leozno1

Shifting focus from band-aid fixes to Network Vision

So seeing as how Sprint is aiming to have Network Vision mostly completed by the end of this year as well as the apparent inclusion of LTE upgrades to Network.sprint.com, do you think they are focusing on doing strictly NV upgrades or are there still band-aid fixes taking place?

So seeing as how Sprint is aiming to have Network Vision mostly completed by the end of this year as well as the apparent inclusion of LTE upgrades to Network.sprint.com, do you think they are focusing on doing strictly NV upgrades or are there still band-aid fixes taking place?

There are still maintenance upgrades still occurring. On legacy and NV sites. The number of legacy sites getting maintenance upgrades will be steadily dwindling over the next few months.

However, NV sites will still be getting maintenance upgrades too. If a NV site sees voice or data growth, additional carriers may need to be added. And if the site needs to order additional backhaul from the supplier, it will probably be shown as a speed upgrade.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

There are still maintenance upgrades still occurring. On legacy and NV sites. The number of legacy sites getting maintenance upgrades will be steadily dwindling over the next few months.

However, NV sites will still be getting maintenance upgrades too. If a NV site sees voice or data growth, additional carriers may need to be added. And if the site needs to order additional backhaul from the supplier, it will probably be shown as a speed upgrade.

Ahh that makes sense. I just thought that at this point they could afford to just circumvent the maintenance upgrades to the legacy equipment since they will be all but gone within the next 12 months.

Ahh that makes sense. I just thought that at this point they could afford to just circumvent the maintenance upgrades to the legacy equipment since they will be all but gone within the next 12 months.

The legacy maintenance is already paid for via previous contracts (I could be wrong, pretty sure I read that somewhere). Might as well, especially if you are in one of the later NV markets.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Maintenance upgrades are a part of capex for every wireless carrier around the world. Sprint is just more transparent and shows them to customers on a map. The problem with Sprint 3G over the past few years is that they didn't spend the money on maintenance upgrades as they should have. Now they are.

Robert

• Like 4

Robert,

Do you think legacy maintenance upgrades are taking place in parallel to NV upgrades in markets like DC? Or should we expect all 'data speed upgrades' on network.sprint.com to be NV upgrades in these active areas? Thanks.

Robert,

Do you think legacy maintenance upgrades are taking place in parallel to NV upgrades in markets like DC? Or should we expect all 'data speed upgrades' on network.sprint.com to be NV upgrades in these active areas? Thanks.

Maintenance upgrades will always be ongoing. On old legacy sites and even new Network Vision sites. You will never be able to look at the maps the way they report data now and definitely know you are looking specifically at an NV upgrades. Sometimes additional T1's can take so long to get from an ILEC, they may just be installed a little while before NV starts on a site. And that will be shown as a speed upgrade too.

Since they have so many spare 1x voice and EVDO data cards, they freely add them to legacy sites now when and where needed. So these pollute findings on the site from showing NV. Additionally, when an NV site is converted and brought online, if additional 1x and EVDO carriers are added at conversion, these will be shown on the site. And lastly, sometimes after NV conversion of a site, if there is more use than expected, they may have to come back and add some more capacity or add additional AAV backhaul.

Also, do not forget that the Sprint site also shows ALL work in the past six months. So it is entirely possible that 4 or 5 months ago, a site received a legacy speed upgrade and just recently was upgraded to NV too. It would show all these upgrades. There are no clear things to deduct by looking at network.sprint.com upgrade maps to denote the items listed are only NV or only legacy related. At least not until 6 months after the last site is completed in a market.

• Like 2

on this explanation, PR needs a lot of backhaul from samsung!!!

on this explanation, PR needs a lot of backhaul from samsung!!!

How so?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• Similar Content

• By vanko987
      I'm new to this forum, and I've seen people mention cell sites with specific ID's (for example, SF33XC664). Is there any significance to these ID's, and is there a way to decode them? Also, how do I figure out what the cell site ID's are for towers near me?
      Thanks! I'm excited to start talking on this site more 😀
    • By Paynefanbro
      I figured since Verizon's 5G-NR network officially launched it would make sense for there to be a thread for it.
    • By lilotimz
      Samsung Network Vision equipment are highly distinct and fairly easy to spot compared to the equipment that other vendors are deploying. Sprint is Samsung's first extremely massive American contract (baring Clearwire) so there  should be no issues in confusing these equipment for another carrier which happens often with Ericsson NV equipment.

Below are images of Samsung equipment which includes antennas, remote radio units, base stations, and their mounting configurations. 

Samsung antenna with eSMR 800 RRU & PCS 1900 RRU

A close look at a Samsung setup

Next Generation Samsung Configuration
      RRH-P4 4T4R 1.9 GHz  | RRH-C4 4T4R 800 MHz| RRH-V3 2.5 GHz

Next Generation 8 Port Dual Band Antenna Setup 
      4 port 800 MHz RRH-C4 800

(source: dkyeager)

(source: dkyeager)
      Narrow beam setup

High Capacity Site with 2 Antennas & 3 RRUs (2x PCS & 1x SMR).
      Second antenna is PCS only for now.

