SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Correct. I don't think this new method will work on as many devices as the existing methods do, and as of right now it does require root also.

-Mike

Excellent!  If I was sitting, I would be on the edge of my seat. :)

- Trip

• Like 3

I just caught up on this thread after a few weeks. I'm as gitty as a school girl!!!

im-as-happy-as-a-little-girl.jpg

AJ

• Like 3

I just caught up on this thread after a few weeks. I'm as gitty as a school girl!!!

Your setup has become tiresome.

Now is ze time on S4GRU vhen ve dance!

AJ

• Like 3

Hmm I'm not sure why this would be happening. My Nexus 5X is running 6.0.1 and has no issues. Have you tried clearing SCP's permission out of SuperSU and then re-adding it when prompted?

-Mike

Just tried that to see, it did not help. Not sure why it's not working. Anyone else with an M9 that could test? Worked perfect same rom on 5.1. Updated firmware of course and clean install.

Just tried that to see, it did not help. Not sure why it's not working. Anyone else with an M9 that could test? Worked perfect same rom on 5.1. Updated firmware of course and clean install.

Do you get any sort of error message when you click the Reset button, from SignalCheck or otherwise?

-Mike

I do have another trick up my sleeve.. not sure why that stopped working though. If anyone is seeing this issue, please send a diagnostic report from within the app. I haven't been able to replicate the problem in my Clearwire market.

-Mike

Is the update still being worked on. SCP is still showing band25 when on band 41 clearwire.

Is the update still being worked on. SCP is still showing band25 when on band 41 clearwire.

Yes. Slowly but surely I am quietly squashing bugs, but I have not tackled this specific one yet.

I did, however, confirm this morning that I have resolved the issue with limited LTE information being displayed when 1X+LTE appear together on newer devices!

-Mike

• Like 14

Mike,

I've been having a logging issue with my Verizon phone (Moto E on 5.1).  While I occasionally get the 1X/LTE bug, it seems to be unrelated to that.  Basically, what happens, is the phone just randomly stops logging.  It gives no indication that I've noticed other than that I get home from a trip to find that the log hasn't recorded anything, unless I made a note on a new site and the note has all the GPS/timestamp fields blank.  The only way I've found to get it back is to disable logging, close SCP, then reopen SCP and reenable logging.  Rebooting the phone, without those steps, does not bring back logging, or at least, it didn't the one time I tried it.

Not sure how to reproduce the issue, unfortunately.  Wish I knew.

- Trip

Mike,

I've been having a logging issue with my Verizon phone (Moto E on 5.1).  While I occasionally get the 1X/LTE bug, it seems to be unrelated to that.  Basically, what happens, is the phone just randomly stops logging.  It gives no indication that I've noticed other than that I get home from a trip to find that the log hasn't recorded anything, unless I made a note on a new site and the note has all the GPS/timestamp fields blank.  The only way I've found to get it back is to disable logging, close SCP, then reopen SCP and reenable logging.  Rebooting the phone, without those steps, does not bring back logging, or at least, it didn't the one time I tried it.

Not sure how to reproduce the issue, unfortunately.  Wish I knew.

- Trip

It's a Moto E issue. There are quite a few of us using it to map Verizon, and we've been having lots of issues in SignalCheck, CellMapper, and Sensorly. Sometimes toggling location off/on fixes it.

It looks like sometimes it gets stuck in a state where information is only returned during handover. I believe it may also be one of the devices where the first record returned by the 4.2 Cell ID API isn't necessarily the connected cell.

EDIT: The author of CellMapper is using the GSM variant of the Moto E and hasn't been able to duplicate the issue. He suspects it is isolated to the CDMA variant.

• Like 1

I've been having a logging issue with my Verizon phone (Moto E on 5.1). While I occasionally get the 1X/LTE bug, it seems to be unrelated to that. Basically, what happens, is the phone just randomly stops logging. It gives no indication that I've noticed other than that I get home from a trip to find that the log hasn't recorded anything, unless I made a note on a new site and the note has all the GPS/timestamp fields blank.

Do you know if it happens if you keep SignalCheck in the foreground the entire time? Do you know if it happens if you leave the app's Location Service disabled?

As JWMaloney says below, apparently there's an issue with the CDMA Moto E. Even if I can't figure out what the issue is, if we can identify how to resolve it I might be able to implement a workaround:

It's a Moto E issue. There are quite a few of us using it to map Verizon, and we've been having lots of issues in SignalCheck, CellMapper, and Sensorly. Sometimes toggling location off/on fixes it.

It looks like sometimes it gets stuck in a state where information is only returned during handover. I believe it may also be one of the devices where the first record returned by the 4.2 Cell ID API isn't necessarily the connected cell.

EDIT: The author of CellMapper is using the GSM variant of the Moto E and hasn't been able to duplicate the issue. He suspects it is isolated to the CDMA variant.

Thank you for the info, I wasn't aware of this issue. SignalCheck shouldn't have any trouble if the first cell isn't the connected one. Even though that has appeared to be the industry norm to this point, I assumed that could eventually change.

-Mike

Do you know if it happens if you keep SignalCheck in the foreground the entire time? Do you know if it happens if you leave the app's Location Service disabled?

Mike,

I only ever keep SignalCheck in the foreground on my non-Sprint phones.  Nothing logged.

I don't disable location service, though I could try it if that would help. 

- Trip

• Like 1

I only ever keep SignalCheck in the foreground on my non-Sprint phones. Nothing logged.

I don't disable location service, though I could try it if that would help.

Thanks. At least I know it's not getting killed off in the background or anything like that. Does the onscreen information keep updating, or does it appear frozen when the logging stops?

Just trying to pinpoint exactly what might be going on. If anyone else is experiencing the same issue, feel free to chime in.

-Mike

Thanks. At least I know it's not getting killed off in the background or anything like that. Does the onscreen information keep updating, or does it appear frozen when the logging stops?

Just trying to pinpoint exactly what might be going on. If anyone else is experiencing the same issue, feel free to chime in.

-Mike

Mike, the on-screen information keeps updating, which is why it's so hard to detect.  But nothing at all in the log updates, not even the timestamp for "last seen" and no new rows at all.

Usually, the way I notice it (if I do at all) is when I move out of range of a sector I've never seen before of a site I have in my log for a different sector, and the neighbor cell doesn't show the note because it didn't log that sector.  But that's really specific case that I don't usually encounter, and requires a lot of attention that I can't really spare while driving.

- Trip

• Like 1

Mike, the on-screen information keeps updating, which is why it's so hard to detect. But nothing at all in the log updates, not even the timestamp for "last seen" and no new rows at all.

Gotcha. Next time you notice it happening, can you send a Diagnostic Report to me and let me know? The only thing that would block a log entry from being recorded is an invalid PLMN, unless there is an sqlite issue going on behind the scenes. Hopefully something will be in the log that reflects it. If you have logcat access, keep an eye on it; within the app you can watch it under the Diagnostics menu tab if you scroll all the way down.

-Mike

Gotcha. Next time you notice it happening, can you send a Diagnostic Report to me and let me know? The only thing that would block a log entry from being recorded is an invalid PLMN, unless there is an sqlite issue going on behind the scenes. Hopefully something will be in the log that reflects it. If you have logcat access, keep an eye on it; within the app you can watch it under the Diagnostics menu tab if you scroll all the way down.

-Mike

That reminds me, I have also had an issue on this phone before where a PLMN is shown on the screen but attempting to set a note says there is no PLMN available.  The two don't seem to be related, though, as I've been able to set notes while it is not logging otherwise (as noted above). 

- Trip

That reminds me, I have also had an issue on this phone before where a PLMN is shown on the screen but attempting to set a note says there is no PLMN available.  The two don't seem to be related, though, as I've been able to set notes while it is not logging otherwise (as noted above). 

- Trip

That sounds familiar. I've been unable to get Sensorly working on the Verizon Moto E because it seems to pick up everything but the PLMN.

That reminds me, I have also had an issue on this phone before where a PLMN is shown on the screen but attempting to set a note says there is no PLMN available. The two don't seem to be related, though, as I've been able to set notes while it is not logging otherwise (as noted above).

That sounds familiar. I've been unable to get Sensorly working on the Verizon Moto E because it seems to pick up everything but the PLMN.

Hmm. It could very well actually be a problem with the PLMN causing issues then. A Diagnostic Report while it's happening should show me what I need. Keep an eye out for any of these circumstances if you don't mind!

-Mike

On the s7 edge I am seeing Unknown (18) instead of 1x.

Per the Android docs, there is no network type 18. 1X should be reported as type 7. When you see this, can you send a Diagnostic Report? Not sure if there will be anything useful in it, but I'm curious. Are you sure it should be reporting 1X when you're seeing this?

-Mike

Per the Android docs, there is no network type 18. 1X should be reported as type 7. When you see this, can you send a Diagnostic Report? Not sure if there will be anything useful in it, but I'm curious. Are you sure it should be reporting 1X when you're seeing this?

-Mike

I already sent one a couple minutes after the post. I will send you another.

Not sure if it is connected to anything other than wifi the signal is real weak ie no bars. When I turn off/on Airplane it shows 1xRTT for a second.

• Like 1

So I decided to be adventurous and download the new Android N beta preview on my Nexus 6p and on Signal check is not getting the static 1X signal anymore once you come off call or switch into a new cell site once losing data but it's only been a few hours so I'll keep looking out for it but it seems to be working as it should.

• Like 1