SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Mike, did you ever figure it what was causing network information not to update on new LG devices? It only refreshes on launch or when certain changes happen to the connection. SCP has been basically useless to me for the past 6 months 😭

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2020 at 5:10 PM, ImmerStark said:

Mike, did you ever figure it what was causing network information not to update on new LG devices? It only refreshes on launch or when certain changes happen to the connection. SCP has been basically useless to me for the past 6 months 😭

Sorry it took awhile to get back to you, I was digging through this thread and my emails to refresh my memory as to what you're referencing.. nothing is coming to mind?

On both my Sprint LG V50 and Unlocked Amazon LG G8 information on signal check only refreshes on launch or under some Network change conditions. Basically it's almost always displaying very stale info.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, ImmerStark said:

On both my Sprint LG V50 and Unlocked Amazon LG G8 information on signal check only refreshes on launch or under some Network change conditions. Basically it's almost always displaying very stale info.

I've notice mine can be slow to update sometimes. By any chance are you using split screen?

On 1/24/2020 at 8:23 AM, ImmerStark said:

I am not

Oh ok. I was curious cause I know mine does that in split screen if I don't have SC selected. Was just curious

On 11/29/2019 at 11:38 AM, mikejeep said:

The latest update to SignalCheck Pro will be available on Google Play within the hour! Here is a summary of the notable changes:

• Added limited recognition of 802.11ax Wi-Fi connections.

As always, thank you for your support. I hope everyone has an enjoyable Thanksgiving weekend!

-Mike

How do you identify this? Almost all the current AX stuff out there doesn't do OFDMA and even one does OFDMA only on the DL.  Are you able to distinguish the difference and maybe add a note if OFDMA is actually being used?

• Like 1

Mike, did you ever figure it what was causing network information not to update on new LG devices? It only refreshes on launch or when certain changes happen to the connection. SCP has been basically useless to me for the past 6 months [emoji24]
Do you have it exempt from battery optimization? If not, try that

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

On 1/23/2020 at 7:36 PM, ImmerStark said:

SignalCheck uses a native Android routine that "listens" for signal changes, and refreshes the app's data when any new mobile info is "heard". The frequency at which this data is provided is controlled by the OS. There is no reason for SCP to refresh the data more frequently, because it is already showing the latest information the OS has. Other apps (Network Signal Guru) access the modem directly, which is completely different and provides far more frequent updates (at a cost of power consumption of course).

With each new release of the Android OS, it has been more and more aggressive about conserving power, thus reducing the frequency that certain tasks/routines/updates are executed. One of the most significant differences is that if the OS detects your device is relatively stationary, it will not update the mobile signal data. If it detects you are moving, it will update it more frequently. Does SCP appear to update more frequently for you while driving?

On 1/29/2020 at 12:14 PM, red_dog007 said:

How do you identify this? Almost all the current AX stuff out there doesn't do OFDMA and even one does OFDMA only on the DL.  Are you able to distinguish the difference and maybe add a note if OFDMA is actually being used?

It's a very broad "hack" of sorts for now -- if the device reports a speed greater than what 802.11ac is capable of, SignalCheck calls it 802.11ax. It's the most educated guess I can make at this point based on what methods are available to third-party devs.

-Mike

• Like 1

I can drive several miles without it updating. I've been trying to pay attention and it looks like the signal strength bars on the notification bar aren't changing either. So it does look like it's an issue with the phone rather than scp.

17 minutes ago, ImmerStark said:

I can drive several miles without it updating. I've been trying to pay attention and it looks like the signal strength bars on the notification bar aren't changing either. So it does look like it's an issue with the phone rather than scp.

Yuck. That seems like either a bug or some extreme attempts by LG to save power. Did you try excluding SCP from battery optimization as ingenium suggested? The system signal bars are typically based off the same routines that SCP uses. Unfortunately that's beyond my control.. ☹️

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ImmerStark said:

First thing I tried

I'm curious if an app is screwing up the background data for app. 

Since the last update of signal check pro my 1X and 3G data never populate at all never. The only info I get is LTE. I'm using the Samsung Note10 plus

Send me a diagnostic next time you see that please! About > Send diagnostics, be sure to include your username and brief description of the problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikejeep said:

Send me a diagnostic next time you see that please! About > Send diagnostics, be sure to include your username and brief description of the problem.

I did send a diagnostic report

I forgot to mention this is on Android 10. I don't know if it was your update or the Android update when this issue started

2 hours ago, ddaniels3968 said:

I forgot to mention this is on Android 10. I don't know if it was your update or the Android update when this issue started

It is a problem with the Samsung Android 10 update. They broke a lot of things behind the scenes.. I have some workarounds in testing now. Sending you a PM momentarily.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2020 at 4:21 PM, mikejeep said:

It is a problem with the Samsung Android 10 update. They broke a lot of things behind the scenes.. I have some workarounds in testing now. Sending you a PM momentarily.

Stinks they did that

That makes sense because I'm no longer seeing 1x data on my Note 9 since the Android 10 update.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, bretton88 said:

That makes sense because I'm no longer seeing 1x data on my Note 9 since the Android 10 update.

Yep, No CDMA 1x data on SCP since Android 10 on Galaxy s9.

Yep, No CDMA 1x data on SCP since Android 10 on Galaxy s9.

Do you have VoLTE turned on? VoLTE being on and connected to a supported eNB causes the phone to drop the CDMA connection, so it will only display LTE.

12 minutes ago, ingenium said:

Do you have VoLTE turned on? VoLTE being on and connected to a supported eNB causes the phone to drop the CDMA connection, so it will only display LTE.

I turned on  VOLTE long enough to give it a good test.  It was not satisfactory.  People would tell me I was breaking up, or that they could not hear all of my conversation.  This was because I was being held on Band 41 at very poor levels mostly inside buildings.  VOLTE will not work on Band 41 at levels of -115 to-130.   I will never understand why Sprint decided it was a good idea to use band 41 down to -130 levels when nobody has a phone that could transmit back to the cell site. 

I have an S9 with Android 10. Most of the new aggregation options are checked.  Some aggregation is happening, but not 25 or 26 with 41. When they fix that, I will try VOLTE again.  Now using old reliable CDMA 1x and SCP is not showing the CDMA stats.

• Like 1

I didn't see that volte had become an option with the Android 10 update. it's been off, so that isn't the issue.

The missing CDMA data on Samsung devices that have updated to Android 10 is not related to VoLTE, it is a bug in Samsung's update. I have a workaround in testing that seems to resolve it.. hope to get an app update rolled out tonight for everyone!

• Like 6