SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

I have found the Export option, and have tapped it. I get the message that the Log was successfully exported, but I cannot seem to find it anywhere.

As other alluded to, it goes in the "SignalCheck" subfolder in your device's default storage location. The file name is a timestamp. On some phones it might be SD card, on others its internal. SignalCheck uses whatever the default is for your particular configuration.

-Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After the Android 6.0 update it causes SCP to often not update on the Nexus 6. On Android 5.1 everything worked perfectly. The engineering screens also seem to be affected, showing incomplete data. The phone reports being connected to LTE while these screenshots were taken (I turned wifi off to check after taking the screenshots):

eBUMypQl.png

zogxMuEl.png

2VHUeXfl.png

MER4TpZl.png

• Like 1

Is it possible to move the second carrier band 41 fix out of beta into normal pro? 

If you are looking for more info to put in the update we may have figured out nTelos sectors. (For now atleast I think it will change when Shentel takes over)  PLMN is 312190 for sprint to connect. Not sure if it works on nTelos normal plmn but it should.

sector Hex(sector decimal)

Band 25 GCI start with 018 end with 01(01),02(02),03(03).

Band 25 second carrier GCI start with 018 end with 0D(13),17(23),21(33)
Band 26 GCI start with 018 end with 0C(12),16(22),20(32)
Band 41 GCI start with 01B end with 01(01),02(02),03(03)
  • Like 3

Another way to handle the 1x plus LTE SCP screens is to fully display both like Signal Detector and LTE Discovery. This issue is getting more and more common, thus should be dealt with in sone fashion.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Is it possible to move the second carrier band 41 fix out of beta into normal pro?

I've been fighting to try resolving the 1X+LTE display issue, as well as the new slow/frozen screen updates being reported by some Marshmallow users. I've also been traveling nearly nonstop since early August, and I am not comfortable pushing out a public update unless I know I'll be around. I learned that lesson awhile ago!

It bothers me that public updates have become less frequent, but it bothers me more that bugs are becoming more frequent. Newer devices and newer Android versions are making making things worse, not better.  :(

I know that some interpret the lack of updates as me letting this project fall aside, but I assure you all that's not it at all. It's just gotten to a point where the bug fixes and new feature additions are much more complicated than things I tackled previously. I've mentioned before, I'm no programmer.. I am learning Java as I go, so some basic things I'm trying to do (like having multiple screens in the app that you can swipe back and forth between) are taking me a long time to figure out. When devices don't react the way the Android spec says they should, that complicates it even more.

If you are looking for more info to put in the update we may have figured out nTelos sectors. (For now atleast I think it will change when Shentel takes over)  PLMN is 312190 for sprint to connect. Not sure if it works on nTelos normal plmn but it should.

sector Hex(sector decimal)

Band 25 GCI start with 018 end with 01(01),02(02),03(03).

Band 25 second carrier GCI start with 018 end with 0D(13),17(23),21(33)

Band 26 GCI start with 018 end with 0C(12),16(22),20(32)

Band 41 GCI start with 01B end with 01(01),02(02),03(03)

So nTelos sites do not use the typical PLMN(s) or sector assignments? What if a Sprint customer connects to an nTelos site? This is the first nTelos info I've seen but if there is a thread somewhere, I'll go take a look to educate myself. I'd certainly like to have the app working well for those users.

After the Android 6.0 update it causes SCP to often not update on the Nexus 6. On Android 5.1 everything worked perfectly. The engineering screens also seem to be affected, showing incomplete data. The phone reports being connected to LTE while these screenshots were taken (I turned wifi off to check after taking the screenshots):

I just saw your post in the N6 thread also. Like I said above, I am battling these quirky new hiccups that are rendering the app useless for some people. It's frustrating because the app will work well as long as the device/OS/ROM is properly reporting data as defined in the Android documentation. Unfortunately I can't change system behavior.

Another way to handle the 1x plus LTE SCP screens is to fully display both like Signal Detector and LTE Discovery. This issue is getting more and more common, thus should be dealt with in sone fashion.

Could you clarify this a bit? From what I understand, those who experience this bug are seeing it in whatever signal monitoring app(s) they choose to run. I realize that SignalCheck isn't showing GCI for some folks that do see it in LTE Discovery, but I thought the 1X+LTE glitch was universal.

