the app "falling asleep" either as I use the SignalCheck feature to not let the screen go off when the app is in the foreground.

This same phenomenon does exactly the same thing when using CDMA Field Test Drive, another site monitoring app.  That program does do logging and after 10 or 15 minutes of no updates they suddenly begin again.....just like SignalCheck.  Since the LG debug screen doesn't suffer from the lapse in updating, I can only assume it is Android refusing to update the app.

Got it.. from a technical standpoint, that is a plausible scenario.  This is over-simplifying it, but the SID/NID/BID/BSL fields are populated with location commands, while the signal strength data is gathered with radio commands.  SignalCheck forces cell location updates even if the phone doesn't think anything has changed, so LG must be doing something else behind the scenes to block updates of that information for some reason.  Do you have cellular location services enabled in your phone's Settings menu?

-Mike

SignalCheck forces cell location updates even if the phone doesn't think anything has changed, 

-Mike

Yeah, I figured that one out!!  When I run CDMA Field Test Drive and SignalCheck at the same time it drives CDMA Field Test Drive crazy!!  Apparently, SignalCheck forces those updates very often causing CDMA FTD to think an update has occurred and thus putting another entry in the log file.  In a matter of 30 seconds there are LOADS of entries in it's log file while when it is running without SignalCheck also running it only puts an entry in it's log file when like you said the phone thinks something has changed.

But running the apps individually they still exhibit that issue where they just mysteriously stop updating...and then start again!

Do you have cellular location services enabled in your phone's Settings menu?

-Mike

Nope.  But it makes no difference if the phone is set to "use cellular network for location updates" (or some such wording) or if the phone is set to use the works (cell network and GPS).  I tried troubleshooting this issue for weeks and even tried several more cell site tracking programs all with the same result.  Stupid phone!!   :td:

Luckily, I only have 5 more months until I am eligible for an upgrade (hopefully to a 4g phone).

Nope.  But it makes no difference if the phone is set to "use cellular network for location updates" (or some such wording) or if the phone is set to use the works (cell network and GPS).  I tried troubleshooting this issue for weeks and even tried several more cell site tracking programs all with the same result.  Stupid phone!!   :td:

Actually, it probably does make a difference. If you have cellular location services disabled, Android blocks certain functions from running; it's a security measure. Routines that use cellular-based location commands will not work properly in this case. I can't speak for other apps, but I know this directly affects SignalCheck. Whether or not this is the direct cause of your problem, I don't know. But others who have had similar issues cleared it up by enabling cellular location services.

GPS location services are separate -- that setting does not affect SignalCheck right now.

-Mike

Actually, it probably does make a difference. If you have cellular location services disabled, Android blocks certain functions from running; it's a security measure. Routines that use cellular-based location commands will not work properly in this case. I can't speak for other apps, but I know this directly affects SignalCheck. Whether or not this is the direct cause of your problem, I don't know. But others who have had similar issues cleared it up by enabling cellular location services.

GPS location services are separate -- that setting does not affect SignalCheck right now.

-Mike

Hey, I'll try anything!!!  I turned on "network based location" and watched Signalcheck while driving around.  Unfortunately, the same thing happened so on my phone that's not what's causing the app to not update location info.  Maybe it's something screwy on my particular phone model.  Whatever method LG is using to update it's own internal debug screen must bypass Android as it never locks up and always reports site changes in real time.

Hey, I'll try anything!!! I turned on "network based location" and watched Signalcheck while driving around. Unfortunately, the same thing happened so on my phone that's not what's causing the app to not update location info. Maybe it's something screwy on my particular phone model. Whatever method LG is using to update it's own internal debug screen must bypass Android as it never locks up and always reports site changes in real time.

Very strange! Thanks for trying, I really thought that would do the trick. Engineering screens often pull data directly from the radio, they don't usually use standard Android routines.

What Android version are you running? I know it's an older device, but I don't understand why it works and then stops updating.. and that bugs me :)

-Mike

What Android version are you running? I know it's an older device, but I don't understand why it works and then stops updating.. and that bugs me :)

-Mike

It works...then stops updating...and then STARTS UPDATING AGAIN with no user interaction.  It bugs me too.

I don't know which "frozen dessert" it is but it's version 2.3.3  Maybe it's Hot Fudge Sundae with NO cherry!!!   :lol:

It works...then stops updating...and then STARTS UPDATING AGAIN with no user interaction.  It bugs me too.

I don't know which "frozen dessert" it is but it's version 2.3.3  Maybe it's Hot Fudge Sundae with NO cherry!!!   :lol:

Weird.  Aha, Gingerbread.. probably not frozen, but delicious none the less!  There isn't much I can do, as your device simply isn't behaving the way it's supposed to.  I am always tinkering with the code, maybe I will accidentally fix it in a future release without realizing it!  Speaking of future releases...

