SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Once again, shoddy Moto X Pure engineering screens, but SCP identifying B25 second carrier, but engineering showing G Block. This is on latest beta.

Because many of the LTE engineering screen fields are not populated, I would tend to side with SignalCheck Pro on this one.  On the 2015 Moto X, be sure not to leave the LTE engineering screen in the recent apps drawer for more than a day or two.  For some reason, it does not like that and starts to misbehave.  You have to close it and whip out the dialer code again.

I really like the aesthetics of my white/bamboo 2015 Moto X.  The screen to body ratio makes the size manageable, and the hand feel is solid.  But the RF performance is only average.  And the engineering screen/Signal Check Pro issues are beyond the pale.  So, this beauty queen likely is going into very early retirement.  I await the imminent shipment of my Nexus 5X.

AJ

• Like 1

Because many of the LTE engineering screen fields are not populated, I would tend to side with SignalCheck Pro on this one. On the 2015 Moto X, be sure not to leave the LTE engineering screen in the recent apps drawer for more than a day or two. For some reason, it does not like that and starts to misbehave. You have to close it and whip out the dialer code again.

I really like the aesthetics of my white/bamboo 2015 Moto X. The screen to body ratio makes the size manageable, and the hand feel is solid. But the RF performance is only average. And the engineering screen/Signal Check Pro issues are beyond the pale. So, this beauty queen likely is going into very early retirement. I await the imminent shipment of my Nexus 5X.

AJ

Hopefully they fix the engineering screens in the Marshmallow upgrade. I reported it the first day that my phone was working.

I very rarely pull from recent apps for the engineering data, force of habit to enter the dialer code.

Probably not a high priority item, but a boy can dream.

Sent from Moto X Pure via Tapatalk

Once again, shoddy Moto X Pure engineering screens, but SCP identifying B25 second carrier, but engineering showing G Block. This is on latest beta.

Sent from Moto X Pure via Tapatalk

Keep in mind that while 1x data is showing, LTE data is not updating properly. Until the GCI and PCI data populates properly, you cannot trust the provider info to be correct.

• Like 1

I have to say the bright yellow is hard to read the text.  Wonder if you could invert to black text on Yellow.  Also i did not notice yellow on LTE or 1x icon in my notification shade, only the ehrpd/evdo icon.  I think the color coding is nice, especially once I switch to Project Fi when my 5X arrives. :)  Marshmallow 6.0 on Nexus 5

Also, from the screenshot I posted above, I noticed the CQI now updates along with the RSRP and RSRQ on my S6.  Past Samsung Galaxy devices did not refresh the CQI and always seem to stay at the "1" value. 

On that note what is CQI used for?  

• Like 1

Trying to resolve a 3G data connection issue and I have a SCP question for the guru's:  What does it mean when SignalCheck Pro reports that mobile data is "unregistered" when I have the "Preferred Network Type" set to 3G?

Additional Info:

Last week I activated a new Moto X Pure Edition on the Sprint network via MVNO Ting.  I ordered the phone with a Sprint SIM card.  When I turned the phone on, it tried to activate on Sprint.  I canceled that activation and went through the steps to activate via Ting.  The phone appeared to activate just fine.  Voice, text, LTE and Wi-Fi are all working without any obvious issues. 

3G data is not working.  If I set Preferred Network Type to "LTE (recommended)", mobile data works on LTE but if I travel to an area that has not yet been upgraded to LTE, it will not drop back to 3G.  Further, if I choose 3G as the Preferred Network Type regardless of whether the phone is connected to an LTE tower or a non-LTE tower, I get no data connection and SCP reports that mobile data is unregistered.  Same for Global - no 3G connection.

HOWEVER, if I choose "1x" as the Preferreed Network Type then the phone will established a data connection.  The phone reports this connection as 3G in the status bar but the speed is so unusable that I doubt it can be a 3G connection.

I've done a carrier wipe a couple of times, updated the device config (profile on my Nexus 5) and updated the PRL.  Nothing changed.  I did not have this issue with my Nexus 5.

Anyone have a clue what's going on?

Thanks much,

DC

Trying to resolve a 3G data connection issue and I have a SCP question for the guru's:  What does it mean when SignalCheck Pro reports that mobile data is "unregistered" when I have the "Preferred Network Type" set to 3G?

Additional Info:

Your post has little to do with SignalCheck Pro.  Likely, it will be moved to the Ting discussion thread.

