SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

An update to SignalCheck Pro is rolling out shortly and should be available on Google Play within the next several hours! This version includes many bugfixes; the full changelog is below with some details added about the most significant changes. Still working on full dual-SIM support; not sure when that is going to be ready. Thank you for all of your support!

• Added option to choose LTE cell ID display format: GCI, ECI, or hybrid.
    Based on user feedback, there is a new option under Preferences > Display to determine how LTE cell IDs are displayed. The default method is still "GCI", which is the hex ID most users are used to. "ECI" is a decimal version of the hex ID that some users asked for in the past; those who had previously enabled this option with a checkbox will need to re-select their choice. The new "hybrid" option displays the decimal ECI with a hexadecimal sector. This may be useful for AT&T and Verizon users because of the cell ID patterns implemented by those providers. (In my own testing, hex still appears to be the most useful for Sprint users).

• Resolved issue with missing CDMA data on some Android 10+ devices.
    This should resolve issues for Samsung users who recently updated to Android 10.

• Added option to display WCDMA neighbor cell PSC as hex.
    Resolved issue with PSC failing to be logged for WCDMA connections.

The long-standing bugs with non-CDMA site logging should finally be resolved! Also, WCDMA PSC appears to be most useful as a hexadecimal value, so an option has been added under Preferences > Neighbor Cells to display neighbor IDs as hex.

• Moved Neighbor Cells preferences to separate menu.
    Trying to improve the Preferences menu organization; some of the screens are getting very long.

• Other less significant changes:
    • Added additional indicators for AT&T LTE iDAS and small cells.
    • Improved efficiency and stability of internal databases.
    • Minor adjustments to action bar menu icons.
    • Removed outdated references to nTelos.
    • Resolved force closes related to missing resources on some devices.
    • Resolved force closes when accessing Purchase menu with background service disabled.
    • Resolved issue with invalid CDMA Ec/Io values displayed.
    • Resolved issue with LTE band alerts not triggering when band changes.
    • Resolved issue with LTE band alerts triggering for invalid bands.
    • Resolved issue with some AT&T LTE band 66 connections displaying as band 4.
    • Updated Shentel LTE indicators.

• Like 9

On 2/17/2020 at 10:26 PM, mikejeep said:

An update to SignalCheck Pro is rolling out shortly and should be available on Google Play within the next several hours! This

•  
  • Resolved issue with missing CDMA data on some Android 10+ devices.
    This should resolve issues for Samsung users who recently updated to Android 10.

Mike,  Yes, this did resolve the missing CDMA data on my S9.    Thanks.  Great job as usual.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ImmerStark said:

I have bad news to report. After a device restart my previous issue has returned. Signal bars and SCP no longer updating correctly emoji24.pngemoji24.pngemoji24.png

That's no fun. Unfortunately it sounds like something with your device? I don't have any control over the speed at which the OS provides data updates.. the OS tries to balance power usage with the likelihood of changed data being available, and I can't do anything to force it to refresh any faster. Even if I put a manual "refresh" button to re-query the API (as many people have asked for), it would simply show the same data already present. SCP automatically refreshes the screen when the OS reports there is new data.

I got frustrated enough to go to the nuclear option. Full factory reset and did not restore from a backup. SCP is now refreshing every 5 to 10 seconds, not quite the every second I prefer but still much more usable than when it takes several minutes. I wish I could identify specifically what is causing this. I don't think it is intended behavior if it is indeed the result of power management.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, ImmerStark said:

I got frustrated enough to go to the nuclear option. Full factory reset and did not restore from a backup. SCP is now refreshing every 5 to 10 seconds, not quite the every second I prefer but still much more usable than when it takes several minutes. I wish I could identify specifically what is causing this. I don't think it is intended behavior if it is indeed the result of power management.

On recent versions of Android, you are not likely to see it update every second except for in specific scenarios, but I'm glad it's updating regularly for you!

For the benefit of whoever is interested.. signal updates from the OS are likely to be more frequent (but not guaranteed) if your device is moving fairly quickly (ie in a vehicle), and you are actively transferring data over the mobile network. When the connection is idle (including when you are using another connection method, like Wi-Fi), some things are not updated as frequently. Android does not publicly state anything much more specific than that.

