SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

If Signal Check Pro what would show Carrier Aggregation what would it look like? Sometimes i see 1xRtt and LTE on the screen at the same time.

In a list of neighbor cells, while connected to B41, you'll see duplicate PCIs. This only works for B41, as B25/6 usually share PCIs.
  • Like 2

Does B41 squared mean second carrier or carrier aggregation?

Sent from Moto X Pure via Tapatalk

B41^2 indicates the second carrier.

If Signal Check Pro what would show Carrier Aggregation what would it look like? Sometimes i see 1xRtt and LTE on the screen at the same time.

There is no way to indicate Carrier Aggregation at this time. The only way to see CA is to look at the engineering screen and see if the SCC PCI/RSRP fields are populating. 

• Like 1

Amy movement on disabling/hiding Lock Screen notifications on Lollipop & above? Also, is be happy to help test anything M-related on my Nexus 6. I've got preview 3 up and running.

On the Note5, I was surprised to see that you can restrict the apps that can have lock screen notifications. So I disabled it from the lock screen that way. Not gonna help you on the Nexus 6, but is nice for us with the latest Samsungs.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Without going back and wading through posts, has anyone figured out what the unknown 0dbm neighbor cells are?

No.. those just seem to indicate that the device is seeing a neighbor cell that it can't identify anything about. I wonder if its an Android bug but its hard to tell. I will probably have those filtered out in a future release as they have not proven to be useful as far as I know.

-Mike

I wonder if they are Stingray devices or law enforcement fake towers. Could they belong to the other cell phone carriers?

Unlikely in this case. Those are (usually) used short-term and have limited range. They are also usually used for voice, not data, so there wouldn't be a PCI since that is for LTE. As mikejeep mentioned, it's most likely an Android bug.

Best way to be sure is to download the National SCP database notes in Premier forums that will show you the tower and where your neighbor cell is coming from for many markets. If anything shows up that isn't listed for the markets we have, it's either new or Stingray (or similar).

Best way to be sure is to download the National SCP database notes in Premier forums that will show you the tower and where your neighbor cell is coming from for many markets. If anything shows up that isn't listed for the markets we have, it's either new or Stingray (or similar).

The "Unknown" sites won't correlate to anything in the national database because there is no PCI. If there is a PCI, you don't see the "Unknown" label in the app.

Besides a bug, my best guess would be the phone is seeing the neighbor cell before it finishes identifying it. Hard to know exactly, since most of these methods are not documented well.

-Mike

• Like 2

Unlikely in this case. Those are (usually) used short-term and have limited range. They are also usually used for voice, not data, so there wouldn't be a PCI since that is for LTE. As mikejeep mentioned, it's most likely an Android bug.

Many Stingrays have now received the Hailstorm update. Allowing them to port into the IP standard of traffic. They are then fronthauled to the tower itself through the LTE connection now.

No more messy separate connection.

• Like 1

The "Unknown" sites won't correlate to anything in the national database because there is no PCI. If there is a PCI, you don't see the "Unknown" label in the app.

Besides a bug, my best guess would be the phone is seeing the neighbor cell before it finishes identifying it. Hard to know exactly, since most of these methods are not documented well.

-Mike

I have seen exactly what you describe.  A PCI may be identified at one point, not identified later, re identified an hour later, all from the same location.   This seems to be more likely where a large number of neighbors can be seen. 

Recently, another possibility has come to light: AT&T LTE sites.  SCP does not always see them as such, but rather as Sprint sites.  From a log from this morning:

Sprint 310120 00007EA7  361  17165 0  -77 40.49888  -83.9143

Similar situation has been observed with US Cellular.  Closer examination has revealed that you are unable to authenticate.  Mostly likely to happen in areas of weak Sprint signal when their site is nearby,

When I'm on 1xrtt is that 2g? Would it be easier for law enforcement to capture my data if I'm on a 1xrtt connection? I only ask because my area is covered with B26 and B41 yet for some reason I'm always on 1xrtt until I update my profile. Then I hop onto B26/B41. What could cause my Note5 to keep dropping to 1xrtt when I'm covered by B26 and B41?

running version 4.28,signal check pro largest user of battery right now on my galaxy S6.

I have logging and location enabled, location accuracy set at 100m, have even bumped up to 10km, still just eating thru battery.  Have rebooted phone, i've uninstalled and reinstalled.

• Like 1