-Mike

• Like 5

I didn't know how stable the Beta was I have not seen too many complaints. I am used to looking at the sector bytes anyways and I also use a script to find most of my second carrier in my logs.

I don't think you will be able to fix the 1x+LTE bug your app is just displaying the data that the phone is telling it. You can hide it by if there is a GCI hide 1x data if no GCI and there is a BID hide LTE data. But not sure you will want to take that route. 

I think there are 4 threads for nTelos so I understand you don't follow them. The 2 of them are http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4897-lte-ntelos-west-virginia-nw-virginia-shentel-network-vision-soon%E2%84%A2/page-77 non-sponser and http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7105-ntelos-tracking/page-3 premier. The other 2 are maps Trip built which are very neat. 

LTE is very new for Sprint users very tough to connect for some. The Samsung S6 seems to be the only phone that does not need roaming turned on right now. 

• Like 2

Since getting the Moto X and being off CM, I've been running into the 1X+LTE bug a lot.  The thing that I notice the most during this when I have both, the "Serving Cell" and "PLMN ID" in the engineering screens is blank.  This is consistent across all LTE band connections, once those fields populate, SCP is accurate.  SCP is doing its job as I see the 1X numbers change and they match what is being reported in the 1x engineering screen too.  I've see both LTE and 1X listed as idle in engineering.  I'm wondering if the OS might see the eCSFB paging occurring and somehow it is remembering both connections even though only a single one is active.

Caveat, the engineering screens in the moto x are not the best as the band identification is one low and I have seen times where the band is listed as 40 (meaning 41) and the UL/DL channels are PCS G Block.

New update just went out for the beta crew.. Marshmallow is a b*tch!

-Mike

Damn you Google Play Store, show me the update[emoji5]

Sent from Moto X Pure via Tapatalk

• Like 2

Do you get the error on an active data session or is it only when your in an idle state? If the 1x disappears when a data session is started how long does it take for the 1x data to disappear from engineering screens.

With the new radio on the Nexus 6, an active data session does not fix it. Pretty much the only way is an airplane mode toggle, which works about 50% of the time (the other 50% it still has the bad data and I have to try again). When I first updated my phone it seemed to fix itself on it's own a couple times but since then I've never gotten it to correct itself without an airplane toggle, even waiting over an hour.

Sent from my Nexus 6

With the new radio on the Nexus 6, an active data session does not fix it. Pretty much the only way is an airplane mode toggle, which works about 50% of the time (the other 50% it still has the bad data and I have to try again). When I first updated my phone it seemed to fix itself on it's own a couple times but since then I've never gotten it to correct itself without an airplane toggle, even waiting over an hour.

Any idea how it works on Marshmallow with an older radio baseband?

-Mike

My M9 doesn't have the stale connection data bug on the Beta. Granted I have flashed a custom kernel and an older radio while on the most recent update. Not sure why it would matter, but I have yet to see it since flashing and I used to see it regularly before flashing. o.0

• Like 1

Any idea how it works on Marshmallow with an older radio baseband?

-Mike

I haven't tried it personally, but I saw a report on XDA that older radios don't work or have problems on Marshmallow. I'm guessing they're using some feature in the newer radio that isn't present on older radios. Might be worth trying anyway though just to confirm.

I'd also be curious if the M radio has the same issue on Lollipop. For what it's worth I tested the M preview 1 radio for a bit on Lollipop and it didn't have the issue, but I read there were some noticeable changes in service between the M preview 3 radio and the final M radio so perhaps the issue was introduced there.

Any chance of being added to the SCP beta so I can test it on M?

Sent from my Nexus 6

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, the new SCP beta instantly crashes on my GS5.  It sometimes appears to flash an error message, but too quickly to read.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit:  Strangely, the SCP icon in the status bar continues even after the screen blows up, and pulling down the status bar shows SCP detail, But the SCP screen simply won't stay alive.

Screenshot_2015-10-13-14-46-19.jpg

• Like 1

Crashing on Note 4 here running Android 5.1.1. Loads up and then crashes on beta version 4.284b on SCP. Looking forward to the next version and I know Mike & crew will have it fixed for us when he can.

• Like 1