SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Op now it's working. Accept now the GCI disappers when I turn my GPS off. It never did that before

Significant changes were introduced with Android 6.0 that limited what cell and Wi-Fi info would be accessible without Location access. I believe the theory behind it was that you could use that information to deduce your location. I held off implementing those APIs in SignalCheck as long as possible because I knew it would create headaches, but they have been in place since version 4.43 of the app, which was released in June 2017. Perhaps Samsung didn't fully implement those changes in it's flavor of the OS until the new update you just applied.

-Mike
  • Like 3

Mike, I'm on Pixel 2 (not XL) running Android 8.1 and there's a really annoying, consistently re-produceable bug with multitasking. Apologies if it's already reported, but I'm pretty sure it's been in multiple releases.

If you use the BACK button to back out of the app, and then switch back to it again later, you can exit the app normally. If you use the HOME or app switcher buttons instead, it's like the app creates a new activity view and pushes it onto the history stack. It's cumulative too, so sometimes you have to end up pressing BACK or menu -> Exit multiple times to back out of all the views before the app will finally close.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Sorry for the double post. Made a video of the bug in action:
To reproduce:
1. Switch away from the app without using the back button.
2. Use the notification to switch back.
3. Try to exit app.

Huh.. very strange -- I'm not able to reproduce this on my Pixel 3. One other person reported it to me a few months ago (I don't think it was you) but I was not able to reproduce that on my original Pixel. Do you have a custom launcher, memory management app, or anything else installed that you can think of that might play a role?

-Mike
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 7:38 AM, mikejeep said:

Huh.. very strange -- I'm not able to reproduce this on my Pixel 3. One other person reported it to me a few months ago (I don't think it was you) but I was not able to reproduce that on my original Pixel. Do you have a custom launcher, memory management app, or anything else installed that you can think of that might play a role?

-Mike

Just Magisk/Xposed. I don't suppose it could be something with GravityBox? Pretty sure it happens even with that disabled, but I will confirm.

To re-produceable, make sure you're switching away from SignalCheck WITHOUT using the back button (e.g. with the home button, and then using the NOTIFICATION to switch back.

Sent two diagnostic reports just in case there's anything in there that might help. One is after following the above steps several times to trigger the bug (but BEFORE trying to exit), and the other is immediately after the first exit attempt (when the app just opens again instead).

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, JWMaloney said:

Just Magisk/Xposed. I don't suppose it could be something with GravityBox? Pretty sure it happens even with that disabled, but I will confirm.

To re-produceable, make sure you're switching away from SignalCheck WITHOUT using the back button (e.g. with the home button, and then using the NOTIFICATION to switch back.

Sent two diagnostic reports just in case there's anything in there that might help. One is after following the above steps several times to trigger the bug (but BEFORE trying to exit), and the other is immediately after the first exit attempt (when the app just opens again instead).

I was trying it without using the back button.. I tried exactly what you suggested, as well as many variations of that, using the recent tasks, home button, back button, notification icon, widget, etc.. I could not duplicate it. Please try it with Xposed and/or GravityBox disabled. I just checked out your diagnostic reports; the only errors I see are these, neither of which are being generated by SignalCheck; the third one referencing Xposed repeats numerous times over several minutes:

01-09 10:41:48.200 E/SpellCheckerSession(28997): ignoring processOrEnqueueTask due to unexpected mState=TASK_CLOSE scp.mWhat=TASK_CLOSE
01-09 10:41:48.200 E/SpellCheckerSession(28997): ignoring processOrEnqueueTask due to unexpected mState=TASK_CLOSE scp.mWhat=TASK_CLOSE
01-09 10:41:53.642 W/zygote64(29404): ClassLoaderContext size mismatch. expected=1, actual=2 (PCL[] | PCL[];PCL[/data/dalvik-cache/xposed_XResourcesSuperClass.dex*2802528989:/data/dalvik-cache/xposed_XTypedArraySuperClass.dex*708326108])

Let me know how it goes! Send diagnostics if you have issues, before and after are great -- you never know where an obscure error is going to get flagged and point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
-Mike

Stock S8

I reported extra instances maybe a week ago through diagnostics.  When I use the notification and the app is already open and it opens another instance over top. Then I have to close or back how ever many times I opened +1 to get out of the app. Animation is a slide from right to the left when opening another instance and slide from the left to the right when closing an instance.

