SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

what i would really like to do is take the bars off and put the DBm's over on the right side of my phone but that would take a new rom -sigh- maybe kitkat will give us that option -crosses fingers-

I doubt you'll see that in a Google/OEM ROM. You can get that in a custom ROM or a customizing tweak.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

yeah i know but it was wishful thinking every CM rom i've used on phones have some how messed up the phone that i couldn't get it back to stock to sell it i try to stay away from cm rom's now due to that otherwise i love them

You can get a GS3 TW ROM that does that.

Hey Mike I have been having some issues. It started when a few sites went live with 800 here a few days ago. I'm on a note 2 running digiblur ROM and prl 511. The app keeps freezing up. It won't let me report either. It also crashes play store at the same time. If I can help by sending you anything just pm me or post here along with any instructions I might need to get you the data you need. Also it stops when I get to work which I'm guessing is out of range if the 800 sites.

I'm baaaaaaack!  B)

Are you still having these issues?  If it's definitely happening in tandem with 800 sites, the only thing app-related I can think of would be 800 alerts.  Have you tried disabling all of them?  How about disabling the 1X geocoding?  Do you notice the BID jumping around like crazy, or does it stay fairly steady?  Does the BSL change rapidly?  When you say it crashes play store, do you mean it says "Google Play Services" crashes?  If you exit the app completely, does Google Play crash at all when you are in those areas?  I know that's a lot of questions, sorry!

-Mike

• Like 1

I'm baaaaaaack! B)

Are you still having these issues? If it's definitely happening in tandem with 800 sites, the only thing app-related I can think of would be 800 alerts. Have you tried disabling all of them? How about disabling the 1X geocoding? Do you notice the BID jumping around like crazy, or does it stay fairly steady? Does the BSL change rapidly? When you say it crashes play store, do you mean it says "Google Play Services" crashes? If you exit the app completely, does Google Play crash at all when you are in those areas? I know that's a lot of questions, sorry!

-Mike

it seems to be OK now? I am on his 513 prl too? Either way its good! Go Red Sox!!

• Like 1

I haven't had time to catch up on the whole thread to see if this has been brought up, but I noticed something odd in the status bar when I'm picking up a signal stronger than -40 dBm:

37 dbm 450.png

Is the #?*! a glitch or is it just a joke? :lol:

Does the app tell you which tower you are connected to?

Like digiblur said.. sort of.  SignalCheck will display lots of data about the site(s) that your device is connected to (perhaps as many as 3 sites at once), but a lot of that data is not terribly useful to the average joe.  Many S4GRU users have compiled awesome lists that match up data displayed in SignalCheck to physical Sprint sites though.

CDMA 1X sites do have the capability to broadcast latitude/longitude coordinate pairs--but not all providers program their sites to broadcast exact locations (see below).  If valid coordinates are being broadcast, SignalCheck Pro displays the location as a street address.  There is no comparable item for EV-DO, LTE, or GSM connections.

Some Sprint sites broadcast coordinates that are offset a short distance from the site, representing the direction a sector is covering.  Most sites have three sectors, so if you were to plot each of these points on a map, they should form a triangle around the physical site location.  Other Sprint sites do broadcast their exact location.  No Verizon Wireless sites broadcast valid coordinates, so Verizon users never see a location.

-Mike

• Like 1

I haven't had time to catch up on the whole thread to see if this has been brought up, but I noticed something odd in the status bar when I'm picking up a signal stronger than -40 dBm:

attachicon.gif37 dbm 450.png

Is the #?*! a glitch or is it just a joke? :lol:

I don't know what you're talking about..  :ninja:

-Mike

• Like 1

it seems to be OK now? I am on his 513 prl too? Either way its good! Go Red Sox!!

Excellent!  Please let me know if it happens again, I hadn't gotten any crash reports like that so hopefully it was a temporary thing.

What a run the Sox are on.. loving it.  I had Game 5 tickets for tomorrow night, but since they already took care of business, those tickets became ALCS Game 1 tickets for Saturday night!  Twice the price, but I don't care.. just keep winning!!  :tu:

-Mike

• Like 1

what i would really like to do is take the bars off and put the DBm's over on the right side of my phone but that would take a new rom -sigh- maybe kitkat will give us that option -crosses fingers- 

I doubt you'll see that in a Google/OEM ROM. You can get that in a custom ROM or a customizing tweak.

Google has been very clear from the beginning that the right side of the taskbar would be off-limits to third-party developers.  I'd love to be able to access that, but it's controlled by the system and I doubt that will ever change.  Like Coz said, it is unlikely to appear in a stock ROM -- it would likely just create confusion for the average user.  If you root your device, there are many options that allow you to play with system icons.

-Mike

Hey Mike, welcome back!

2 quick things. If you're looking for more testers, I'd like to volunteer, I'm in a Samsung Market. Second, I've seen in my market where we're still having cache issues where the wrong site is showing up in the BSL when a site connects to another within seconds. A Reset Connection fixes this, but it's a hassle when driving 70 down the freeway while hunting.

• Like 1

Excellent! Please let me know if it happens again, I hadn't gotten any crash reports like that so hopefully it was a temporary thing.

