SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Actually, the next time someone on a GS5 knows they are connected to a Clear site, please send me a diagnostic report..

-Mike

Should be in your inbox.  I connect to one all day at work.

And at home, too.  I'm available to test in either location.

- Trip

• Like 1

Should be in your inbox. I connect to one all day at work.

Thanks for the fast reply, Trip! I just checked your report.. unfortunately my workaround won't resolve the issue on the GS5 (or the Note 4, or any other Samsungs with this problem). Nothing but 310120 is showing; no valid PCI hiding in the background either. I don't think it is site-dependent; it is your device. :(

-Mike

I'd love a separate audio alert for B41/26 for those of us I'm Spark markets that are being built out. I'm always watching for new B41 towers and have to leave the signal check screen on as I drive around and glance at the phone today.

Me too!! ;)

-Mike

• Like 2

Thanks for the fast reply, Trip! I just checked your report.. unfortunately my workaround won't resolve the issue on the GS5 (or the Note 4, or any other Samsungs with this problem). Nothing but 310120 is showing; no valid PCI hiding in the background either. I don't think it is site-dependent; it is your device. :(

-Mike

Darn. :( Just to be sure, here's a snapshot showing that it's a Clear site as far as I know.  If I'm wrong, please let me know. 

Screenshot_2014-10-30-10-20-511.png

- Trip

Darn. :( Just to be sure, here's a snapshot showing that it's a Clear site as far as I know. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

Yes, you are correct, that's Clear B41. Obviously your phone is getting the correct data, it's just not reporting it to the OS. For some reason, every Samsung device started out handicapped like this.. before, you couldn't even get a GCI. Subsequent software updates eventually improved things for most devices. They must not be learning from their mistakes.

-Mike

I have used WiFi calling on my S5 since I got it in July and when connected to my WiFi at home it always shows a - 120 evdo connection on scp even though I'm not really connected to anything but WiFi.

WiFi calling takes you off network completely, so SCP is real lost. Don't worry about it.

sent from an underwater dust storm with my Sprint S5

I have used WiFi calling on my S5 since I got it in July and when connected to my WiFi at home it always shows a - 120 evdo connection on scp even though I'm not really connected to anything but WiFi.

WiFi calling takes you off network completely, so SCP is real lost. Don't worry about it.

sent from an underwater dust storm with my Sprint S5

I'm pretty sure -120 is what most devices report for disconnected on CDMA.

• Like 1

Don't recall this being asked previously, is there a way to show the location of the LTE much in the way that the BSL address shows up on 1xRTT in cdma mode?

Curious to know

No. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure -120 is what most devices report for disconnected on CDMA.

Correct, -120 indicates no connection.. but the app should take that into account. If you can grab a screenshot next time it happens -- or even better, send a diagnostic report while it's happening -- I can take a look.

Don't recall this being asked previously, is there a way to show the location of the LTE much in the way that the BSL address shows up on 1xRTT in cdma mode?

I know Tim already stepped up, but just to expand on his reply, 1X is the only protocol that broadcasts base station coordinates. There is nothing comparable for EV-DO, LTE, UMTS, WCDMA, or anything else. It gets brought up often but this thread is huge.

-Mike

• Like 1

Correct, -120 indicates no connection.. but the app should take that into account. If you can grab a screenshot next time it happens -- or even better, send a diagnostic report while it's happening -- I can take a look.

Sent you one.

- Trip

• Like 1

I know Tim already stepped up, but just to expand on his reply, 1X is the only protocol that broadcasts base station coordinates. There is nothing comparable for EV-DO, LTE, UMTS, WCDMA, or anything else. It gets brought up often but this thread is huge.

-Mike

Which is why I brought it up because I must have skimmed over the previous times it was brought up. I blame Evelyn Wood.  :D

Good to know though.

TS

• Like 1

The new update is recognizing about 60-70% of Band 41 in Tampa. Still some Clear sites it's not showing as Band 41.

Are you saying it only shows some Clear sites, or never shows any Clear sites? If you never see any, it's the Samsung bug. If you do see some but not all, send diagnostics next time you see something wrong so I can check it out.

-Mike

Are you saying it only shows some Clear sites, or never shows any Clear sites? If you never see any, it's the Samsung bug. If you do see some but not all, send diagnostics next time you see something wrong so I can check it out.

-Mike

I noticed this too but on my LG G2. Clearwire LTE builds are now being identified as B25. The app is showing 8T8R sites correctly as B41 although it would have been nicer to get a better site band label

Actually, it looks like there are more issues than just a frozen icon -- the app says LTE but is displaying a 3G connection, and the system icon is showing 3G.

Is this also on an S5? Did it happen on previous versions of the app, or have you only seen it on the new one? These are the first reports I've heard of this sort of thing. Hopefully we can at least narrow it down to WiFi calling on the S5 and/or the latest app update.

-Mike

This happened on the note 3 and M8 as well for me. Its an android bug that I guess. It will say a type of connection, and no signal bars but data works. Engineering screens show void info as well when it happens to me.

So your phone reads the signal strength of nearby sectors and towers even as your connected to one? That does make a ton of sense but I never thought about that.

Yes. Now if you are not on LTE it will not see those. I'm still getting use to it. If you have notes for all your bands might be easy. I only put notes in for B26 & B41 so it is challenging for me.
  • Like 1