Also I see wifi calling in the app when only connected to wifi(Wifi+[null]) and nothing connected to something else and Wifi(Wifi+LTE or WiFi+cdma). 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Flompholph said:

Stock S8

I reported extra instances maybe a week ago through diagnostics.  When I use the notification and the app is already open and it opens another instance over top. Then I have to close or back how ever many times I opened +1 to get out of the app. Animation is a slide from right to the left when opening another instance and slide from the left to the right when closing an instance.

Also I see wifi calling in the app when only connected to wifi(Wifi+[null]) and nothing connected to something else and Wifi(Wifi+LTE or WiFi+cdma). 

Hmm.. just dug out your report too, I don't see anything specific that might cause multiple instances. Any recollection which version this started with?

Regarding your Wi-Fi Calling icon, at the time of your report your device was reporting the voice side was connected to the 1X macro site, not Wi-Fi Calling. I have discovered that many phones do not reliably report Wi-Fi Calling status to the OS in the only manner I can access it. As you have seen, in certain instances it shows properly, but sometimes it does not. I'm still trying to find better ways to access this info.

Also, I do see you have the root EARFCN method enabled, perhaps unnecessarily? It's logging lot of errors, are you seeing any error messages on your end? You can turn that off under Preferences > General > Enable Modem Commands if you're not using it; it would save some system resources.

-Mike

SCP has been reopening on me as well on occasion. I've had it happen on all of my devices including my unrooted stock Pixel 2XL and Nexus 6P running LineageOS 15.1. It usually happens when I access SCP through the notification.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mikejeep said:

Also, I do see you have the root EARFCN method enabled, perhaps unnecessarily? It's logging lot of errors, are you seeing any error messages on your end? You can turn that off under Preferences > General > Enable Modem Commands if you're not using it; it would save some system resources.

-Mike

Just trying to break your app:devil:. But only 2 toast messages on start up. But I will turn it off and restart phone to give you a clean log. I did not think it would fill the cat file with errors.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Flompholph said:

Just trying to break your app:devil:. But only 2 toast messages on start up. But I will turn it off and restart phone to give you a clean log. I did not think it would fill the cat file with errors.

Hey it doesn't bother me, you're the one wasting battery for no reason.. 😉

-Mike

• Like 1

. . . Also I see wifi calling in the app when only connected to wifi(Wifi+[null]) and nothing connected to something else and Wifi(Wifi+LTE or WiFi+cdma). 

Aha! This explains my issue.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

I managed to get my old HTC EVO LTE test device to duplicate the multiple instances bug. I can't figure out why it's not impacting my Pixel 3, but I guess that doesn't matter. I think I see what is causing the issue.. can anyone confirm that this behavior started with version 4.49 (released October 2018)? Or did it not appear until the most recent release from last month, 4.51?

-Mike

4 hours ago, mikejeep said:

I managed to get my old HTC EVO LTE test device to duplicate the multiple instances bug. I can't figure out why it's not impacting my Pixel 3, but I guess that doesn't matter. I think I see what is causing the issue.. can anyone confirm that this behavior started with version 4.49 (released October 2018)? Or did it not appear until the most recent release from last month, 4.51?

-Mike

Fairly sure the old version had the issue too. Can you send me a copy to confirm?

2 hours ago, JWMaloney said:

Fairly sure the old version had the issue too. Can you send me a copy to confirm?

I loaded an old version myself after I posted, the issue appears to be related to the change in October that I suspected.. thanks! I think I've already got a fix working.

-Mike

• Like 3

Can you add a feature to allow users of the app to change the max-min of the bars on the Status Bar Notifications from SignalCheck?
I would like to set them so I know what true strength I have...a2fc765c6adee6dbca1ee369aa881a22.jpg

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk - S4GRU

40 minutes ago, DesotoTyler said:

Can you add a feature to allow users of the app to change the max-min of the bars on the Status Bar Notifications from SignalCheck?
I would like to set them so I know what true strength I have...

The true strength is best represented with the RSRP option. (Network Type and Signal strength).

The true strength is best represented with the RSRP option. (Network Type and Signal strength).
I meant the signal bars. There should be a setting to change how many bars display at a certain strength...

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, jthawks said:

Saw this come up but not seeing a small cell near byc7d9c788a5bbf340198790c279652cd1.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

All small cells that we have seen in Ohio have a PCI of 450 or greater.

Saw this come up but not seeing a small cell near byc7d9c788a5bbf340198790c279652cd1.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Its basically a mini mac. We do have a small cell in the Cincinnati market that is broadcasting 2 signals with different pci and gci. Mike did that just incase its discovered somewhere else also.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk