SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Yep, pretty simple to do. I haven't merged my complete area yet but I have most of it done already. Pretty slick so far and no issues!

Once it goes out public I will probably make one for a few folks in my area.

calling out to bosox.... :D  :D  :D  :D

I received your report, thanks.. are you sure you have seen other GCIs on that version of Android? The error I saw in the log is related to a new HTC security permission that I believe got added with the KitKat update, and isn't in the public version of the app yet (it's in the beta that is in testing now).

I'm not sure. It could have been before the KitKat update. Do you have a rough time-frame on the update currently in beta being released? I saw something about mid-April on your website, is that correct?

I'm not sure. It could have been before the KitKat update. Do you have a rough time-frame on the update currently in beta being released? I saw something about mid-April on your website, is that correct?

I don't want to jinx it.. but let's just say that the way things are looking, you should be counting in hours, not days..

-Mike ;)

• Like 8

I have discovered that a lot of people are very sensitive about updating their apps for some reason.. it's a delicate balance between the frequency and value of pushing out an update. I love seeing the update button light up for my favorite apps, but others apparently find the 10 seconds they spend downloading/installing something to be the worst part of their week. I'm not out to change human behavior, so I just try to adapt to it. ;)

-Mike

For anyone complaining about too often updates you can refer them to play store > settings > auto update apps > do not auto update.

Alternatively, play store > my apps > pick which ever app to not auto update > menu > uncheck auto update.

Edited by dedub
  • Like 3

For anyone complaining about too often updates you can refer them to play store > settings > auto update apps > do not auto update.

Alternatively, play store > my apps > pick which ever app to not auto update > menu > uncheck auto update.

99% of all users should auto-update every app they have on their mobile device and on their computer.  The vast majority of users have no idea if an update is good or bad.  They often leave publicly known security exploits on their computer or mobile device by staying on old compromised versions of software.  Then their computer or mobile device becomes a spam machine, DDOS machine, key logger, bot, host for bad software, etc. after some bad person on the internet scans for software with certain known exploits.  Most of these scans are run on computers they have already compromised so that they can build up their bot net anonymously.

Only people who really know what they are doing and can tell good updates from bad should worry about manual updates.

• Like 2

99% of all users should auto-update every app they have on their mobile device and on their computer.  The vast majority of users have no idea if an update is good or bad.  They often leave publicly known security exploits on their computer or mobile device by staying on old compromised versions of software.  Then their computer or mobile device becomes a spam machine, DDOS machine, key logger, bot, host for bad software, etc. after some bad person on the internet scans for software with certain known exploits.  Most of these scans are run on computers they have already compromised so that they can build up their bot net anonymously.

Only people who really know what they are doing and can tell good updates from bad should worry about manual updates.

I don't disagree at all. But that was not the point of my post.

• Like 1

Oh I am aware of those options, but that is not the source of the problem. The unhappy customers don't usually seem upset about the automatic or manual methods they choose to use.. just the fact that an app is being updated "too often". I think the same folks who get annoyed with frequent updates are those who don't like to see apps with pending updates in their list.

Like I said, I'm not going to try (or succeed at) changing anyone's personal preferences or behavior, so I just try to adapt to it.

-Mike

• Like 1

It's here! It's here! It's finally here! No, not the Android 4.4.3 update due today.. but it's almost as cool: SignalCheck has received it's long-awaited update. Pro version 4.24 has been pushed out to Google Play and should be available shortly.

It's been a long 3 months, but it was worth the wait. Greatly improved stability, better Spark recognition, and logging features are the biggest improvements in this version. Here are the major changes:

Added location features and options. (Pro)

Enabling the "Location Services" option will cause the device's location to be calculated for display of latitude/longitude on the main screen and/or be included in the log (see below for log details). Users can configure the accuracy/power settings for this feature in the Preferences menu. A location icon will illuminate on the main screen when the service is active, and a quick-toggle is available in a new dropdown menu. Activating this will increase battery usage (the extent of which will vary by device and location settings), so users may want to leave this off when not needed. 

