SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Public app update coming Saturday evening, stay tuned! The beta changelog on the website shows what's coming. Unfortunately, some very annoying bugs still aren't resolved, but I'm still trying.. no sense in holding back all of the other goodies though.

-Mike

• Like 14

Public app update coming Saturday evening, stay tuned! The beta changelog on the website shows what's coming. Unfortunately, some very annoying bugs still aren't resolved, but I'm still trying.. no sense in holding back all of the other goodies though.

-Mike

Awesome! Can't wait!

SignalCheck thread or specific market thread, please. The indicator is for a second carrier.

AJ

Fanfare time.. SignalCheck Pro 4.29 has been released! It will be available shortly on Google Play. The long delay in a public update was mostly because I was trying to resolve some significant bugs; some have been fixed, some have not. There are some nice new features to enjoy though. Here's the scoop with the changelog:

Added indicators for Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile LTE bands 25, 26, and 41.
Added indicators for Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile LTE second carriers.
Added indicators for nTelos LTE band 25 second carriers.
Added indicators for nTelos LTE bands 25, 26, and 41.
Added indicators for Sprint LTE band 41 second carriers.
The titles are fairly self-explanatory here, but these are notable improvements for a lot of users. As a reminder, second carriers are shown as a superscript two (²) within the app.

Added option to add color to notification pulldown based on connection type or major US mobile provider on Android 5+. (Pro)
Many have been asking for colored icons; while Android design guidelines do not allow color on the status bar, there are new features that allow for limited color in the notification pulldown on Android 5+. This will come in handy for Project Fi users; set it to "provider" and you'll be able to tell very quickly if you are on Sprint (yellow) or T-Mobile (magenta). Non-Fi users will see limited value in the provider option until LTE roaming becomes widespread.

Added option to control notification icon visibility on Android 5+ lockscreens. (Pro)
Many users asked for the ability to control what is shown on the new Lollipop and Marshmallow lockscreen.. there are now some options to configure this.

Improved information display when initially connecting to some CDMA 1X networks.
Previously, a valid SID, NID, and BID were required before SignalCheck would display the CDMA 1X provider. The BID is no longer required; some devices do not acquire a BID immediately, especially with a poor signal or in certain roaming situations.

Resolved force closes at startup on many Huawei devices.
Resolved force closes on Android 6.0+ devices with Alerts or icons enabled. (Pro)

Resolved force closes when Location Service is enabled on some devices. (Pro)

Resolved issue with BSL displaying in notification pulldown when there was no connection or user preferred to hide it. (Pro)
Resolved issue with false CDMA 1X and GSM connections displayed in certain situations.
Resolved issue with occasional false alerts/indicators when LTE PLMN changes. (Pro)

Hammering out as many bugfixes as I can.. there are still many more in the queue though..

Improved Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) compatibility.

Improved crash reporting and diagnostic routines.

Updated RootTools library. (Pro)

Housekeeping-type stuff. Marshmallow introduced many new changes that required a significant amount of work behind the scenes. I specifically note RootTools in the event that someone suddenly has issues with root-only features.

As always, many thanks to my beta crew for all of their help.. and thanks to everyone for their support of the app! I will try and get an update to SignalCheck Lite out within the next couple of weeks.

-Mike

• Like 23

Love that I can hide the lock screen notification, great work.

Thanks! I'm trying over here.. sometimes it just takes me awhile to learn how to get the app to do what I want to do! If I hit the lottery, I'll go hang out in Aruba for about 6 weeks, go visit every baseball stadium in the country, then work on SignalCheck full-time for you guys..  ;)

-Mike

• Like 8

Thanks! I'm trying over here.. sometimes it just takes me awhile to learn how to get the app to do what I want to do! If I hit the lottery, I'll go hang out in Aruba for about 6 weeks, go visit every baseball stadium in the country, then work on SignalCheck full-time for you guys..  ;)

-Mike

Wish I had some lucky numbers for both of us!!