Canadian IBEZ (NO SMR)

Special Case PCS Only Setup for Canadian IBEZ

Close up of standard antenna connectors 

Samsung Cabinets

Powerpoint slides from Samsung / Sprint
      *disclaimer - all  powerpoint diagrams and images were found through public municipality online databases and is by no means misappropriated through malicious means*
      *Credit goes to those whom took pictures of these equipment. You know who you are*
    • By Paynefanbro
      I recently went on an 8 day cruise from NYC to the Caribbean that stopped in Turks and Caicos, Puerto Rico, and the Dominican Republic. My first stop was Grand Turk and there I opted for the free roaming. My S9+ automatically connected to Flow's (Cable & Wireless) LTE network where I received speeds of around 120kbps on average with boosts of up to 150kbps. Something worth noting is that on speed tests, the server prefers to default to Sprint's Miami server as opposed to local servers. Speeds were more than adequate for any amount of web browsing and honestly felt much faster than in reality. It helps that using Chrome will save you data by not loading pictures on certain sites unless you click them.
      In Puerto Rico, I connected to Band 13 on the way into the port in San Juan but once I was in the city, my phone never left Band 41. While the phone was usable, speeds remained significantly lower than what I've come to expect from 3xCA in the mainland U.S. Data speeds peaked at around 25-30Mbos but on average were in the 5-10 Mbps range even on LTE+. Signal remained strong everywhere though. 
      Finally in the Dominican Republic, I entered in Amber Cover which is in Puerto Plata. My phone latched onto a weak Band 2 LTE signal in the port from Altice (called Orange Dominicana in SignalCheck). I had trouble loading pages though. Once off of the ship and out in the open, I had a much stronger signal which allowed me to browse the internet without a hitch. Because it was the last day of my trip, while at the beach I decided to purchase the 24 hour high speed pass for $5. My speeds went from 120kbps to 65Mbps in less than 5 seconds. In some areas speeds were slower, particularly at the port where it struggled to break 2Mbps. Now, back on the boat my phone is flipping between weak Band 4 LTE and overloaded Band 5 HSPA+ from Claro (called Verizon Dominicana in SignalCheck Pro). Here is the difference in speed from before and after purchasing the high speed pass. 
    • By S4GRU
      by Jeff Foster
      Sprint 4G Rollout Updates
      Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 7:46 PM MST

Since last fall, there had been talk of a Samsung Galaxy Nexus launching on American carriers other than Big Red. Sprint has finally announced several weeks ago that it is the another vendor slated for release in the U.S. Suffice to say, many of us out there, especially those adverse to heading to Verizon and paying its premium prices, are excited about the impending release.
      The good news is that Google could be working on an updated version of the Galaxy Nexus. It has unofficially been dubbed the Galaxy Nexus Plus. There is much anticipation that it will be released before Sprint turns on LTE this summer. It’s not the first time an OEM has refreshed a device and re-released it to the market place, which works to our advantage. It’s rumored that the new Galaxy Nexus will have either a 1.5 or 1.8 GHz Texas Instrument OMAP4670 dual core processor. This would be a significant upgrade from the 1.2 GHz dual core processor found in the current Verizon version.
      We don’t know anything about official specs, but it’s also rumored to have an 8 MP camera. This is a noteworthy upgrade to the 5 MP shooter on the Verizon model (which has been lauded by many techies). We already know that the Sprint model will come installed with Google Wallet, per previous announcements. Some rumors also point to a beefier battery as well. The phone should have all the other features that’s on the current Galaxy Nexus, so now all we have to do is wait.

Source: http://androidandme....era-on-the-way/
    • It seems really big to me, but I have to admit I'm considering it.  The dual screen thing seems moderately interesting.  I'd be interested in trying it out.  EDIT:  But Best Buy has the G8X on sale right now at a very sensible price.  It's comparable in size to my G6, versus the V60 which, having looked at the dimensions, seems enormous by comparison.  My G6 is already at the very top end of what would fit in my hand.  If I got the V60, it'd be solely for the ability to use 5G, which I don't really need other than for tracking purposes--and right now, I think it's pretty safe to assume that a site with 600 MHz LTE on T-Mobile or a Massive MIMO antenna on Sprint is running 5G without having to prove it that way. - Trip
    • Official LG intro video:  
    • Any thoughts on the included dual-screen? Doesn't seem like something I'd use, would be nice to have an option where it's not included, maybe for a slightly lower price.  Battery size is nice! LG lagged a little behind on the battery for the G series for a while. https://www.cnet.com/news/hands-on-lg-v60-thinq-5g-with-8k-video-and-dual-screen/