What a run the Sox are on.. loving it. I had Game 5 tickets for tomorrow night, but since they already took care of business, those tickets became ALCS Game 1 tickets for Saturday night! Twice the price, but I don't care.. just keep winning!! :tu:

-Mike

ah man that's sweet I'd sell a kidney or two for those tickets Fenway is an awesome place to watch baseball best fans ever!!

• Like 1

Welcome back! How was the vacation?

Thanks!  It was incredible.. if anyone is looking for getaway ideas, I strongly recommend Aruba.  It was even better than I anticipated.  Take JetBlue, the flight goes by in no time..

-Mike

• Like 1

ah man that's sweet I'd sell a kidney or two for those tickets Fenway is an awesome place to watch baseball best fans ever!!

I couldn't agree more!  Some people drink, some people gamble, some people invest in fried chicken.. I throw my money away on Sox and Bruins tickets  :D

-Mike

• Like 1

Hey Mike, welcome back!

2 quick things. If you're looking for more testers, I'd like to volunteer, I'm in a Samsung Market. Second, I've seen in my market where we're still having cache issues where the wrong site is showing up in the BSL when a site connects to another within seconds. A Reset Connection fixes this, but it's a hassle when driving 70 down the freeway while hunting.

Thanks!  PM me your e-mail address and I will add you to the beta list.  I was just about to declare the BSL cache problem fully resolved, bah!  If you could provide specifics about how you see it happening (post here, PM, or e-mail, whatever works for you), I will look into it some more.

-Mike

Looks like the party is coming to an end. Alot of people are reporting they aren't getting the credit on the first try anymore. And since you won already I think you are only eligible for one prize. So you have to redeem those other ones under yours friends and family or by other means that I won't talk about here. ;-)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

ok reports of this being dead are wrong. If you buy just 1 specially marked kitkat you have a really great chance of winning a $5 credit for Google Play. When you do more then 1 is when you run into problems. Go buy signal check pro! Found them at walgreens.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 2

Thanks! PM me your e-mail address and I will add you to the beta list. I was just about to declare the BSL cache problem fully resolved, bah! If you could provide specifics about how you see it happening (post here, PM, or e-mail, whatever works for you), I will look into it some more.

-Mike

I'll grab you some screenshots here in a few hours once I'm fully up.

Just want to say hi. My first post in this forum. I'm still so far a gsm guy and scan with cellmapper on Android. At this point I know tmos and att's sites well in my area: Sonoma county in San Francisco bay area .

My question is, is the recommended (used) phone to get to scan with signal check and Sprint, the evo 4g LTE? .. HTC spits out more data that SignalCheck can read?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Just want to say hi. My first post in this forum. I'm still so far a gsm guy and scan with cellmapper on Android. At this point I know tmos and att's sites well in my area: Sonoma county in San Francisco bay area .

My question is, is the recommended (used) phone to get to scan with signal check and Sprint, the evo 4g LTE? .. HTC spits out more data that SignalCheck can read?

Hi, welcome!  SignalCheck does display the most data on HTC devices (the EVO LTE and HTC One) because some internal HTC routines were discovered and are utilized.  I wouldn't choose a smartphone based on what works best with SignalCheck though, there are many other factors you need to consider based on your own personal preferences.  Non-HTC devices display a majority of the same information that HTC devices do, and with each new version of Android, more information is becoming available.

For example, until Android 4.2, SignalCheck could only display the LTE GCI on HTC devices, a useful bit of data.  Now it is starting to work as more carriers and custom ROM developers utilize features in Android 4.2 and 4.3.

We don't see a lot of GSM users on this site and I don't hear from GSM users often, so feel free to let me know if you discover any bugs or have feature suggestions.

-Mike

Thanks for the reply  :)

Yeah. For now Im unable to try it on CDMA, but I hope to pick one to play with. A used phone and an MVNO that lets me bring a Sprint phone.  It works well on my Nexus 4 with stock 4.3. A TMO SIM chip for now

I guess the only issue is that the CID is displayed in a "long form" when the connection is of type HSPA/3G (or should I say UMTS/3G connection?).  When the connection is of type 2G/Edge the CID is displayed correctly.  My understanding is that this is because Android returns RID + CID when its a HSPA connnection. But Im not a developer.  :blink:

So I think it displays something like 46162023 (instead of showing CID: 24673  =-site 2467 sector 3..kind of thing, sort of)

I think this issue is discussed here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7240038/utran-cell-identity-returned-by-getcid

Perhaps useful.

• Like 2

Just want to say hi. My first post in this forum. I'm still so far a gsm guy and scan with cellmapper on Android. At this point I know tmos and att's sites well in my area: Sonoma county in San Francisco bay area .My question is, is the recommended (used) phone to get to scan with signal check and Sprint, the evo 4g LTE? .. HTC spits out more data that SignalCheck can read?Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Also be aware that the evo 4G LTE has been criticized by other members of this forum for having poor LTE radio performance, and for having difficulty connecting to LTE when it enters an LTE-available area.

(And, as an aside, by wierd happenstance, I was in Sonoma yesterday doing a sales demo, and both my GS3 and my hotspot got excellent LTE, and strong connection to 800 SMR (well, the GS3 got strong 800).

• Like 1