You ordered a 2015 Moto X with a Sprint SIM.  That is not a Ting SIM.  Yes, I know that many, if not all Sprint MVNOs use Sprint branded SIMs.  But you made a miscalculation by ordering a Sprint SIM, then expecting that to activate and work seamlessly on Ting.  Certain UICC ID ranges may be assigned to Sprint, other ranges assigned to MVNOs.  We do not know.  However, you should not assume.  You should contact Ting for support to confirm that the 2015 Moto X is an eligible device and to request an actual Ting SIM.

AJ

• Like 1

Your post has little to do with SignalCheck Pro.

However, you should not assume.  You should contact Ting for support to confirm that the 2015 Moto X is an eligible device and to request an actual Ting SIM.

AJ

Actually, my question is specific to SignalCheck Pro.    I'll repeat it:  "What does it mean when SignalCheck Pro reports that mobile data is "unregistered" when I have the "Preferred Network Type" set to 3G?"

I only included the other information as background to why I need the question answered.  Advising me not to assume is good advice but I didn't assume anything.  You did.  I contacted Ting before I purchased the phone, was told that it was eligible and was told the Sprint SIM would work.  I'm trying to resolve the issue myself and need to understand what SignalCheck Pro is telling me.  If anyone has any other info that would help, that would be cool.

DC

• Like 2

Your phone is reporting that your device is unregistered with the network. If your phone has no data and it say unregistered it most likely a problem with your network and not SCP. SCP just reports what your phone is saying. Sometimes the phone has issues and causes issues with SCP.

• Like 4

SCP Feature Request:

Ability to hide BSL in expandable notifications, especially when user notes are available.

Thanks!

Just to be clear as a bell for Mike (at first glance) the "Hide BSL With User Notes" option is only being applied to the SCP display screen and NOT respected in the notifications. Could be a bug, could be new feature, we'll let Mike decide. :-D

• Like 2

My indicators work properly on my S5, but my eHRPD indicator is now bright yellow when I pull down from the notifications bar.

I have to say the bright yellow is hard to read the text.  Wonder if you could invert to black text on Yellow.  Also i did not notice yellow on LTE or 1x icon in my notification shade, only the ehrpd/evdo icon.  I think the color coding is nice, especially once I switch to Project Fi when my 5X arrives. :)  Marshmallow 6.0 on Nexus 5

Yes the yellow did turn out to be pretty obnoxious didn't it! I can only change the background color, and it can only appear in the pulldown. I will find a better shade that is easier on the eyes; that's the default Android 'yellow'. The idea behind this feature was to let Project Fi users quickly see which provider they are connected to -- yellow (Sprint) or magenta (T-Mobile). Other users had asked for a similar feature so I expanded it to AT&T (blue) and Verizon (red) as well. I'll pick a more subtle color and also add an option to disable it in the preferences. I realize it has limited usefulness until LTE roaming spreads, but I try adding what I am asked to add.. ;)

Last week I activated a new Moto X Pure Edition on the Sprint network via MVNO Ting.  I ordered the phone with a Sprint SIM card.  When I turned the phone on, it tried to activate on Sprint.  I canceled that activation and went through the steps to activate via Ting.  The phone appeared to activate just fine.  Voice, text, LTE and Wi-Fi are all working without any obvious issues. 

3G data is not working.  If I set Preferred Network Type to "LTE (recommended)", mobile data works on LTE but if I travel to an area that has not yet been upgraded to LTE, it will not drop back to 3G.  Further, if I choose 3G as the Preferred Network Type regardless of whether the phone is connected to an LTE tower or a non-LTE tower, I get no data connection and SCP reports that mobile data is unregistered.  Same for Global - no 3G connection.

"Unregistered" basically means that the network thinks your device has not been activated. Your LTE connection is handled by your SIM and activated with that serial number, so that probably went through fine. Your 3G data connection does not use the SIM, and activation of that is tied to your device's serial number (IMEI/MSID). Check and confirm that you provided Ting with the correct information about your device.

SCP Feature Request:

Ability to hide BSL in expandable notifications, especially when user notes are available.

Just to be clear as a bell for Mike (at first glance) the "Hide BSL With User Notes" option is only being applied to the SCP display screen and NOT respected in the notifications. Could be a bug, could be new feature, we'll let Mike decide. :-D

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure how it's actually coded, but I agree that it should be hidden in the notifications if it's supposed to be hidden on the main screen. I've been working on a couple glitches that cause an invalid BSL to appear when there shouldn't be one at all, so I'll put this on the list too.

