SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Can you work it to re-prompt and re-clean the entries every 3ish months or something?

The point of the cleanup was to get rid of the unreliable entries from when the app had issues identifying B41.. those issues should be gone, so why would you want them to be deleted again? There is already an option within the app to clear the entire log if that's what you're looking for.

Are there band 26/41 notifications on this version?

No, not yet. I was holding off until they were both working well, so if there were future issues I would know they are related to the Alerts, not the actual band identification. B26 is definitely solid. After this one is in the wild for a couple of weeks without any problem reports, I will feel comfortable enough declaring B41 to be stable as well.

I mentioned it the other day, the Alerts code needs to be gutted, and I plan on doing it all together. I also will be adding various band identifier icons.

-Mike

• Like 2

The update is awesome! But is this normal?

LT4QtEK.png?2

Are the site's different sectors identified under different PCIs? 'Cause that's 5 PCIs for one site, one of which is displayed twice. And the "352" PCI is at -97 yet its not part of the site I'm connected to.

I live in a signal black hole due to a hillside in between me and the tower. When I turn off Wifi the screen won't update until I connect to cellular data. Also when I turn wifi on the screen won't update until it tries to connect to cellular signal. You may need to add what ever code to update the screen when no signal or wifi only. What I mean by screen won't update is stale signal strength will be displayed. Not sure if this could be tested by turning off mobile data.

The point of the cleanup was to get rid of the unreliable entries from when the app had issues identifying B41.. those issues should be gone, so why would you want them to be deleted again? There is already an option within the app to clear the entire log if that's what you're looking for.

-Mike

You mentioned wondering if there'd be issues for someone encountering clear sites after having escaped the spring cleaning due to not having any entries before it. So i was suggesting maybe reprompting once, for those who want to/know they need to some point down the line.

The update is awesome! But is this normal?

Are the site's different sectors identified under different PCIs? 'Cause that's 5 PCIs for one site, one of which is displayed twice. And the "352" PCI is at -97 yet its not part of the site I'm connected to.

It's probably normal.. those might be B25, B26, and B41 PCIs all at the same site. Each sector does have its own PCI. In my area, B25 and B26 sectors pointed in the same direction share the same PCI, but I don't know if it's the same everywhere.

I'm not getting any neighboring cells on my s5. I have it ticked on in the settings.

*but surprisingly I am showing b41 for a clear site even though I am on a Samsung device.

Others have reported the S5 doesn't show neighbor cells, just another strike against Samsung. Are you sure that's a Clear B41 site? It's being identified as B41 because of the GCI (third character is odd).. is there a chance it's a Sprint 8T8R B41 site? If it's Clear, you're just getting lucky because of the odd character.

I live in a signal black hole due to a hillside in between me and the tower. When I turn off Wifi the screen won't update until I connect to cellular data. Also when I turn wifi on the screen won't update until it tries to connect to cellular signal. You may need to add what ever code to update the screen when no signal or wifi only. What I mean by screen won't update is stale signal strength will be displayed. Not sure if this could be tested by turning off mobile data.

The app has always behaved like this, it only updates the screen when a mobile signal or mobile connection is changed. All of the WiFi data is passive.. it only updates when something on the mobile side changes or when you bring the app into the foreground. I designed it this way intentionally as it's a secondary function of the app and it keeps down the battery/CPU usage, however minimal it may be.

I had plans to add options for active WiFi scanning, but nobody has ever asked for it and I had other priorities. I can make it more of a priority now that I know somebody might appreciate it.

You mentioned wondering if there'd be issues for someone encountering clear sites after having escaped te spring cleaning due to not having any entries before it. So i was suggesting maybe reprompting once, for those who want to/know they need to some point down the line.

I thought (incorrectly, thankfully) perhaps the cleanup prompt would appear if someone found B41 for the first time after this update, which would not be desirable because I anticipate any B41 found from this point on is legitimate. Nobody should need to do any scrubbing from here on out.

-Mike

• Like 2

Wonder if samsung will ever get themself together...

Probably not, they'll just release more phones. Pains me because I use a Samsung phone and I WANT this feature!

Hey, at least they finally learned how to spell "engineering".

sent from an underwater dust storm with my Sprint S5

I bet the necessary fixes are fairly easy on their end, but those in a position to fix it have no idea it's a problem that anyone notices. Although they did improve things on the S3 and S4 in later software updates, so maybe things will improve over time. I try pestering them whenever I have a chance. Has anyone tried that "Refresh" app on an S5 or Note 4?

Hey, at least they finally learned how to spell "engineering".

Baby steps, right? That only took 5 years.. LOL

-Mike

• Like 2

Now if SCP could know the difference between B25 and B26 sites in the neighbor list.

Can you tell that there is no optimization done yet?

Yeah, I wish I could.. but the only bits of info that Android provides for neighbor cells is the PCI and RSRP. PLMN is also supposed to be reported, but in testing it is always null, so I just ignore it. Impossible for me to determine much of anything with just those two readings. As I noted in the changelog, even the site note is just a best guess.

-Mike

• Like 1

Others have reported the S5 doesn't show neighbor cells, just another strike against Samsung. Are you sure that's a Clear B41 site? It's being identified as B41 because of the GCI (third character is odd).. is there a chance it's a Sprint 8T8R B41 site? If it's Clear, you're just getting lucky because of the odd character.

-Mike

I'm in sf and no 8t8r here yet. It seems like all the clear sites here have an odd 3rd character in the cgi. Maybe it's only an sf thing. I wonder if any other markets are like that.

I'm in sf and no 8t8r here yet. It seems like all the clear sites here have an odd 3rd character in the cgi. Maybe it's only an sf thing. I wonder if any other markets are like that.

There are some. There aren't just many of them as SF was one of the last markets to be cluster launched and started 8T8R additions much later than other mature markets. 

There are some. There aren't just many of them as SF was one of the last markets to be cluster launched and started 8T8R additions much later than other mature markets.

Inside sf proper? I know there are some in the SF market like oakland. But I didn't realize there were some in the city. I have to re look at the premier maps again.

Oh man so jelly of those who actually can see neighboring cells... im stuck with my GS5...

• Like 2

Mike I sent you a diagnostic report. My update isn't identifying Clear B41 properly. I have SCP SS if you want them. 

I just saw your report.. your G2 is not reporting the PLMN properly. Has it been sleeping around with a Samsung and contracted that disease? ;)

It is reporting the PLMN in another area that is a newer Android routine that most phones don't use yet. I seem to recall some similar reports from G2 users when the phone was first released.. I thought it was resolved with a radio update, but perhaps I just ignored it instead. Have you ever seen anything besides 310120 in any version of SignalCheck?

-Mike

Are all samsung products having the No neighboring cell no show issue? or is it just the S5? Can't decide if a previous baseband flash could fix it.

I just saw your report.. your G2 is not reporting the PLMN properly. Has it been sleeping around with a Samsung and contracted that disease? ;)

It is reporting the PLMN in another area that is a newer Android routine that most phones don't use yet. I seem to recall some similar reports from G2 users when the phone was first released.. I thought it was resolved with a radio update, but perhaps I just ignored it instead. Have you ever seen anything besides 310120 in any version of SignalCheck?

-Mike

It reports both. Just depends on the tower. Some towers report correctly. I've only been on that one Clear tower since doing the update. I will be out and about more tomorrow.