• Like 1

Odd circumstances to get to this, but IF you have notifications disabled on the lock screen already in the Apps and Notifications section of the Phone Settings menu on a Note5 (assuming any modern touchwiz iteration), AND you also check to hide from lockscreen inside SCP settings.....THEN your notifications will disappear in the status bar on the lockscreen or just on your home screen.  Therefore, the notifications disappear completely....but then sporadically come back, then disappear again. 

So, yeah, don't do this.  Mike, I'm not saying you should worry about this, but it is what it is. 

Mike, anyway we can get an indicator for WCS LTE Band 30 on AT&T?

You can get indicators for whatever you want, as long as there's an identifiable GCI pattern! If you're not sure, I can try reaching out to one of the wisest elders of S4GRU who has gotten me all of my AT&T information..

-Mike

Odd circumstances to get to this, but IF you have notifications disabled on the lock screen already in the Apps and Notifications section of the Phone Settings menu on a Note5 (assuming any modern touchwiz iteration), AND you also check to hide from lockscreen inside SCP settings.....THEN your notifications will disappear in the status bar on the lockscreen or just on your home screen. Therefore, the notifications disappear completely....but then sporadically come back, then disappear again.

So, yeah, don't do this. Mike, I'm not saying you should worry about this, but it is what it is.

You kind of lost me.. but I do understand the part about you telling me not to worry about it.. ;) The lockscreen option is, for lack of a better term, a hack. Android gives developers very little control of what appears there, so I put in a workaround. I'm not surprised if certain specific configurations lead to odd behavior.

something is wrong on clearwire sites in Minnesota.

No, I'm guessing something is wrong with SignalCheck! I will look into that. I forget how I have it determine if it's a Clearwire site or not because I haven't broken that component in awhile..

-Mike

• Like 2

You kind of lost me.. but I do understand the part about you telling me not to worry about it.. ;) The lockscreen option is, for lack of a better term, a hack. Android gives developers very little control of what appears there, so I put in a workaround. I'm not surprised if certain specific configurations lead to odd behavior.

No, I'm guessing something is wrong with SignalCheck! I will look into that. I forget how I have it determine if it's a Clearwire site or not because I haven't broken that component in awhile..

-Mike

Clearwire sites atleast in my area the GCI starts with 02A. Service mode also shows I'm on band 41 when this happens.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Looks like it may be misreading the PLMN?

Just to be clear. This is only happening on Clearwire  sites. Sprint band 41 are working fine. So far 2 clearwire sites ive found this. Could be more. dont know yet.

Looks like it may be misreading the PLMN?

Both Clear and Boost use 311870, so the PLMN is likely correct. I'm guessing that I broke something in the code that determines which one it is when I added the band indicators for Boost.

-Mike

Just to be clear. This is only happening on Clearwire sites. Sprint band 41 are working fine. So far 2 clearwire sites ive found this. Could be more. dont know yet.

Next time you are seeing it happen, please send a diagnostic report from within the app (About > Send Diagnostics). I'd like to see what's going on behind the scenes. Please be sure to include a brief mention of why you are sending it -- I get hundreds of reports and it's hard to keep track.

-Mike

Both Clear and Boost use 311870, so the PLMN is likely correct. I'm guessing that I broke something in the code that determines which one it is when I added the band indicators for Boost.

-Mike

Ahh. That's why I didn't recognize the PLMN. Is there another way to determine a Clear B41 signal?

fyi, signal check stuck on waiting for update.

tapping will dismiss the notice but screen never updates.

on nexus 7/2013 (wifi only), android 6/mra58v

you may ask why using it on a wifi tablet, and I would say that it (used to from what I remember) provide easy visibility to wifi access point name, speed and IP information.

I have not needed to use to use it recently, so I don't know when it stopped working.

I can tell by the GCI.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I'm aware of that Tim. However the GCI market code (first 3 characters) is not unique. It is shared by a Sprint market in a different part of the country. So, while it is easy for you to tell you are connected to Clear B41, it's not as easy for the app/Mike when you just look at GCI.

• Like 1