Dish Network's Spectrum Holdings/Plan

Deval

With all this talk, or no talk, of Dish putting in a bid for Clearwire, the question comes up, what exactly is Dish planning on doing with their AWS-4 spectrum?

What would be their possible applications for it?

If Dish retains its AWS-4 spectrum, look for it to follow a LightSquared-esque model -- another carrier hosts the 40 MHz of spectrum on that carrier's platform, and Dish sells wholesale offload access to any/all comers.

On the other hand, Dish could be serious about grabbing Clearwire and its BRS/EBS spectrum. Then, Dish would have enough bandwidth in most/all markets to offer a true triple play package. Satellite video. Wireless broadband. Wireless home phone.

AJ

If Dish retains its AWS-4 spectrum, look for it to follow a LightSquared-esque model -- another carrier hosts the 40 MHz of spectrum on that carrier's platform, and Dish sells wholesale offload access to any/all comers.

On the other hand, Dish could be serious about grabbing Clearwire and its BRS/EBS spectrum. Then, Dish would have enough bandwidth in most/all markets to offer a true triple play package. Satellite video. Wireless broadband. Wireless home phone.

AJ

The problem with the Lightsquared model is that there is no ecosystem in place to deploy it. Would they deploy it as set-top boxes to offer home internet?

If you consider tower spacing, they would have to rely on Clearwire to deploy the spectrum for them, or in the LS model, Sprint to deploy it. What happens to those areas where PCS barely has coverage, AWS-4 will be the same, if not slightly worse.

The problem with the Lightsquared model is that there is no ecosystem in place to deploy it. Would they deploy it as set-top boxes to offer home internet?

If you consider tower spacing, they would have to rely on Clearwire to deploy the spectrum for them, or in the LS model, Sprint to deploy it. What happens to those areas where PCS barely has coverage, AWS-4 will be the same, if not slightly worse.

And LTE requires a higher signal strength, so the broadcast area shrinks even more. If they had a higher power receiver that could mount on a dish, it could extend the range a bit though.

Yes, to be clear, I am talking about Dish pursuing a "hotspot" offload model and/or home broadband model, neither of which requires complete coverage to be viable.

AJ

Yes, to be clear, I am talking about Dish pursuing a "hotspot" offload model and/or home broadband model, neither of which requires complete coverage to be viable.

AJ

Ahhh ok. But it would have to be deployed somehow, you know? For example, Sprint's 3G inbuilding penetration in Queens is abysmal, even with the tower spacing. If Dish were to deploy a solution there for home broadband, they would either use Sprint's tower spacing, or end up deploying their own towers to fill gaps. Otherwise how could they offer the service?

And LTE requires a higher signal strength, so the broadcast area shrinks even more. If they had a higher power receiver that could mount on a dish, it could extend the range a bit though.

Yes but on the transmit side, you would have to have panels deployed somewhere, with sufficient backhaul. I can see them making a more rural play, where customers are restricted to satellite internet. Perhaps over microwave backhaul?

Yes but on the transmit side, you would have to have panels deployed somewhere, with sufficient backhaul. I can see them making a more rural play, where customers are restricted to satellite internet. Perhaps over microwave backhaul?

true, but if you have the spectrum and more access to backhaul in the metro... You might as well offer it. It might draw more customers looking for a package deal. Especially the dish TV customers getting soaked on internet.

true, but if you have the spectrum and more access to backhaul in the metro... You might as well offer it. It might draw more customers looking for a package deal. Especially the dish TV customers getting soaked on internet.

I agree, I guess I'm just curious as to why they would want to do a wireless play if no one has the proper tower spacing in place for their spectrum.

I agree, I guess I'm just curious as to why they would want to do a wireless play if no one has the proper tower spacing in place for their spectrum.

You are basing that assessment on mobile use, not fixed use. But fixed use is an entirely different animal. Far more gain/power available.

AJ

You are basing that assessment on mobile use, not fixed use. But fixed use is an entirely different animal. Far more gain/power available.

AJ

Let's consider the fixed use role. You would still need broadcast equipment no?

Let's consider the fixed use role. You would still need broadcast equipment no?

Yes you still would, but the tower spacing is not as critical, you can just turn up the power just as long as you don't interfere. Fixed broadband is really the best use of the AWS-4 spectrum and the EBS/BRS spectrum. You can use it for OTT video to stationary/ nomadic devices, VOD, etc.

Also, with a fixed solution, you can place the receiver/router in an ideal location of your dwelling, like a window facing the tower. TaosNet, a WiMax ISP here in New Mexico, installs little receivers to the eave of your home, or in your window. Even with high frequencies, it works superbly for a home ISP solution. Even in adobe structures.

I can picture DISH having little WiMax/TD-LTE receivers built into their dishes and brought into your home via Coax to a router, just like your TV service. With that, it doesn't matter at all that EBS/BRS doesn't penetrate into your home. It wouldn't need to.

Robert

• Like 2

Also, with a fixed solution, you can place the receiver/router in an ideal location of your dwelling, like a window facing the tower. TaosNet, a WiMax ISP here in New Mexico, installs little receivers to the eave of your home, or in your window. Even with high frequencies, it works superbly for a home ISP solution. Even in adobe structures.

I can picture DISH having little WiMax/TD-LTE receivers built into their dishes and brought into your home via Coax to a router, just like your TV service. With that, it doesn't matter at all that EBS/BRS doesn't penetrate into your home. It wouldn't need to.

Robert

Agreed, came in here to say this. You can even see this with some of the hotspots Clear offers. MUCH different than an EVO4G for reception.

Ahhh ok. But it would have to be deployed somehow, you know? For example, Sprint's 3G inbuilding penetration in Queens is abysmal, even with the tower spacing. If Dish were to deploy a solution there for home broadband, they would either use Sprint's tower spacing, or end up deploying their own towers to fill gaps. Otherwise how could they offer the service?

For home wireless internet you can install fixed receivers which have vastly higher gain and are far more directional than a smart phone antenna.

It's how local WISPs around my cabin manage decent WiMax coverage even with 3 GHz+ frequencies. (Always "just" out of range :( but now that I have DSL, idc)