In reality, the signal strength is constantly changing, every millisecond, faster than the screen can even update.. but there's no reason for any mobile device to monitor it that intensely, the CPU and power impacts would be crazy. An overwhelming majority of mobile users don't even need it updating even every 10 seconds. As of last year, over 314 million Americans had mobile phones.. with some quick math, SCP is on less than 0.0032% of them 😆

after the most recent update on pro.
the readings are frozen. they dont change.
even after phone switches to diff lte band, the app still shows the previous connected band.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

even after phone switches to diff lte band, the app still shows the previous connected band.

Try a factory reset and do not restore from a backup. Do a fresh install of all your apps. It worked for me.

Try a factory reset and do not restore from a backup. Do a fresh install of all your apps. It worked for me.

im not doing any factory reset for sure..

i was talking about the update for the pro app.

recently there was a major update. the app was fine and then there was a small update few days after which messed it up.

deleted app cache and data and then uninstalled. reinstalled with the same issue

On 2/28/2020 at 10:49 PM, sunmybun said:

I reviewed your diagnostic report, nothing appeared to be out of the ordinary. Are you sure it is frozen, or are there just long delays between data updates? If your device is not moving and the signal is stable, newer versions of Android will not update the signal strength as frequently in order to conserve power usage. The latest app update moved the target API to Android 10, which implements this behavior stronger than previous versions. Do you see the same behavior when you're watching the app while driving in a car?

• Like 1

Apologies for a delayed post, but another update to SignalCheck was released a few days ago, version 4.58. Here are a summary of the changes:

• Changed exported logs to use preferred LTE Cell ID display format. (Pro)
    When exporting log files, the "gci" column will now format the cell ID to match the user's setting under Preferences.

• Updated permissions to require ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION for all functions.
    Android has changed the requirements to obtain signal information from "coarse" access to "fine" access. This mandatory change is beyond the control of third-party developers.

• SignalCheck Lite brought up-to-date.
    The Lite version was old but stable, however an update became a priority when it failed to work properly on Android 10. Pro will continue to receive priority updates, but Lite will remain functional and be maintained as necessary. Long-term goal is to combine the two apps into one, with Pro-level features limited to users who have purchased it.

• Other less-significant, self-explanatory changes:
    • Improved compatibility with accessibility services.
    • Resolved force close when attempting to send diagnostics on some devices.
    • Resolved internal exception when notification sounds are missing. (Pro)
    • Resolved issue with all WCDMA neighbor cells reporting -120 dBm on some devices. (Pro)
    • Resolved issue with missing information when connected to Wi-Fi Calling on some devices.
    • Updated external libraries for root functions. (Pro)
    • Updated target API to Android 10.

As always, thank you for your support!

• Like 2

I reviewed your diagnostic report, nothing appeared to be out of the ordinary. Are you sure it is frozen, or are there just long delays between data updates? If your device is not moving and the signal is stable, newer versions of Android will not update the signal strength as frequently in order to conserve power usage. The latest app update moved the target API to Android 10, which implements this behavior stronger than previous versions. Do you see the same behavior when you're watching the app while driving in a car?

before the diagnostic report. there was a freeze so i fc the app.

then later, there were long delays between data updates.

so i took a diag report.

i compared the *#0011# data and the app.

*#0011# works normal showing data every sec

but the app have minutes of delays. the rsrp updates just as same. and i dont see snr anymore

1d31e3a930fc4bbf734409b959bf0aca.jpg

It's also dependent on the new Android 10 APIs providing 5G info, which is dependent on the manufacturer implementing it. So far the V50 hasn't had any 5G data in the reports even when on an active 5G connection.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2020 at 9:40 AM, sunmybun said:

before the diagnostic report. there was a freeze so i fc the app.

then later, there were long delays between data updates.

so i took a diag report.

i compared the *#0011# data and the app.

*#0011# works normal showing data every sec

but the app have minutes of delays. the rsrp updates just as same. and i dont see snr anymore

The information displayed on system screens like what you see with *#0011# often comes from proprietary methods that third-party apps do not have access to. SignalCheck is only able to display what the OS reports.

When you say "the rsrp updates just as same" do you mean that LTE RSRP is updating frequently in SCP but nothing else is?

The lack of SNR would be because your device is not reporting SNR. Many devices do not report it unfortunately, or sometimes it will be available on certain software updates but not others.

As I asked previously -- do you see the same lack of updates when you're watching the app while driving in a car? Or does it update more frequently?

