NV Upgrades improving more than just Sprint service

kornyhiv

Just to add my two cents. What I did not see mentioned in this discussion at all is how hard it is for a company to get the permits needed to operate in an area. I have lived in rural and urban areas. Currently I am in metro NY. It can be very tough and expensive for a cable or telco operator to receive an agreement with a town or city. This prevents competition in many areas! For example, FiOS came to my area in NY, however, local politicians did not want to allow it to operate video in the area because they felt the cable company would get upset. However, they finally allowed it because they believed it would lead to more competition, which it did! Likewise, my in-laws are in an area where the cable company wanted to offer a "triple-play", but the local government would not allow them to operate a telephone network. These are all issues that should be non-issues. Sometimes even when a company wants to come in, they are thwarted. Likewise I read above about certain Queens buildings not allowing FiOS in. This is usually done by the board of the building. If enough residents complain, then you can usually elect new members that would be willing to allow FiOS in. The usual response you will receive about why FiOS is not in a building is because the "older" people do not want new wires in the building. I firmly believe that we need to get back to our ways and demand nothing but the best in not only our government but the businesses we deal with everyday. Why should we invent something only to have it rolled out more efficiently overseas? A national fiber plan would, most likely, lead to a better economy just because it would make commerce that much more efficient.

I am just curious, I live in a condo building (large by Chicago standards probably not by NY standards 700+ units) and we brought in satellite and get the basic fairly inclusive basic directv package (no premiums) for $25 including 2 DVRs at no charge, basic internet 6 mbps is $30 extra (other options available). Most satellite add ons are retail price though. No restriction on bringing in cable options or ATT but the basic is included in assessment. How can her cable be $180 a month? even with internet and phone? I'm at $85 for all 3 but thats because I still have an old time ATT landline for the moment :) Sprint is just about good enough to get rid of landline, I am thinking about dropping it, love the freebies Sprint throws in if you fight (14 yrs) (extra minutes, early nights, call a landline free, my brother/wife even got to keep FIMF from old plan).

Her building has 48 units, and does not allow by law satellite dishes mounted on the roof of the building. If you check out the pricing for Time Warner Cable, you'll see how expensive it is really is, once you add the HD, international channels, etc.

On top of that, Verizon hasn't deployed fiber to that area, because they are unable to get customers because of the cable companies.

Just to add my two cents. What I did not see mentioned in this discussion at all is how hard it is for a company to get the permits needed to operate in an area. I have lived in rural and urban areas. Currently I am in metro NY. It can be very tough and expensive for a cable or telco operator to receive an agreement with a town or city. This prevents competition in many areas! For example, FiOS came to my area in NY, however, local politicians did not want to allow it to operate video in the area because they felt the cable company would get upset. However, they finally allowed it because they believed it would lead to more competition, which it did! Likewise, my in-laws are in an area where the cable company wanted to offer a "triple-play", but the local government would not allow them to operate a telephone network. These are all issues that should be non-issues. Sometimes even when a company wants to come in, they are thwarted. Likewise I read above about certain Queens buildings not allowing FiOS in. This is usually done by the board of the building. If enough residents complain, then you can usually elect new members that would be willing to allow FiOS in. The usual response you will receive about why FiOS is not in a building is because the "older" people do not want new wires in the building. I firmly believe that we need to get back to our ways and demand nothing but the best in not only our government but the businesses we deal with everyday. Why should we invent something only to have it rolled out more efficiently overseas? A national fiber plan would, most likely, lead to a better economy just because it would make commerce that much more efficient.

The board has been asking, but I don't think anything has come about it.

I'll keep bugging her parents to yell at the board, only because it will save them money in the long run.

Of course, that's another selling point of living in Jersey and not NY ;)

btw - my comment was not meant to be political in nature at all - never mentioned getting anything free or with subsidies or whatever. If you want to pay the cost to have fiber to your door, you should be able to.

If i wanted to be political, i would have noted the prevalent cable/phone monopolies and the politicians' unwillingness to crush them. I can't get get VZ FIOS because ATT owns the last mile in my area, but I'm too far from the CO to get UVERSE ... I actually switched phone svc to my Cox cable as the only alternative to the ever-increasing fees and BS service ATT was providing.

I received this yesterday from being signed up for DemandProgress.org....

Generally, this isn't the "OMG super dramatic fake political stuff you can check with snopes" emails you see spattered on Facebook or sent by unknowing folks who believe some of the stuff that circulates. Actually I've signed a couple of the petitions that DemandProgress has put in my inbox, like the SOPA petition and other things. This came to me yesterday:

(I removed the link that masked my email address, but left the link for the valid petition if any of you wish to view it)

Dear J__________,

We have the details on how various Internet Service Providers plan to implement their anti-infringement "six strikes" plans -- and it's not good.

AT&T's plan is to block access to frequently visited sites. Time Warner will constantly redirect you to a landing page. Verizon will plans to reduce connection speeds to the snail pace of 256kbps.

What do all of them have in common? None of them actually let you get up to six strikes -- and all of them have the potential, even as they claim they're not "cutting people off" from the Internet, to make free WiFi almost nonexistent.

Verizon has confirmed that its "six strikes" plan will apply to businesses, not just personal accounts. That means the cafe down the street may end up with essentially unusable WiFi if even one customer abuses the system -- and even terminate their accounts entirely.

We can't let that happen. A free and open Internet is one of the most important tools a democracy can have -- and as long as ISPs like Verizon plan to battle copyright infringement by slowing down or eliminating business's Internet access, that tool will be in jeopardy. Will you join us in urging Verizon not to bow to copyright holders at the expense of their customers?

PETITION TO VERIZON: We call on ISPs like Verizon not to pursue punitive action against businesses that provide free WiFi by slowing down or eliminating their Internet access. Help keep the Internet as free and as open as possible -- revise your "six strikes" plan now!

Click here to sign -- it just takes a second.

Thanks,

-- The folks at Watchdog.net

P.S. If the other links aren't working for you, please go here to sign:http://act.watchdog.net/login

You should edit your post. That link opens to a page with both your name and your email address.

Thanks!! Glad we are in the sponsor's forum, I know no one here would mean any harm with that info...but I didn't click the link to check, I thought it was just a generic HTTP for people to share. Replaced with the login screen, which is a little more troublesome...

The proposed "six-strike" agenda can be found in the first link, http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130111/16325521645/details-various-six-strikes-plans-revealed-may-create-serious-problems-free-wifi.shtml

I hope Sprint opens doors to new players to step-up into the game and evolve to keep things like the monopoly that AT&T and VZW from doing these evil acts..