Added logging features and options for 1X, GSM, and LTE sites. (Pro)

Enabling the optional "Site Logger" will create a SQLite database that will save an entry for each site that is connected to. If location services are enabled, each entry will include the coordinates of the device at the time of the entry. Each site has one entry; re-connecting to a site already in the database will update the information. An icon will illuminate on the main screen when the service is active, and a quick-toggle is available in a new dropdown menu. More details about the database structure and some more ideas of what can be done with it will be coming soon. Activating this will increase battery usage (the extent of which will vary by device and frequency of log entries), so users may want to leave this off when not needed.

Added ability for users to add notes to LTE (if GCI is identified), 1X, and GSM sites. (Pro)
Clicking on the display area of an active 1X or GSM connection will open a prompt that will allow users to enter a "site note" that will display on-screen whenever connected to that site, identified by SID+NID+BID for 1X connections, and PLMN+LAC+CID for GSM. To advertise this feature to users, a placeholder will show if there is no note entered for a site; this can be disabled in Preferences. The site notes are stored in the site log mentioned above.
Notes can also be added to LTE sites, but it is slightly more complicated. LTE sites are identified by PLMN+GCI; therefore, if your device does not show a GCI within SignalCheck, you will not be able to save LTE site notes. Also, for now, the last two characters of the GCI (I refer to them as the "sector bits") are ignored -- this allows users to enter one note that will display for a particular site, regardless of what sector it is connected to. In the future, I may add an option to allow separate notes for each sector, depending on user demand and feasibility.

Added ability for the widget to launch system shortcuts directly. (Pro)
Clicking on the widget can now trigger a variety of actions, set by the user in Preferences.

Added display of Wi-Fi channel, frequency, bandwidth, protocol suffix, and IP address.

This is the first step in an effort to improve the Wi-Fi features within the app. Wi-Fi information is currently only updated when an update is received for a cellular connection. Future updates will include an option to actively monitor the Wi-Fi connection independent of the cellular connection(s).

Added option to disable background service when app is not in the foreground. (Pro)

Due to a bug in Android 4.2+, the notification icon must remain in the status bar in order for the app's background service to remain running in the background. Users can now choose to disable this service when the app is not actively on the screen, which will also disable the widget and logging features.

Added new “Site Hint” options for major CDMA service providers. (Pro)

Thanks to input from various users, new "site hint" options are now available. Sprint users will now see two options, as there are apparently different options in different markets. I do not know which markets use which option, so choose whichever seems to properly identify CDMA 1X sectors in your area. Verizon users connected to LTE will see the BID that is colocated at the LTE site you are connected to.

Added options to display timestamp and/or device location coordinates. (Pro)

This is a step towards making screenshots more useful. Display of either item is optional, and if the app's location services are disabled or unavailable, the location display will automatically be hidden.

Improved display of LTE channel/frequency information available on some HTC devices.

The uplink and downlink channels will be displayed if available, and the frequency will be shown if it can be calculated. A different formula is needed to calculate the frequency for each LTE band, and with limited ability to identify LTE bands, this becomes complicated. Band 25, 26, and 41 frequencies should display properly; other bands will be added as they can be identified.

There are numerous additional changes that are mostly self-explanatory:

• Added BID and street address back to BSL markers in Google Maps. (Pro)
  • Added BSL display to notification icon pulldown. (Pro)
  • Added field to display when telephone calls are in progress, limited or unavailable.
  • Added option for the Reset feature to use the Jelly Bean Airplane Mode Helper Xposed module if a user prefers, instead of the method built into the app. (Pro)
  • Added option to disable expanded notification pulldown. (Pro)
  • Added system shortcut to update PRL on Nexus 5 devices. (Pro)
  • Changed label of “1xRTT 800″ to “1X 800″.
  • Changed label of Reset feature to Reset Mobile Connection. (Pro)
  • Improved recognition of Boost and Virgin Mobile LTE connections.
  • Improved recognition of Sprint “Spark” LTE connections on bands 26 (“Sprint B26″) and 41 (“Sprint B41″).
  • Improved speed and reliability of Reset feature for Android 4.2+ devices. (Pro)
  • Reset feature will now take a device out of Airplane Mode. (Pro)
  • Resolved force closes on GSM devices when the MNC-MNC was invalid.
  • Resolved force closes on some devices when connecting to LTE.
  • Resolved force closes when using the Reset feature. (Pro)
  • Resolved freezing/crashing issues on some devices when connection is lost/weak.
  • Resolved issue with 1X provider name showing as “SID: xxxx”.
  • Resolved issue with alerts failing to trigger. (Pro)
  • Resolved issue with BSL continuing to display after 1X connection is lost. (Pro)
  • Resolved issue with duplicate or unneeded 1X status bar icon on the screen on KitKat devices. (Pro)
  • Resolved issue with incorrect LTE MCC-MNC display on some Sprint devices.
  • Resolved issue with invalid LTE TAC values appearing.
  • Resolved issue with no information showing when in EV-DO only mode.
  • Some system shortcuts will now be hidden on unsupported devices. (Pro)
  • Updated GSM provider database.
Feel free to holler with any questions.. but please don't quote this entire post. A huge thank you to my beta crew for helping me out with feedback and testing over the past 3 months! As usual, the appropriate updates to the Lite version will be pushed out within the next week or so. Enjoy..

