SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

22 minutes ago, ingenium said:

You can login to the web version and manually placed them (or move them if someone put it in the wrong place). Definitely worth doing once you're 100% certain of a site's location.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I'm going to get the other sector of the tower verified before I do that, so far I've only logged 2 sides.

• Like 1

You can login to the web version and manually placed them (or move them if someone put it in the wrong place). Definitely worth doing once you're 100% certain of a site's location.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

You can move them in the app as by long pressing on the tower and dragging it to it's new location.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

On 5/28/2020 at 9:55 AM, PedroDaGr8 said:

You can move them in the app as by long pressing on the tower and dragging it to it's new location.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Now that I've verified that the tower location was wrong, I moved it.  The coverage pattern for that tower on cellmapper makes much more sense now.

On 5/30/2020 at 1:10 PM, jporter12 said:

Now that I've verified that the tower location was wrong, I moved it.  The coverage pattern for that tower on cellmapper makes much more sense now.

A quick hint, if your city has an online permit portal: If there are multiple towers in a small area, online permits are a great way to figure out exactly which tower is the for which company. I use that often to cross-check towers I believe are correct.

• 3 months later...

It has been long in beta development, but a new update to SignalCheck Pro is finally ready to roll out! Version 4.621 should be available on Google Play within the next several hours. The main improvements with this release are much improved 5G support and more options for display customization -- users can now choose any colors for the text, background, and action bar elements.

It should be noted that there are 5G icons and alerts, but no 5G logging yet. Dual SIM support is still not ready either.

The full changelog is below, with some details about the changes. Feel free to reply with questions or bugs. Thanks for all of your support, with a special thank you to the Beta Crew for helping with this for several months!

-Mike

Added 5G-NR alerts and 5G standalone status bar icons. (Pro)
Added separate 5G-NR information display block.
Improved depth and reliability of 5G-NR information.

SignalCheck has been able to improve its data display as device support for 5G has improved over the last few months. Full 5G support is now complete; any information your device is reporting should be displayed. 5G NSA (non-standalone) connections typically display less information as of right now. Unsure if that will improve over time. You can easily tell if you are on 5G NSA or SA (standalone) within the app -- if you see 5G and LTE information, it is NSA. If you only see 5G information, it is SA. 5G site logging is not available yet but will be added in a future update.

Added option to display colored accent line on active connections. (Pro)
Overhauled text color options; users can now choose any colors for text, background, action bar title, and action bar background. (Pro)
Reorganized display settings screen. (Pro)

New options have been added to improve the visual elements of the app to the user's liking. The text and background color of the main screen can be set to any color possible. Similar settings exist for the action bar title and background. The new options, and some other similar settings, have been moved to a new "Colors and Styles" menu under Preferences.

Added new system shortcuts for Samsung users. (Pro)
Resolved issue with excessive warning messages when using System Shortcuts on some devices. (Pro)
Resolved issue with outdated notification channel warning. (Pro)
Resolved issue with some Clearwire LTE cells incorrectly labeled B41.
Updated help screen.

General bugfixes, should be self-explanatory.

• Like 6

FYI.. it has been over 24 hours since I submitted the latest SCP app update, but it is still being processed by Google Play. With the pandemic they have been warning of longer processing times; the system does not provide an ETA. I will update this post when it goes live.

Update: It finally went live at 7:20am Eastern on 9/12!

• Like 4

Ok I have come across one potential bug, CA bands often report as 0 MHz as shown in the image below. It is clear the app knows that 3xCA is enabled but it can't seem to find the data. The bands show up in the various system menus, so it is real, just  not in the SignalCheck app. 

Screenshot_20200912-153454_Service mode RIL.jpg

20200913_142925.jpg

• Sad 1

On 9/13/2020 at 2:26 PM, PedroDaGr8 said:

Ok I have come across one potential bug, CA bands often report as 0 MHz as shown in the image below. It is clear the app knows that 3xCA is enabled but it can't seem to find the data. The bands show up in the various system menus, so it is real, just  not in the SignalCheck app. 

Screenshot_20200912-153454_Service mode RIL.jpg

20200913_142925.jpg

Finally saw this while I wasn't driving and could send a diagnostic report.

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2020 at 5:26 PM, PedroDaGr8 said:

I did see your message and diagnostic report from last week.. been looking into it and will be adding some more diagnostics in the background to the next update so I can see more details. Some questions in the meantime:

Did this start with the last app update, or were you seeing it before?

How often do you see it? Any pattern (specific band, with/without 5G, specific location, etc)?

Have you done any recent software/firmware/OS updates on your device at all?

2 hours ago, mikejeep said:

I did see your message and diagnostic report from last week.. been looking into it and will be adding some more diagnostics in the background to the next update so I can see more details. Some questions in the meantime:

Did this start with the last app update, or were you seeing it before?

How often do you see it? Any pattern (specific band, with/without 5G, specific location, etc)?

Have you done any recent software/firmware/OS updates on your device at all?

Unfortunately, this is on a new device (Note 20 Ultra) running Android 10. My old device (LG V30+) was stuck on Android 8, so I never saw that data. It is pretty random and sometimes fleeting. Give me a week or so and I will try to keep an eye for what patterns I can see. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stlman314 said:

Is it SCP capable of telling what band of 5G you are on? 

If your phone is reporting it, yes! Generally works on standalone 5G connections, but not on NSA (5G+LTE anchor). Hoping it improves as more device software updates come out.

