SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

In Crystal City and Pentagon City Metro stations, the 02 and 1A sectors of 0303DFxx are used with PCI 403.  In Pentagon Metro, the 01 and 19 sectors of 0303DFxx are used with PCI 234.  So in my database, I set the notes for each of the sectors differently to match where they actually belong.  That is, 0303DF02 and 0303DF1A say "Crystal City/Pentagon City (U)" while 0303DF01 and 0303DF19 say "Pentagon Metro (U)".  Despite this, the note for the 01/19 sector is showing even though I'm connected to 1A in the picture.  (But then the correct note is used for the neighbor cell!)

I know that the sectors are linked so that the app is smart enough to link newly-seen sectors together (as well as connecting B41 with B25/B26) and when you set a site note from within the app it rewrites all the associated ones, which is all fine and preferred, but I didn't think it did that when reading back out of the database as well. 

Thoughts?

- Trip

Sounds like you might not be setting strongest_rsrp, strongest_latitutde, and strongest_longitude in your database?

1) There doesn't tend to be usable GPS in subway stations (underground).

2) The neighbor notes were correct.  It was the site I was connected to (which had the GCI available for matching) that was incorrect.

- Trip

• Like 1

1) There doesn't tend to be usable GPS in subway stations (underground).

2) The neighbor notes were correct.  It was the site I was connected to (which had the GCI available for matching) that was incorrect.

- Trip

I believe the SCP uses just the first 6 characters of the GCI when saving site notes? It then assigns that note to any other GCIs with the same first 6 characters. That's probably what you are running in to. 

Okay...so this has probably been answered before, but...

When you Export Site Logs, Where is the file saved?

In the SignalCheck directory on the phone itself (not the SD card).  So if you plug in your phone and have MTP enabled, on your computer (assuming Windows), your phone should appear, open that, then the phone's storage, then SignalCheck.

- Trip

• Like 1

In the SignalCheck directory on the phone itself (not the SD card). So if you plug in your phone and have MTP enabled, on your computer (assuming Windows), your phone should appear, open that, then the phone's storage, then SignalCheck.

- Trip

Thanks Trip!

I found the folder using ES File Explorer, and I am uploading copies of the files to my Google Drive.

I'll email them to you this week.

Thanks Trip!

I found the folder using ES File Explorer, and I am uploading copies of the files to my Google Drive.

I'll email them to you this week.

Excellent, thanks! :)

- Trip

• Like 1

Edit: (Mods if this should be in another Thread Please move it where appropriate)

So I'm road tripping this holiday weekend from Seattle To Salt Lake City.

I'm hoping they filled in some of the gaps along I-84 in Idaho and Northern Utah but not holding my breath.

I figured I'd enable logging in SignalCheck Pro while driving but wasn't positive if I should enable the option for "Log Sites with Missing GCI?

Is that really beneficial at all? or is it something that would just make the log file more bloated without any useful info?

-J

Edited by sleet

• 3 weeks later...

Mike...

In displaying "W-DAS," what/how is SignalCheck Pro detecting DAS?  I see this occasionally, often just fleetingly on AT&T band 17 and band 4.  I do not think that I have caught it on AT&T band 2.

a2xfdu.png

AJ

Mike...

In displaying "W-DAS," what/how is SignalCheck Pro detecting DAS?  I see this occasionally, often just fleetingly on AT&T band 17 and band 4.  I do not think that I have caught it on AT&T band 2.

a2xfdu.png

AJ

I'm pretty sure Mike is detecting based on the last two digits of the GCI.  AT&T is very consistent in that way.

I've seen B2 DAS before, but mostly B17.

- Trip

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure Mike is detecting based on the last two digits of the GCI. AT&T is very consistent in that way.

I've seen B2 DAS before, but mostly B17.

^ This; it's all GCI-based. AT&T is very clean with its GCI patterns. I have a very reliable source who provides me with nearly all of my AT&T info. If anyone on AT&T sees a GCI but doesn't see a band indicator, grab a screenshot and let me know; I believe the app has that network 100% covered at the moment.