-Mike

• Like 31

Mike,

Thank you VERY much for the MUCH needed update!! You've added features I didn't even know I wanted or had thought of yet that are AWESOME (like BID address in dropdown)!! Knowing my WiFi channel and IP are such useful features as well!!

Seriously, thanks!

• Like 3

Thank u. So Samsung devices aren't able to get LTE band information or save notes?

Most pre-KitKat Samsung devices do not show the GCI.. so there is no way for the app to know which site you are connected to. I've tried communicating with Samsung, but I don't think my feedback went as far as I would have liked. The latest stock software for the Galaxy S4, S4T, and S5 does show this information (at least on Sprint), so if you have one of these, you should be fine.

Well lets cross our fingers that the long awaited nexus 5 update doesnt mess anything up!

My thoughts exactly. When I saw the 4.4.3 posts this morning, I hesitated a bit.. but if an update to SignalCheck is needed, it should be quick, since I have a N5 and Spark is popping up all around me.

-Mike

• Like 1

Most Samsung devices do not show a GCI.. so there is no way for the app to know which site you are connected to. That also prevents the app from knowing if you are on band 26, but you should still see band 41 indicated. I've tried communicating with Samsung, but I don't think my feedback went as far as I would have liked.

My thoughts exactly. When I saw the 4.4.3 posts this morning, I hesitated a bit.. but if an update to SignalCheck is needed, it should be quick, since I have a N5 and Spark is popping up all around me.

-Mike

Yep Lets just hope It is a smooth transition, and You can get a little rest from Updates and such :P

• Like 3

Most Samsung devices do not show a GCI.. so there is no way for the app to know which site you are connected to. That also prevents the app from knowing if you are on band 26, but you should still see band 41 indicated. I've tried communicating with Samsung, but I don't think my feedback went as far as I would have liked.

-Mike

Looks like the S5 shows GCI IDs now. So, a little progress!

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5795-samsung-galaxy-s5-user-thread/page-3&do=findComment&comment=306920

• Like 3

The S4T shows it...

post-517-0-28491600-1397559559_thumb.png

• Like 1

The S4T shows it...

Very good info, I don't think I was aware of the S4T displaying GCI (does the enginerring screen even show it?), and I had not sought out any S5 information yet -- excellent, thank you both! I will edit my previous posts. Hopefully this will no longer be an issue on future devices. Too bad it took so long to get this far.. I know there are a lot of S3 and S4 users who would love to see GCIs.

-Mike

Really liking the new notes ability. The bad news is. SCP is showing band 26 on a few sites when the engineering screen shows band 25. I've only hit two sites where it did this out of the ten I've gone by today uploadfromtaptalk1397570635061.jpguploadfromtaptalk1397570661238.jpg

Sent from my HTC ONE M8

Really liking the new notes ability. The bad news is. SCP is showing band 26 on a few sites when the engineering screen shows band 25. I've only hit two sites where it did this out of the ten I've gone by today

Hrmmmmm.. if those channel numbers are correct, you are right, that is band 25. The problem is, the last two characters of the GCI (09) do not follow the band 25 pattern; until now, that had been indicative of band 26.

This is disappointing.. or a misconfigured site. Or the channel numbers are wrong. Several possibilities, but I tend to trust HTC's engineering screens unless someone is aware of issues with the M8's screens? I can definitively tell you that SignalCheck is assuming that is band 26 because the GCI ends in 09, which in turn is why the (incorrect) 760/805 MHz readings are being displayed -- the B26 formula is being applied to an apparent B25 site.

-Mike