-Mike

SignalCheck Pro has FINALLY been updated! Version 4.17 is the latest incarnation, and will be available on Google Play within the hour! This update is well overdue, thanks for your patience.. and thanks to my beta testers for their help. There are many changes, here is a summary, roughly sorted by importance:

Added limited recognition of Sprint LTE Band 41 connections.
Until tri-band devices are officially launched, this is largely untested. Early adopters should see "Sprint B41" as the carrier name if connected to LTE 2500/2600. Further expansion of this feature is planned, with alerts/icons/etc.

Changed Preferences menu; options now organized into groups on separate pages. (Pro)
The preferences screen had grown too large, so features are now categorized into sub-menus. Everything is still there, just organized better.

Added optional alert for when LTE connection is lost. (Pro)
When enabled, these alerts will trigger when an LTE connection is dropped.

Added optional alert for when Sprint 1X 800 MHz connection is lost. (Pro)
When enabled, these alerts will trigger when a Sprint 1xRTT 800 MHz connection is dropped.

Changed notification pulldown to display data connection carrier name instead of 1X carrier name, if available. (Pro)
This should clear up confusion while roaming; the main status icon (EV-DO, eHRPD, LTE) pulldown will now display the connected carrier name of that connection. For example, if on Verizon 1X but Sprint LTE, the notifications in the pulldown will now show Verizon on the 1X connection, and Sprint on the LTE connection. Previous version would have shown Verizon on both.

Added option to hide main status bar icon when 1X status bar icon is enabled and active connection is 1X. (Pro)
Basically, instead of seeing two 1X icons, you will only see one.

Added option to set priority of status bar icons/notifications. (Pro)
Icons can now be set low, medium, or high-priority in order to change their position on the status bar and notification pulldown.

Corrected GSM CID field to display integer instead of hex value.
Someone pointed this bug out to me, but I can't remember who.. thanks, whoever you are kalev76!

Added optional secondary GSM status bar icon to display GSM signal strength when connected to LTE. (Pro)
GSM users can now have two icons if connected to LTE, to monitor both connections.

Added option to display “site hint” which may assist some users in determining the ID of the connected 1X site. (Pro)
A few Sprint users will find this useful, but most will not. If you don't know what this is, you don't need it.

Resolved issue with invalid LTE SNR information; LTE SNR will now be hidden if invalid.
Some devices do not report LTE SNR and showed garbage data instead.

Added dBm-only option for CDMA 1X status bar icon. (Pro)

Resolved issue with dBm-only status bar icons disappearing when there is no signal. (Pro)

Resolved issue with invalid/missing signal information on some newer devices.

Resolved issue with “Unknown” carrier display and LTE MCC/MNC 31000.

The free version, SignalCheck Lite, will be published in about a week. Upgrade to Pro if you can't wait, earlier updates is one of the perks! ;)

-Mike

• Like 8

Cant wait for it to show up!  

Meanwhile: this might be a dumb question. I'm on a Evo 4G (wimax) with stock 2.3.3 Android. So my phone's radio is picking up two independent signals (Im avoiding 4G/Wimax for this discussion)... the 1xRTT voice/ 2G signal and an independent 3G/ EVDO signal?  

Second question: what the rule for what signal HTC wishes to display in their built in signal bar., up top, always 2G or always 3G? or show 3G, then falls to to 2G...ehh. I cant figure it out

Meanwhile: this might be a dumb question. I'm on a Evo 4G (wimax) with stock 2.3.3 Android. So my phone's radio is picking up two independent signals (Im avoiding 4G/Wimax for this discussion)... the 1xRTT voice/ 2G signal and an independent 3G/ EVDO signal?

CDMA1X and EV-DO are always separate signals. Your handset and Android version are irrelevant.

Second question: what the rule for what signal HTC wishes to display in their built in signal bar., up top, always 2G or always 3G? or show 3G, then falls to to 2G...ehh. I cant figure it out

Sprint has no "2G." CDMA1X and EV-DO are both "3G," so stock Sprint smartphones display either "3G" or "4G."

AJ

• Like 1

Expanding on what AJ said.. if you're referring to the icon, "3G" is shown when there is a valid 1X, EV-DO, or eHRPD data connection, and "4G" icon is shown when there is an LTE connection. No icon is shown when there is no data connection available. If you're referring to the signal bars, HTC devices show the 1X signal strength no matter what you are connected to.

EDIT: Apparently the signal bars will show your appropriate connection signal strength if you have newer firmware. Older devices/software always show your 1X signal strength.

All of that assumes you are running stock software. There are modifications and ROMs that can customize all of that.

-Mike

If you're referring to the signal bars, HTC devices show the 1X signal strength no matter what you are connected to.

Reportedly, this has changed with the most recent firmware update(s).

AJ

• Like 1

Expanding on what AJ said.. if you're referring to the icon, "3G" is shown when there is a valid 1X, EV-DO, or eHRPD data connection, and "4G" icon is shown when there is an LTE connection. No icon is shown when there is no data connection available. If you're referring to the signal bars, HTC devices show the 1X signal strength no matter what you are connected to.