-Mike

• Like 1

^ This; it's all GCI-based. AT&T is very clean with its GCI patterns. I have a very reliable source who provides me with nearly all of my AT&T info. If anyone on AT&T sees a GCI but doesn't see a band indicator, grab a screenshot and let me know; I believe the app has that network 100% covered at the moment.

-Mike

Psst..

Nokia / Alcatel-Lucent 3rd B41 carrier appears to end in Gci 41,42,43.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 4

-Mike

What ironic timing!  Yesterday, while I was out and about, I think I spotted the first four-sector AT&T site I've ever seen.  It fit the pattern except the fourth sector was a logical continuation of the existing pattern--and was not identified accordingly.  So LTE 1900 was 08/09/0A/0B, LTE 700 was 0F/10/11/12, and LTE AWS was 16/17/18/19, but the 0B, 12, and 19 sectors were not IDed.  I have screenshots on my AT&T phone and will send them later.

- Trip

• Like 1

-Mike

You've got mail.

- Trip

• Like 2

What ironic timing!  Yesterday, while I was out and about, I think I spotted the first four-sector AT&T site I've ever seen.  It fit the pattern except the fourth sector was a logical continuation of the existing pattern--and was not identified accordingly.  So LTE 1900 was 08/09/0A/0B, LTE 700 was 0F/10/11/12, and LTE AWS was 16/17/18/19, but the 0B, 12, and 19 sectors were not IDed.  I have screenshots on my AT&T phone and will send them later.

- Trip

Take a look at eNodeB 180321 / 184321 for another one.

One thing that seems odd is your upload and download channels are different. They should be the same for B41. Not sure what your phone was doing just then.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

One thing that seems odd is your upload and download channels are different. They should be the same for B41. Not sure what your phone was doing just then.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Some devices show an invalid number on the upload channel since TDD-LTE uses the same channel for both. Tends to be Samsung devices that do that if I'm remembering right.

Considering adding this phone to my collection:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F9N5QXI

Particularly for catching AT&T HSPA (unactivated SIM) and possibly T-Mobile AWS/PCS LTE since my LG Leon tends to camp on 700.  What does SCP do on a device with dual SIM support?  Can it see both at once or is it just one at a time?

- Trip

Considering adding this phone to my collection:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F9N5QXI

Particularly for catching AT&T HSPA (unactivated SIM) and possibly T-Mobile AWS/PCS LTE since my LG Leon tends to camp on 700.  What does SCP do on a device with dual SIM support?  Can it see both at once or is it just one at a time?

Unless my understanding of how a dual SIM device operates is incorrect, it just has two physical SIM slots -- but only one is active at any given time.  In no way is the device attached to two networks at the same time.  That would require multiple baseband modems, which I do not believe a dual SIM device possesses.  Essentially, the inactive slot acts as a carrying case for that SIM and obviates the need to remove and swap between two SIMs.

AJ

Unless my understanding of how a dual SIM device operates is incorrect, it just has two physical SIM slots -- but only one is active at any given time.  In no way is the device attached to two networks at the same time.  That would require multiple baseband modems, which I do not believe a dual SIM device possesses.  Essentially, the inactive slot acts as a carrying case for that SIM and obviates the need to remove and swap between two SIMs.

AJ

That's disappointing, if true.  I'm wondering why it wouldn't be something resembling SRLTE, where it's authenticated and listening to both at once while only actively connected to one.  That doesn't require two modems, right?

- Trip

That's disappointing, if true. I'm wondering why it wouldn't be something resembling SRLTE, where it's authenticated and listening to both at once while only actively connected to one. That doesn't require two modems, right?

- Trip

That's the way the old dual SIM phones worked (around 2011). My friend had one and it would show his signal on both networks. He set one as the default for data and texts and calls, but incoming texts and calls on the other would still work, and it would default to using that one if the other one lost service.

Sent from my Nexus 6P