On 3/3/2020 at 8:49 PM, jthawks said:

So I just got the t mobile s20 plus,  it shows 5g but sc is showing band 2. Is sc incorrect?

11 hours ago, ImmerStark said:

I think Mike said 5g support was coming in the next big update.

2 hours ago, Grabber5.0 said:

It's also dependent on the new Android 10 APIs providing 5G info, which is dependent on the manufacturer implementing it. So far the V50 hasn't had any 5G data in the reports even when on an active 5G connection.

Grabber is correct. Support for 5G information was added in Android 10, but I have yet to see a device reporting 5G information via the API so far. Once I get an example of that, I'll be able to do something useful with it in SCP. Devices showing the "5G" icon in the status bar are using something the mobile provider has baked into their software.

Users can help me out by submitting a diagnostic report while connected to 5G (About > Send Diagnostics). I don't need multiple reports from each user, but each time you get a software update it could be useful.

The information displayed on system screens like what you see with *#0011# often comes from proprietary methods that third-party apps do not have access to. SignalCheck is only able to display what the OS reports.
When you say "the rsrp updates just as same" do you mean that LTE RSRP is updating frequently in SCP but nothing else is?
The lack of SNR would be because your device is not reporting SNR. Many devices do not report it unfortunately, or sometimes it will be available on certain software updates but not others.
As I asked previously -- do you see the same lack of updates when you're watching the app while driving in a car? Or does it update more frequently?

Scp is updating less frequently in all aspects.
yea, i see what you mean about the *#0011# proprietary methods.

i am watching the app as im in sitting in a table and moving the phone around. also i am watching the app by walking around.

There is an issue impacting some Android 10 devices where log files cannot be imported or exported despite the appropriate permissions being granted. Users will see an error message about files not found or permission denied.

I am looking into the matter, but if you experience it and have not already been in touch with me, send a diagnostic report from within the app. That is the best way for me to see all of the pertinent information about your device as well as any error messages or permissions issues in the background. Thanks!

EDIT: I discovered the problem and will be working on it, but it will likely be several days before I can get it finished. Thanks for your patience!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sunmybun said:

Scp is updating less frequently in all aspects.
yea, i see what you mean about the *#0011# proprietary methods.
i am watching the app as im in sitting in a table and moving the phone around. also i am watching the app by walking around.

As I mentioned previously, if your device is not moving and the signal is stable, newer versions of Android will not update the signal strength as frequently in order to conserve power usage. The latest app update moved the target API to Android 10, which implements this behavior stronger than previous versions. Next time you are moving around at a faster speed and longer distance (car, bus, train, etc), see if the updates are more frequent. I often have to hop in my car and drive around to test, because sitting at my house the updates are as infrequent as you describe -- it's just how Android behaves now.

• Like 1

As I mentioned previously, if your device is not moving and the signal is stable, newer versions of Android will not update the signal strength as frequently in order to conserve power usage. The latest app update moved the target API to Android 10, which implements this behavior stronger than previous versions. Next time you are moving around at a faster speed and longer distance (car, bus, train, etc), see if the updates are more frequent. I often have to hop in my car and drive around to test, because sitting at my house the updates are as infrequent as you describe -- it's just how Android behaves now.

kk
yeah, i figured newer android versions esp 10 are limiting some app aspects. ill test out different senarios.

you did make an app to make our lives easier,
and im thankful.
also, thank you for your time and responses.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikejeep said:

There is an issue impacting some Android 10 devices where log files cannot be imported or exported despite the appropriate permissions being granted. Users will see an error message about files not found or permission denied.

I am looking into the matter, but if you experience it and have not already been in touch with me, send a diagnostic report from within the app. That is the best way for me to see all of the pertinent information about your device as well as any error messages or permissions issues in the background. Thanks!

EDIT: I discovered the problem and will be working on it, but it will likely be several days before I can get it finished. Thanks for your patience!

Thanks Mike. I'm one of those users being impacted. If you need anything let me know how I can help.

• Like 2

i submitted a report but as promised, a screenshot showing SC and then the actual system LTE reporting.  Since the last update, SC is holding on  and displaying LTE bands that it has long since been moved off of.  It has tripped me up a few times thinking they cranked up something on band 26 to extend it a lot further. lol

Attach01.png

• Like 2