The latest beta seems stable, so I plan to make those tweaks to the notification coloring I mentioned above and push out a public update. As usual, I'm not making any promises on timing, but I'll post here when there is some news! :)

-Mike

• Like 8

Your phone is reporting that your device is unregistered with the network. If your phone has no data and it say unregistered it most likely a problem with your network and not SCP. SCP just reports what your phone is saying. Sometimes the phone has issues and causes issues with SCP.

Thanks.  Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting a problem with SCP.  Just trying to understand the error message.

"Unregistered" basically means that the network thinks your device has not been activated. Your LTE connection is handled by your SIM and activated with that serial number, so that probably went through fine. Your 3G data connection does not use the SIM, and activation of that is tied to your device's serial number (IMEI/MSID). Check and confirm that you provided Ting with the correct information about your device.

-Mike

Thanks much Mike.  This is the answer I was looking to get.   I'll verify again the info I gave Ting but they think it's correct for what that's worth. 

What voodoo is at play that lets me get a 1x data connection but not 3G?  Is there a report within SCP that would help me communicate the problem to Ting?

Appreciate your help.

DC

What voodoo is at play that lets me get a 1x data connection but not 3G?  Is there a report within SCP that would help me communicate the problem to Ting?

I'm not sure, but it seems like there was an issue with your data activation somewhere along the way. I'd certainly point out to them that your voice, 1X data, and LTE data connections work fine, but EV-DO does not. There isn't much that SignalCheck can help you with other than that mobile data status at the top of the screen.

-Mike

• Like 1

Downloaded and latest beta and everything seems to be running fine....

Still having issues with scp from dev preview 1-3 and marshmallow 6.0

I'm guessing it's how the engineering screens is reporting things but wanted to show you what I'm seeing....

1b2cc8c3e976333f685bb8e6f6952a9a.jpga508bc7c7592a08d11cb4755599d8e0a.jpg5aa5b89fae31b91af02f45983aa01d65.jpgd75cacd40992ec940e5c39bc7822b3a9.jpga3c8f6ecfcbc5ac8be1a265d42fb2c73.jpg

I've tried with and without site notes, so I don't think that's the issue.

Anything you need from me or do we have to wait for Google to fix the issue, if ever.... Others on the n6 are having the issue, not sure about other phones.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Downloaded and latest beta and everything seems to be running fine....

Still having issues with scp from dev preview 1-3 and marshmallow 6.0

I'm guessing it's how the engineering screens is reporting things but wanted to show you what I'm seeing....

I've tried with and without site notes, so I don't think that's the issue.

Anything you need from me or do we have to wait for Google to fix the issue, if ever.... Others on the n6 are having the issue, not sure about other phones.

The 1x + LTE "bug" affects all devices running 5.1 or later. As far as I'm aware, there is no fix for it, as this is what the OS is now reporting.

• Like 1

The 1x + LTE "bug" affects all devices running 5.1 or later. As far as I'm aware, there is no fix for it, as this is what the OS is now reporting.

That's unfortunate ... Very annoying and makes scp nearly unusable. Run lte discovery to get gci or location. Unless it's showing correctly.

Hopefully Google will change this!

That's unfortunate ... Very annoying and makes scp nearly unusable. Run lte discovery to get gci or location. Unless it's showing correctly.

Hopefully Google will change this!

It's not entirely clear why the GCI is not discoverable. Somewhere in the last couple of pages Mike talked a bit about this issue.

My Note 4 running 5.1 has never had the issue so I don't think it's all phones running 5.1+

Sent from my Note 4

My Note 4 running 5.1 has never had the issue so I don't think it's all phones running 5.1+

Sent from my Note 4

[emoji35] good 4 Ur phone..... When u going to upgrade?

[emoji35] good 4 Ur phone..... When u going to upgrade?

After factory resetting it last week, it's like I have a new phone again. Even though Sprint is tempting me with a $10 a month lease on the Note 5, I think I'm going to hold out for the Note 6 next year when my regular upgrade is due.

Sent from my Note 4

After factory resetting it last week, it's like I have a new phone again. Even though Sprint is tempting me with a $10 a month lease on the Note 5, I think I'm going to hold out for the Note 6 next year when my regular upgrade is due.

Sent from my Note 4

Try to get them to do a 12 month lease at that price.... I want to test the note 5 and buy the 6p. Just like my working scp.