EDIT: See some examples in these posts from the Beta Crew thread.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mikejeep said:

If your phone is reporting it, yes! Generally works on standalone 5G connections, but not on NSA (5G+LTE anchor). Hoping it improves as more device software updates come out.

EDIT: See some examples in these posts from the Beta Crew thread.

Thanks Mike. I just read through the forum. My fear is with the LG V60 not reporting n41 or n71 in the NR Engineering screen that SCP won't report it for me. LG is really starting to piss me off.

8 hours ago, stlman314 said:

Thanks Mike. I just read through the forum. My fear is with the LG V60 not reporting n41 or n71 in the NR Engineering screen that SCP won't report it for me. LG is really starting to piss me off.

You never know, sometimes the devices with the best engineering screens report garbage to the OS, and vice versa. I know @S4GRU was testing a V60 with SCP.. Robert, have you seen any 5G band info in SCP? It would likely only be seen with a standalone connection at this point..

4 hours ago, mikejeep said:

You never know, sometimes the devices with the best engineering screens report garbage to the OS, and vice versa. I know @S4GRU was testing a V60 with SCP.. Robert, have you seen any 5G band info in SCP? It would likely only be seen with a standalone connection at this point..

I can see that I'm connected but I haven't came across any 5G standalone to verify. However in the NR Engineering screen I get no information at all. Says unknown. However my wife has the Samsung A71 5G and as far as I know it hasn't had 5G standalone either

On 9/23/2020 at 5:05 PM, mikejeep said:

So far, just signal strength. Even my Engineering Screen does not report any values any longer since the last update. 

Robert

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I have been in contact with OnePlus support in an attempt to improve SignalCheck's 5G reporting. I was ultimately directed to make a forum bug post by their support team. I would appreciate it if I could get users to "Like" or comment on that post in an attempt to get it attention:

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oneplus-devices-not-properly-reporting-5g-nr-cell-info-to-android-api.1312205/

Not sure if it will help, but it certainly can't hurt. Thank you!

• Like 3

I have been in contact with OnePlus support in an attempt to improve SignalCheck's 5G reporting. I was ultimately directed to make a forum bug post by their support team. I would appreciate it if I could get users to "Like" or comment on that post in an attempt to get it attention:
https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oneplus-devices-not-properly-reporting-5g-nr-cell-info-to-android-api.1312205/
Not sure if it will help, but it certainly can't hurt. Thank you!
Will do!
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mike,

SCP has been crashing on my the last few days. I've have been sending crash reports via Google not sure if you get those. Going to try and post screenshot

Screenshot_20201007-175125_Market Feedback Agent.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 10/8/2020 at 5:28 PM, stlman314 said:

SCP has been crashing on my the last few days. I've have been sending crash reports via Google not sure if you get those. Going to try and post screenshot

I do get those Google reports, as well as similar ones from services I have embedded in SCP (as long as the app does not completely self-destruct before it can get sent). Always send the system reports if you are prompted and it's something new, and include email/notes when you can! I often need every angle I can to determine what the actual problem is.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

New versions of SignalCheck Pro and SignalCheck Lite were pushed out late last night and are now live on Google Play! This release has a lot more changes behind the scenes than new features, but there are some improvements. The most significant changes are improved 5G support for Lite, and GCI pattern matching and offset rules for site notes on PLMN ID 312250, which is popping up on Sprint sites that are expected to stay in place.

This release was squeezed in minutes ahead of last night's deadline imposed by Google Play requiring app updates to target Android 10 or newer. Many will remember that I tried to do this last spring, but it caused a lot of headaches and it was rolled back. Hopefully I can produce better results with the next attempt!

• Like 4

On 11/2/2020 at 8:17 AM, mikejeep said:

New versions of SignalCheck Pro and SignalCheck Lite were pushed out late last night and are now live on Google Play! This release has a lot more changes behind the scenes than new features, but there are some improvements. The most significant changes are improved 5G support for Lite, and GCI pattern matching and offset rules for site notes on PLMN ID 312250, which is popping up on Sprint sites that are expected to stay in place.

This release was squeezed in minutes ahead of last night's deadline imposed by Google Play requiring app updates to target Android 10 or newer. Many will remember that I tried to do this last spring, but it caused a lot of headaches and it was rolled back. Hopefully I can produce better results with the next attempt!

I like the change from 0MHz to ? MHz. I think that makes much more sense. 

I've never been able to nail down a pattern, so I'm guessing it's a Samsung issue of some sort. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2020 at 4:23 PM, PedroDaGr8 said:

I like the change from 0MHz to ? MHz. I think that makes much more sense. 

I've never been able to nail down a pattern, so I'm guessing it's a Samsung issue of some sort. 

I see it (although very rarely) on my Pixel 5, and I can't figure out why or when it happens either. It's often combined with a second incorrect/ridiculous value. I am working on improving the validation of those fields so it will show "?" for anything that is invalid. I can't force the data to be accurate, but I can at least hide it when we know it's wrong!

@mikejeep I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before, but on my Pixel 5 SignalCheck Pro would not be running when I check my phone in the morning. It happen multiple times until I changed the setting for battery optimization to "Not optimized" for the app. And that was about 7 days ago.

I have had the Pixel 5 for 17 days now and I had the Pixel 2 before.
And I looked at the Pixel 2 settings and it has battery optimization set to "Optimizing battery use" for the app.

• Like 1