All of that assumes you are running stock software. There are modifications and ROMs that can customize all of that.

-Mike

I was very surprised when I got my HTC ONE that the signal bar reports evdo or lte signal level. It only reports 1x when you are on a call. I think I am the only person on earth that prefers it only report 1x unless it could display signal bars for every technology.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Thanks guys. Im learning as a go.  So the app only identifies the CDMA1x network if I understand correctly? ..not the EVDO network? or am I still confused?  I think I do understand that those sites are also transmitting EVDO of course, but that info isnt necessarily available in Android. By the way the BSL location is dead on, which is insanely nice.

Else to Mike: on my GSM phone, yes your update fixed the "long CID" issue when on 3G/HSPA connection. I can read it now.  :D

Thanks guys. Im learning as a go.  So the app only identifies the CDMA1x network if I understand correctly? ..not the EVDO network? or am I still confused?  I think I do understand that those sites are also transmitting EVDO of course, but that info isnt necessarily available in Android. By the way the BSL location is dead on, which is insanely nice.

Else to Mike: on my GSM phone, yes your update fixed the "long CID" issue when on 3G/HSPA connection. I can read it now.  :D

The app will show the carrier name and site IDs on 1X and LTE connections; only HTC devices can show the EV-DO/eHRPD carrier name and sector ID. You are correct, Android does not have a standard method to get the EV-DO information.

Thank you, I couldn't remember who brought up the GSM issue! Are you able to confirm that the values are correct, or just that they are about the right length? I found 3 different explanations as to what the "long CID" is, so I'm not sure if I implemented the correct solution or not.

-Mike

Thank you do much. Yes the CID is short and correct. On tmo they like to reuse the cid number from the 2g/gsm network so now you know which physical location you're connected to. Last digit is the sector often 1-3, or 1-6 or 1-9. If six through nine has been added to the site you know you have a 3g connection on the pcs band

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

I am always tinkering with the code, maybe I will accidentally fix it in a future release without realizing it!  Speaking of future releases...

-Mike

Uh-huh.  Downloaded the latest version this morning and then went out for lunch.  The app doesn't stop updating anymore!   :tu:

By the way, any time someone says to me "if you don't know what this is you don't need it" (your app description for "hint") it drives me crazy!!  The "hint" for my local site says 366 (sector 1).  What info from the site are you using to populate this field?

• Like 1

Uh-huh.  Downloaded the latest version this morning and then went out for lunch.  The app doesn't stop updating anymore!   :tu:

By the way, any time someone says to me "if you don't know what this is you don't need it" (your app description for "hint") it drives me crazy!!  The "hint" for my local site says 366 (sector 1).  What info from the site are you using to populate this field?

Haha!! Sometimes I outsmart myself. Glad to hear it works.. this update was a result of 6 weeks of code changes, a lot of which were behind-the-scenes-cleanup that probably fixed several small issues similar to yours.

The "Site Hint" does some math on the BID and displays the result in a format that matches engineering information that a few people have. There was a discussion about it earlier in this thread. If you don't know what it is, you're probably not one of those people.. so you don't need it. :)

-Mike

The "Site Hint" does some math on the BID and displays the result in a format that matches engineering information that a few people have. 

-Mike

Glad you mentioned the BID.  When the NV upgrades began, some of the sites in my area got a new BID-a FIVE DIGIT ONE according to the LG debug screen.  From what I've determined, the first 4 digits are the same for a given tower but the fifth digit changes depending on the sector.

Is this really a new 5-digit BID (that your app and all the others DOESN'T display that 5th digit) or is that fifth digit generated from somewhere else?

Aha, that's the first I heard of that, thanks! Post edited.

-Mike

Yep, at least for the HTC ONE, with the update to 4.3, bars show signal strength now. I suppose that will help keep people from saying "I had full bars of LTE and really poor speed!," though I sometimes find myself wishing it still showed the 1x signal strength.

• Like 2

Yep, at least for the HTC ONE, with the update to 4.3, bars show signal strength now. I suppose that will help keep people from saying "I had full bars of LTE and really poor speed!," though I sometimes find myself wishing it still showed the 1x signal strength.

And the move completely negates the Joe Blow psychological benefit of "more bars" from CDMA1X 800. I do not approve.

AJ

• Like 2

Glad you mentioned the BID.  When the NV upgrades began, some of the sites in my area got a new BID-a FIVE DIGIT ONE according to the LG debug screen.  From what I've determined, the first 4 digits are the same for a given tower but the fifth digit changes depending on the sector.

Is this really a new 5-digit BID (that your app and all the others DOESN'T display that 5th digit) or is that fifth digit generated from somewhere else?

SignalCheck displays the base station ID exactly how the phone reports it -- no editing on my end. Perhaps if you do some kind of decimal/hex conversions on the number you see on the debug screen, it corresponds to what is showing in apps? This is the first I've heard of anything like this. There are no other data points that I am aware of that would represent a sector with a single digit.

-Mike